It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC Video Aircraft Ident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I was just watching a news story and saw a plane in the background. I managed to find it online:

BBC Video Link

At first I thought it was an F-22, but the US would not even send one over for the RIAT (airshow), so im guessing its the F-35. I didnt know we even had one of these over here yet, even for a static display. I guess my question is, are there are unique identifying features to tell one from the other from the front for future reference as they both look similar? Here is a screenie I have taken if you cant be bothered with the vid:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hard to tell with so much of it obscured by the old duffer.

I'd guess a mock up of the F-35, if you ask me. Although Waynos or Westpoint would probably have a much better idea.

[edit on 8/7/07 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It certainly looks like a F35 to me, the nose gives it away.

I believe the F22 has a more pointed nose and the intakes (?) at the front are more horizontal where as the intakes on the F35 are taller and less wide.

[edit on 8-7-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I'd guess a mock up of the F-35, if you ask me. Although Waynos or Westpoint would probably have a much better idea.

Im no Waynos or Westpoint, but it is a F-35 mock up. The single engine gives it away

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sorry Fred! Wasn't trying to "exclude" you from the plane watching "elite"

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I must admit, I was quite suprised to see it there and am now disappointed to hear its a mockup
. I thought we at least had a real F-35 down there in Portsmouth. Still, I guess we shouldnt have that long to wait until we get a real one. Thanks all...

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Sorry Fred! Wasn't trying to "exclude" you from the plane watching "elite"

I just threw that in there for laughs

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Yup the nose gives it away as well as the tail section. The F-35 has a very distinguisable empange and engine housing. The entire engine housing seems to juut out of the back of te plane and gives it a very tall humpback look to the section between the tails. which the angle between the fuselage and the virtical stabalizers also seems right as well.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
www.aerospacenews.com...

the rear deck is alot flatter than the F35 - the easiest way to tell them apart

www.voodoo.cz...

sorry just had to post it - still love it even now

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
From what I can tell it is an airframe mock up of the F-35 based on the X-35 series. Only two concept demonstration (X-35) aircraft were built. First the X-35A (CTOL) which was later converted to the X-35B (STOVL) after 27 flight tests; then Lockheed built the X-35C (CV) for validation of carrier takeoff and approach (low speed handling) at Patuxent River NAS. Both aircraft first flew from Lockheed's plant in Palmdale, CA and completed initial testing at Edwards AFB. Currently the X-35A/B is on display at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport, Virginia while the X-35C currently resides at the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum. Apart from those there is only one other flyable F-35 series aircraft in existence. The pre production CTOL variant of the F-35 (AA-1) which is currently undergoing test flight at Lockheed's plant in Fort Worth, Texas.

Sources

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I didn't reply to this thread earlier because I thought it was settled.

This is very definitely a mock up of the F-35 and was used to promote the aircraft during the JCA selection process (JCA being the UK equivalent to JSF) at which variants of the Rafale and Typhoon were rejected. It has also appeared at the Farnborough airshow where it was used for the same publicity purposes.

new topics

top topics

join