It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Microwave Turns Plastic and Rubber Back to Oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
A US company has invented a microwave/machine that can, when the right frequencies are used, and under a vacuum, can extract oil out of plastics and rubber.

Giant microwave turns plastic back to oil

A US company is taking plastics recycling to another level – turning them back into the oil they were made from, and gas.

All that is needed, claims Global Resource Corporation (GRC), is a finely tuned microwave and – hey presto! – a mix of materials that were made from oil can be reduced back to oil and combustible gas (and a few leftovers).

Key to GRC’s process is a machine that uses 1200 different frequencies within the microwave range, which act on specific hydrocarbon materials. As the material is zapped at the appropriate wavelength, part of the hydrocarbons that make up the plastic and rubber in the material are broken down into diesel oil and combustible gas.

Similarly, running 9.1 kilograms of ground-up tyres through the Hawk-10 produces 4.54 litres of diesel oil, 1.42 cubic metres of combustible gas, 1 kg of steel and 3.40 kg of carbon black, Meddick says.

GRC - Demonstration of the Conversion of Tires to Oil and Gas - Video

Imagine how much oil can be extracted from these products that are being dumped into the landfills now. Hope this catches on and starts being used at landfills and recycling centers, or maybe even a mandatory recycling process.

[edit on 8/7/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Great find! Now this is the sort of technologies that should get more coverage and public exposure.

Flagged and I'd flag it again if I could!

However I'm wondering if the technology produces more energy than it consumes or vice versa. Regardless, the benefits of reducing the amount of waste destined for landfills cannot be compared.

new topics

join