It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
And mine is, because there is absolutely no evidence for his existence, and it seems his existence is actually more improbable than probable, the more we know.

IF god was real, and IF he was all powerful, etc., I should think he would be able to take care of himself and not need people to defend him from wicked science.

Edn

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Anyone else notice new posts arnt showing up properly in this topic?

edit: ^ there we go.

I have always had a particular stance on god(s). It doesn't matter if they exist or not, though there is little proof of there existence and by that i tend to believe the existence of god(s) is highly unlikely, if for whatever reason god(s) do exist then nothing will have changed, apart from accepting ok god(s) exist, I will not pray to them, I will not follow there 'laws'. God(s) for me would be completely equal to everyone and everything else and if god(s) cant accept that then I want nothing to do with them.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Edn]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I did notice that, Edn, on the last page. Apparently the first new post on a page isn't working properly.

I'll report it to staff and see if they can figure out what the glitch is.

And, BTW, I like that attitude, if there were gods you wouldn't behave any differently.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I respect your thread immenslely! I honestly do!

What do you think of this crazy/inane video?

What are your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
What do I think of that video, Ducks? I think ... I forgot how much I loved Thomas Dolby in the 80's! Thanks for posting it. I hadn't seen that vid in over 20 years.

It makes me think that if I had to pick a god to worship, it'd have to be the internet.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

MM? You know that I respect your thoughts - To the Utmost!! I told you that I did

Don't ever be afraid for any reason to post in HERE.

I know you have your thoughts.

Your thoughts are my thoughts sometimes....

I don't pretend to know what YOU know.

I'm extending an olive branch....

LOVE,

~Ducky~

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Aw, Ducks, you don't need to give me an olive branch. I appreciate the invitation to that thread, but I'm probably going to decline. It might make some of your other posters uncomfortable.

After all, I'm the big, bad militant atheist. :shk:

You & me, we cool. I respect your belief because it respects others.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

"Wicked science"...

MM, I don't hold this belief, and many other christians transcend this foolish idea.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Whether it makes others uncomfortablel.

Thankyou my Sister!

If you so desire to come into the threads and speak:

I will listen. You dear heart.

I will keep up with the faith threads.

I am your spirutal sister. Know that I love and respect YOU.

I will always be your friend.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I am very greatful for this thread.

I want YOU ALL to know that MM is a beautiful Soul

She foremost presented this thread to all logical minds.

If I had any more points to elect her: Way above I would.

Honestly and sincerly!

My Sister is above words.
She really has knowlegege!

MM takes the time to decifer what is 'valid' in the world..

Out of her busy day...she takes time for each and every once of us.;

I know that for a fact.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Now, stop, you're making me blush.

But, thanks, Ducks, I've had an EXTREMELY rotten day, and you brought a smile to my face that I wasn't sure would put in an appearance this evening.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
MM...

Thankyou for allowing me to post in your thread.

~Love Ducky~

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Wait...one more thing..

As luck would have it.

I was enjoying a bag of popcorn...ohhhhhhhhhh jeese..I bit into an 'un-popped' kernel. It cracked my tooth. F'n F'n F'n.......

OHH Godddddddddddd I wanted to killl...somebody....anybody....the pain......kimmer YOU...anybody....SOMEBODY....I was in tears!

That's what I felt like. What a BIOTCH I was. A kind soul gave me this pill: percoset.(I think that's how it's spelled) OHHHHHHH boy.. thank God that person gave me that!

I was higher than a kite! and that freakin pill took more than the edge off of my pain!!! (not adcocating drug use what-so-ever)

It literally took the pain away.

I went to the dentist today and they put needles in my gums... and ripped the 'fillings' out. Then the dentist put medicine in my tooth/gums to 'settle down an infection'. Then the dentist 'packed my tooth'. The dentist saw the 'crack' in my tooth, and after he 'numbed' my gums, he picked and prodded my anethsetised f'n gums and pulled out a part of my tooth.

Needless to say, I was a hurtin unit.

The Dentist 'pulled' a 1/4 of my tooth out.

I was trying to be brave. I think I was brave. I looked the dentist in the eye (never waivering) when he pricked my gums to numb.

Jeese.. I still felt the prick of the needle. (I wanted to punch somebody out...but never did)

Now as I type, I have a 'temporary filling'. I'm having a few brew. It helps somewhat.

On Oct.3. I have to go back to the dentist.

The tooth will have 'calmed down' somewhat or I will have to have it pulled.

Thanks for listening to me.

Love

~Ducky~

I don't like yelping YOUCH or anything therein.

I have to visit my dentist this Oct. 3. to fix my tooth.

Remember me posting a thread called
paraphrasing) Toothaches...giving birth inside my head"?

No sooner than I had posted that thread...jeese...

Today I visited my dentist. (Swear to God)

For about a week, I 'toughed' it out with a major freakin pain in my tooth.

Yesterday, the 'pain' hit my f'n nerve...sooooooooooo bad....I was telling my own family members off.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The Godmakers*

Originally posted by depth om
Can you not use the universe as a type of evidence for an all encompassing "intelligence"?

You could, but why do it? It explains nothing and is not practically useful. It does seem to have a kind of placebo effect on people who cannot stomach mundane reality, but this seems an insufficient justification for introducing an unnecessary complicating factor into our universal model.

I don't believe in the supernatural. All that exists, be it in alternate dimensions or otherwise, it still exists.

Yes, well, if we define 'the supernatural' as 'that which does not exist', everyone's a rationalist, no?

It all forms one.

One what? One universe, certainly. But the universe, which contains everything, must contain all opposites and antinomies; matter and antimatter, for example, are mutually destructive to one another.

Here you leap far ahead of science, which still has difficulty reconciling General Relativity and quantum mechanics. We haven't even been able to detect all the particles predicted in the Standard Model. So where did you find data to prove that 'it all forms one'?

Predicament is altered through observation. To myself, this can explain in part, the science of free will.

Observation alters 'predicament' -- if at all -- in ways that cannot be predicted by the observer. What in the name of the Sainted Heisenberg has that to do with 'free will'?

If you want to discuss this further, come over here. Read the thread first, obviously.

A self-replicating,

Yes, I know. I hate post-choppers, too. But could you please explain in what sense the universe is self-replicating? Some physical models suggest this, but none has obtained general scientific acceptance, not even Everett's Many Worlds hypothesis.

self-observing

Yes. I love the idea that when the first sentient being opened its eyes, the universe got its first look at itself. To me, that's an idea with a pretty high 'spiritual' content.

What form could've produced such an amazing entity... when I ponder, I arrive at love. A building force, replicative force, a prolonging force, an adding force, it is better build something good, it is better to tear down a bad thing.

What is love? Did love determine the fundamental constants? Does it account for the strong force? Does it determine how a probability wave collapses?

Depth Om, listen to me. I'm happy to risk putting my foot in the bear-trap of formal logic by agreeing with you that the universe is undoubtedly an entity (in the sense that it is the unity you say it is, though as I have pointed out, it is also the ultimate multiplicity). It is clearly self-observing and even self-aware, if only in the degenerate sense that self-observing, self-aware entities form part of it. And I certainly stand in awe and admiration of it -- of nature, of reality, of life. The universe is perfectly capable of provoking transcendental or, if you prefer, 'spiritual' feelings when contemplated in the right way.

But the universe, as far as we can tell, is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. It is not even sentient (though tiny little bits of it are). So it definitely is not God. If the problem of invariable c can somehow be surmounted, it may one day become God, but it's not there yet.

Still, the possibility allows us to imagine that you, I and all other sentient beings ae engaged in the project of making God. I think this is an excellent hypothesis on which to found a moral philosophy, since the God the universe one day becomes will be the kind of God we make, which depends in turn on the kind of beings -- clear-sighted or self-deluded, moral or immoral -- we make ourselves into.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The title of a science-fiction novel by Frank Herbert that has had more influence on me than almost anything else I've read. I heartily recommend it, especially to the young.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
i really don't like it when i see this

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

Why do we have this forum? I thought its called faith. And we get people like madness saying prayer is false.

He doesnt know, hes guessing baised on a theory, nonetheless the ignorance is allowed here with personal attacks.

there are so many things that irritate me within that post.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Yeah, i know, MIMS. I think part of it is that logic from people like us threatens them because if they think about it, it threatens their faith.

And then, there's the projection factor -- most of the ones that scream we attack them do quite a bit of attacking themselves.

But then, that's the double standard that really pisses me off. It's OK to be judgmental, argumentative and attack someone so long as that person is part of the religious "in" group. But those outside had better just STFU.

I also "like" when we're called "militant" for having our own points of view, sticking to them, and standing up for what we think is correct logically.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

yea... well, at least there are people that will defend me and point out that i don't use ad hom at all.

Originally posted by queenannie38
madness does NOT make personal attacks...and on this thread I have noted TWO personal attacks (mild yet still pointed) on madness!

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Don't let it irritate you MIMS.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'm posting on this thread...being respectable and not derailing what so ever.

Let us look at the logic of "Love"

I present this vid for your perusals!

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
MM? I see you're still on?

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join