It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Why should Christians demonize athiest? We love'em.

Amen.

The dirt hates the plower and the planter, until he grows something pretty in it.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Oh, i wouldn't watch Fox news if I was stapled to a chair with my eyelids cut off.

I still stop in and read occasionally and it's very good stuff, still!

I heard the ATSMIX show and it was GREAT to hear you both! Good job!

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
For those who believe in the existence of a supreme being, like myself any way... I feel no need to defend it, it's quite simply part of me therefor it needs no defending.

You may attempt to convince me otherwise, fine, have at it. Or not, as you please. Given my experiance several months ago, it'll take God, to convince me that he/she doesn't exist.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I can't speak for the rest of the atheists, but I'm not out to try to convince anyone. I just like to argue with the people that put forth some of the more odd and backwards ideas on religion in public.

Arguing with the more ... vehement and imaginative believers keeps my wits sharp.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Theres no point in arguing with atheists and no point in arguing with religious people in defense of atheism.

I've been an atheist, an agnostic, and now I have religion;

I've been on both sides of the fence and on the fence.

I know the thought patterns...and in my faith there is no dogma or punishment for unbelievers, also we tend to accept scientific principles, such as evolution, so really I can get along with the agnostics, and the atheists unless they are -really- extreme.

Originally posted by depth om
I believe that after asking certain questions, after riding certain trains of thought, to certain "stations"... one inevitabley arrives at a higher being.

Which may not even be the god you believe in...

[edit on 10/26/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Our thread seems to be coming down with a slight case of what the CIA used to call 'mission creep'.

Perhaps this is a good moment to remind our believing friends that the purpose of the thread is not to debate belief or disbelief in God. The atheist point of view is standard here; we take that as a starting point and discuss issues of concern to us as atheists. Believers and agnostics are also welcome to post their opinions on these issues, but not to make provocative statements and start quarrels. There are plenty of other threads on which believers and nonbelievers can fight their battles.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

yeah, you seem to be a bit of a deistic neo-pagan... not the standard ones i'm used to.

wait, do you do any of the pagan rituals?

anyway... yeah, this isn't really a thread to debate...maybe the occasional inquiry into atheist life and atheism would be ok... but not debate. this thread is supposed to be chill

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   
this world has no god there aint 1 ruler 1 maker there is a mass yes and humans nature and millions of universes or are we all imagining life? through braisn in a test tube? i have thousends of theorys alians are probely our gods each alian is 1 for us we have exact amount up there and down here

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
if the bible tells the truth then god needs to improve his work and start doing good things down here nothings working there is problems in this world as we speak ppl die is this gods work?

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Just a mini rant this morning --

I am fairly certain my ex's cyberstalking girlfriend has managed to find ATS. My ex did really badly in court this week, with all his lies coming home to roost. My daughter has started coming home telling me that she believes in god because her daddy does. We had quite the "discussion" about how she's too young to have to think about this stuff (at age 5). She's fixated on seeing me in heaven again someday.

She doesn't even know what the god concept IS, but her father, in order to piss me off, has put the idea in her head because it's the only thing he can find to bug me with on the internet these days.

In my own opinion, this is child abuse. Too bad the courts won't take it seriously.

This man claims to be a Roman Catholic but never sets foot in a church, doesn't pray, and in no manner whatsoever acts like a "good Christian" -- his morals are plastic, and he only uses them to get what he wants. If they get in the way, they are ignored.

Sometimes I wish there was a hell, so that he could go burn in it for hypocrisy when he dies.

What kind of person puts this stuff in a child's head just to get back at the other parent? I'd still be peeved if he did it out of faith, but at least I could sort of understand that. When it comes down to actions and ethics, I'm more of a Christian than he is, by far.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Nicely phrased...

That didn't come out quite how I intended in my previous post, I sounded a bit, I don't know, tetchy?

My own beliefs hardly dovetail with those of the typical views of god. I'd be as doomed in an inquisition as any unbeliever.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
This man claims to be a Roman Catholic but never sets foot in a church, doesn't pray, and in no manner whatsoever acts like a "good Christian"

Sounds like a Roman Catholic to me!
(j/k)

Anyway, while I agree that he's a jerk for doing that to your daughter, I don't think you will acomplish anything by trying to change her mind. If she wants to believe, that's fine. As you said, she doesn't have the age to understand the idea of god, so from her point of view is like believing in Santa. Wait until she gets older and start thinking for herself. And if she doesn't change her mind, then you could say that she only believes in god because his father placed that idea in her head just to mess with you!

On the other hand... you should be getting used to the idea that your daughter *might* get into a religion when she's older. I know, it sounds awful! But it's possible. And if that works for her and makes her happy, then you, my spaghetti friend, will have to accept it

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz
While I agree that he's a jerk for doing that to your daughter, I don't think you will acomplish anything by trying to change her mind...

Wait until she gets older and start thinking for herself.

I agree. And besides...

you should be getting used to the idea that your daughter *might* get into a religion when she's older.

Probably better to let her get into it now, then she'll start having doubts at the right age and ease out of it naturally, the way most of us did.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It's the idea that he's doing this just to piss me off that, well, pisses me off.

It's just one more attempt to use one of our children to irritate me. The fact that it's superstitious drivel is just the icing on the cake. To me it's the same as if he was taking her to Dianetics meetings.

She's smart, I know. She'll probably figure it out. But I really didn't want her exposed to this nonsense until she had hit the age of reason.

It's not religious instruction to my ex, it's a way to harrass me. If it was sincere, I'd grit my teeth and deal with it, but it's not sincere. It's more sinister than that.

I hear what you guys are saying, I'm just irritated because my ex is such a dork.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Major it looks like that you will have to grin and bear this one. If your ex knows that he is getting to you he will keep telling your daughter about such places as heaven . I would however listen carefully to what your daughter says and monitor your daughter behaviour. It is not unusual for kids to fall out with there friends and patch things up quickly but if your daughter no longer wants to see any of friends your ex may be putting cult like ideas in your kids head.

I suppose that I have just made a case to act now or later........ :sigh:

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
major, i told you my ex does the exact same thing with my son. she is as far from a catholic let alone a friggin decent person but she put our boy in the catholic school and is pumping him with it.

we have argued about it numerous times but in the end, my opinion and what i want really does not matter. she has the final word.

my son just turned 11 and he is getting to the point where he is questioning it. he has been going there since kindergarde. prayers in the morning and some kind of religious study once a day.
all their events.

about 6-8 months ago he started asking me questions and started complaing that he was board.

asking very vague questions like why this and why that? finally putting together this BS story.
---

he asks me what i beleive and i tell him. he asks me who is right and i say we can never know, that is why it is important to believe what YOU want...

his mom was yelling at me the other day because of his asking things and what i have been telling him, he has been questioning his 'beliefs' and she tore my head off for that.

personally, i think it is fantastic that he is questioning it. he should. she then tells me that i only want him to believe what i believe, just cause i do and thats not true.

i just want him to decide for himself. if he ends up going scientologist on me, if thats what makes him happy, fine.

so yesterday he called me cause was bummed that he to go to the movie theater on a field trip to see the animated story of jesus.
i started laughing and told him to think of it like at least you're not in school. put a little stash of halloween candy in your pocket and go watch the flick and see of they sing 'our god is an awesome god' from raptor jesus so thats what he is gonna do.

he is a great kid and always makes all A's. he's just not too down with this catholic stuff no mo

edit*

my point was at least with the ex, just suck it up...don't waste your time talking/fighting about it cause he won't stop. he will keep doing it just to spite you.

[edit on 2-11-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Sigh. I know you're right, BD.

I'm getting really worried about her though. Since he lost in child support court last week, she's gotten completely nutso again. She's started acting the way she did before we got involved in the custody evaluation, when he let up on her so that she'd be somewhat normal when the evaluator talked to her.

Tantrums of a child much younger, chewing her hair and clothes again, she wet her pants over the weekend which she hasn't done in months, defiant and pushing at my limits and boundaries like she doesn't know where they are, and yesterday she comes home and tells me she'd killed one of the baby chickens her dad is keeping at his house for his girlfriend.

She said originally that she'd tried to help it fly by throwing it and it died, but later she said she was mad because it pooped in her hair. She seemed like it wasn't bothering her when I picked her up from her dad, but after her bath she had a complete freakout and I had to hold her while she cried her little heart out.

How can a loving supposedly Christian parent torture his kid this way just to hurt his ex? He's such a pathetic person. If my child wasn't suffering so badly because of him, I'd feel sorry for him. But all I feel right now is a rather faint hatred (too tired to keep that up any more) and a lot of disgust.

And meanwhile my five year old has killed an animal out of anger. Which has me really worried.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
ha, aren't christians MEANT to be the moral ones?
was i misinformed?

hope you sort it out mm.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Here's a short essay I wrote earlier today...after being unable to sleep, of course. I left out a number of important issues, but it was intended to be a very brief summary of my beliefs and the beliefs of many other atheists I know, and even some agnostics. It's called Organized Religion in America & The Belief in God.

-

Organized religion in America is among the most profitable of businesses. Yes, it’s true: despite its image as a savior of people young and old, a safe house for the downtrodden and the underprivileged and one of the more important stops on the road to the redemption of the fabled soul, organized religion is on par with groups as esteemed as the most powerful of organized crime families and the largest of morally bankrupt, money-laundering multinational corporations that are more willing to leave hard working employees in the unemployment line than to conduct their business in a lawful fashion. In 2005, the Vatican, even after paying 8.9 million dollars of extraordinary expenses related to the death of Pope John Paul II and the election of Pope Benedict XVI, admitted to a surplus of more than 12 million dollars--all of it tax-free. To make matters worse, the American government officially sanctions this through the Internal Revenue Service (Section 501(c)(3)), primarily by allowing any group that declares itself a religion and files the necessary paperwork to avoid taxation--provided they do not engage in “political or legislative activity.” What this carefully worded legal jargon does not acknowledge, however, is that religion is, in itself, a political activity.

You see, God is a fairy tale for adults--an imaginary friend, if you will. Mankind, in general, is so frightened of death and the uncertainties of life that it only makes sense for a large majority of people to turn to an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-controlling entity in a desperate attempt to find the answers to unanswerable questions and to provide themselves with a bit of a cosmic security blanket. What these people fail to realize, however, is that, in the process of surrendering to an ideal, they’re being dishonest to themselves and everyone they associate with--in a sense, betraying themselves and their own sense of humanity. The religious are so uncertain of the ability of their fellow man to govern themselves, to seek social advancement, to work with their best interests in mind, that attributing everything--the negative and the positive, the known and the unknown--to an unseen force seems logical and, indeed, plausible. The non-believer--the “infidel,” if you will--trusts in his own abilities, his own strengths and flaws and embraces the natural state of mind: one of godlessness and, ultimately and unavoidably, emotional sincerity. Despite the fact that all of us are born an atheist and only altered when a religious belief is thrust upon us or embraced over time, non-believers are thought of as the outcasts of society while the religious are supported unconditionally. This is, of course, an issue that is not restricted to our country or our specific time in history, though widely held religious beliefs have seemingly changed quite dramatically throughout the ages.

CONTINUED...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
[CONTINUED]

Where there once was a multi-theistic belief system that offered up a God for each unexplainable event, feeling or condition, there is now a mono-theistic arrangement that proposes a single God that is simultaneously and inexplicably a hero and a villain, a lover and a fighter, a corrupter and a redeemer, a forgiver and a condemner, a man and a spiritual force, and the creator of humanity and its eventual destroyer. This specific modern day God, however, is simply one that is readily accepted by grown men and women. Children have an entirely different set of beliefs that are at once informed by and encouraged by parents and other supposedly trustworthy elders. At some point in our childhood, we were all subjected to the stories of other modern day Gods: Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and even the mythological versions of historical figures such as Christopher Columbus, Paul Revere and the Founding Fathers. When we reached a certain age and maturity, we were expected to forget all that we had been brainwashed to believe about these invisible altruists and incomparable American heroes, while at the same time keeping an open mind about the existence of the superlative mono-theistic deity. And parents wonder why their children don’t trust them.

There is a rather obvious question that should be posed to every person who claims to support a belief in the model of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent deity presented in all of today’s most fashionable holy books: “why does a God need to exist?” It’s a question that most can’t even begin to answer, and naturally, most will avoid it altogether. The most popular answer will almost certainly be “it’s a matter of faith,” and it always is just that. Faith, after all, runs parallel to logic, and is therefore free of all the constraints of common sense. It all harkens back to the idea that a belief in God suggests and informs a disbelief or mistrust in science, the self-sustaining nature of the universe, and the ability of the human race to function outside the grasp of the ill-conceived notion of deific intrusion. The suggestion that since the universe was created, something had to create the universe is an example of the type of opposition to logic that is leading this world into a state of persistent military conflict and social turmoil and exactly what will eventually prevent humanity from reaching its potential. In the end, if we can find a way to press on, past these silly fairy tales that have hitherto defined our existence and, yes, hindered our advancement as a species, perhaps we can venture out into space, explore the infinite universe, come into contact with other intelligent and self-sufficient life forms and eventually discover the true meaning of life--and maybe even what it truly means to be human.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join