It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
project steve

for the sake of our sanity, someone has found out that there are more steves in the scientific community than creationists...

for reals

www.ncseweb.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well, House MD had a whole lotta suspense about the afterlife thing last night. Leave it to the writers to make us wait until the very end of the show to reveal what House saw during his one minute of death.

He'd told a dying man during the show that there was nothing there. Wilson railed at him that he'd never been there, so he couldn't possibly know. So House went.

After the guy died, House went to the morgue and told him, "I hate to say I told you so."

I thought they might play with him struggling a bit to find peace with an actual NDE, but House saw nothing.

I suppose I'd have been disappointed if he found religion. I just wasn't expecting them to wrap it all up in one show, with one sentence at the end.

But at least he's still my favorite (and only) TV character atheist.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I've seen that one before. I love the Steve thing.

Any Steves on the board that are also scientists should join the organization.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Lions 1, Christians 0...

...as a certain Anglican clergyman observed after watching his bishop being torn to pieces on television by Richard Dawkins.

Now it seems, something of the same sort is happening on ATS.

What's going on here?

We aren't winning this debate by any chance, are we?

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
While I understand that such things as faith can be personal by there nature but I am still surprised that more Christians aren't willing to discuss there beliefs. All the Christians I know don't keep there faith but they don't try and convert me either. I was always stand by my beliefs and be prepared to air them in what ever medium becomes available.

Based on logic and evidence or the lack of it Atheists would win the debate every time but people of faith ignore all of this which can sometimes be disturbing.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Do Unto Others

Originally posted by xpert11
While I understand that such things as faith can be personal by there nature but I am still surprised that more Christians aren't willing to discuss there beliefs.

I'm not, because

Based on logic and evidence or the lack of it Atheists would win the debate every time

So are you really surprised that

people of faith ignore all of this

What else can they do? They must either ignore us and hold their faith in silence, or respond and go down in defeat. Argument depends on logic, religion on faith; the two are incompatible, so the religious lose in argument.

But where they win -- and oh my, they win big -- is in actions, not words. The good old auto da fé. Faith is conviction: it's a great energy source, better than Energizer.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Astyanax while I don't disagree with what your saying the ATS Mix shows on this subject aren't a debate instead they are people sharing there views in a relaxed manner . Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah Faith certainly does energize people I regard those who think humans are causing climate change as follows of a faith but that is another topic.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I found it very surprising that nobody has managed to take Dave and Johnny up on a Christian show yet. The Christians on the board outnumber the atheists by a large margin, so I don't get why nobody is doing the interview. It was fun when we did ours, and I can't see the Dynamite Duo being anything less than fun and courteous with anyone else.

It is quite a puzzle. Maybe they all just think their voices don't sound good on tape?

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I found it very surprising that nobody has managed to take Dave and Johnny up on a Christian show yet.

i'll do it, and kick some religious ass

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
apparently air america has a new show for atheists
fox news has already launched a smear campaign against it...
hmm

mediamatters.org...

they say that there's only a 3-7% atheist population in america

current numbers actually put the population at 7-15%

[edit on 10/16/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
War on god. :shk: I'm sure that if he really existed he would be more than capable of taking care of himself.

Reminds me of the extremely angry op ed piece on Yahoo news the other day.

I for one am heartily sick of the fact that Christian faith is so weak that it can't allow anyone to have an alternate point of view. To the point where Fox News has to scream about it.

If god's that sorry that he can't handle people not believing in him, then why believe in him in the first place? Honestly, the way some of these folks carry on, god's a bigger diva than some of the drag queens I know in San Francisco.

No wonder Jesus's mom was named "Mary."

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well if Fox News is spewing such crap use your remote to change the channel or turn the TV off and find a news source that is a little less biases. Media biases vary from outlet to outlet you just have to deal with each news source on a case by case basis .

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Oh, i wouldn't watch Fox news if I was stapled to a chair with my eyelids cut off.

The problem is that lots of people DO. And take it seriously, as if it wasn't tabloid infotainment.

That's what scares me. News shouldn't have a slant. I guess I'm just old-school about my journalism.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
The problem is that lots of people DO. And take it seriously, as if it wasn't tabloid infotainment.

Well if other people want to take part in the dumbing down of society that is there choice and problem. At least in one aspect of there thinking Atheists are capable of interdependent thought process.

That's what scares me. News shouldn't have a slant. I guess I'm just old-school about my journalism.

Different media outlets have always been effected by biases whether it be caused by war time censorship or the people in charge. But I better leave that discussion for another thread.

[edit on 16-10-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I really do not understand why the atheistic person is demonized by many people.

They are people with opinion, just like everyone else. Many of them are more informed than religious folk, about science, history etc. Atheists, generally, are smart men and woman who question. They are demonized based on what they question, this is not right. In my eyes the more questions one asks, the more they know. I believe that after asking certain questions, after riding certain trains of thought, to certain "stations"... one inevitabley arrives at a higher being.

Not in all cases. Definitely in mine.

Atheist, may ye live on! May ye keep learning! May ye find that which is God.

You gotta fight... for your right... to uhh be an atheist!

[edit on 16-10-2007 by depth om]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Depth om! I am touched and surprised by what you just wrote.

That's why I love this place, the surprises keep coming!

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
Atheist, may ye live on! May ye keep learning! May ye find that which is God.

I kind of feel the reverse about my Christian friends. I would like them to to logical reasoning and become Athiests but I know that isnt going to happen because its just not them. The status qua is fine because as I said they don't try to convert me .

You gotta fight... for your right... to uhh be an atheist!

You have the right to your beliefs as well . The problem is that some people cant see the difference between someone who opposes discrimination , a Taliban style government and someone who oppose peoples right to worship.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
And then there are those that can't take a simple debate or legitimate questioning and take it as if it was a personal attack.

This is great! Two of the theists I've butted heads with quite often have both showed themselves to be cream puffs this week.

I mean that in a nice way, though.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
That's a cream puff with maple filling to you missy.

Why should Christians demonize athiest? We love'em. Besides there's no way I could ever turn an athiest into a theist. That's God's job not mine.

1 Cor 3
What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.

Pardon the scripture quoting. Just making my point. Besides, your salvation is a personal thing to you and does nothing to effect mine. It's called free will for a reason and it wouldn't be that if you were forced to convert/belive.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by dbates]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yes, dbates, but you're the exception to the proselytizing rule.

Which is why you're my favorite foe.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join