It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I stumbled on this video at Atheist Nation the other day, and thought to share it for a little comic relief:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Must ... Rant ... SPOCK!!!

One thing I've seen repeatedly on the boards here that is irritating the hell out of me is when, in a thread about HIV, some zealot comes in and bellows, AIDS is a judgment of god!

As a person who's been living with HIV for 16 years I find this very offensive. I've sort of made it my mission to deny this particular brand of ignorance whenever I see it. But it still keeps appearing, like clockwork, in just about every HIV-related thread.

Can people REALLY believe this nonsense? Do they honestly think that their god works in such a way? I can't seem to bridge this gap between what we know of medicine and microbiology and this medieval superstition that some people seem to relish with great satisfaction.

I think it's the thing I hate most about the religious mind set. Since when do microbes have a morality?

What is it about religious thought on this board that irks you the most, out of my undying curiosity?

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
To all atheist,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Super long, boring video but has very interesting information if you have the patience to watch it all.

2 parts, 5 hours+.

Love to hear your comments on it if you saw it through.

It is like the Zeitgiest movie.

[edit on 9-9-2007 by ixiy]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I hope I can find the time to watch it -- it's hard going with two little kids sometimes. Thanks for the link.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I stumbled on this video at Atheist Nation the other day, and thought to share it for a little comic relief:

Ahahha I loved it.

"Thy one-liners are as good as thy tricks."

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
this is from another thread, and i honestly agree with this view:

Originally posted by DarkSide
There is no reliable historical evidence to support his existence, so it's possible he never existed and is a mythological character. He may have existed, but I doubt it.

what do the rest of you think?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I think he's probably a real guy that was a bit touched in the head, believed he was a messiah and the events of history lined up to make more of him than all the other similar so-called prophets of the time.

I don't know if half the stuff attributed to him in the bible was really his -- probably the stories are conglomerations of things various of these prophets did. The miracles were either mass hysteria, or more likely, made up after the fact to help "prove" his divinity.

I think it's entirely possible there was a guy that the bible was loosely based on, but the bible doesn't tell a real story of a real life, more like it tells fables and wishful thinking.

Life of Brian pretty much shows how this can work with a real guy. I think it is probably more truthful in many ways than the actual bible is.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

There are references to him in Tacitus and Josephus. The Tacitus one just says that Nero blamed the Great Fire of Rome on his followers, the Christians, and that he had been executed as a criminal. Josephus contains a couple of references, one reliable (and saying not a lot more than Tacitus) and another that has been obviously and tendentiously altered by later Christian copyists.

Of course, that doesn't mean he really existed. But I don't find it very hard to believe that he did. It's not as if prophecy, as an occupation, was unknown among the tribes of Israel, is it?

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

well, the fishy thing about the references is that they're so late...
it's just a bit odd that there isn't any mention of him for a few decades.

i'm not saying he didn't exist, i'm just saying i'm not convinced that he did.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I've not read every post on this thread. I THOUGHT I could, but got overwhelmed, so apologies if I'm repeating. Have any of you encountered discrimination BECAUSE of your atheistic beliefs?

For example, when I was in the Navy we were 'required' to attend services. The Protestants had one service; the Catholics their own. I don't remember about the Jews. the services were mostly singing and very low-key, but I asked to be let out of them on principle. So I was assigned an extra four-hour watch. When i wound up in the hospital with pneumonia, a 106 degree temperature, etc. (march in hot sun, goto Air conditioned barracks, repeat) they asked me whether I was Catholic or Protestant. I said "no preference," which earned me a rigorous attack from a couple of very angry petty officers. I won't go on about how ironic it was that thi setting produced this behavior. But I'm curious if others who profess atheism have undergone similar hazing, discrimination, and poor treatment.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Not generally, not yet. I've only recently come all the way out about it.

I did a very brief stint in the military when I was 19. I resented having to go to Sunday services. But it was better than staying in the barracks and cleaning the floor with a toothbrush.

And that was before I realized I didn't believe in this "god" stuff. I'd probably be livid now.

I think it's unfortunate that our military, which is supposed to be defending the Constitution, would abrogate your rights to freedom from religion, schuyler. That's pretty sucky, IMO.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

well, i went to a catholic school as i made my revelation of atheism... and one teacher ended up getting me kicked out... a theology teacher. yet all the other teachers were totally cool and wouldn't have done so... though, that's because it was a jesuit school.

he basically failed me in his class two semesters in a row, which was enough to get me kicked out) regardless of how much work or effort i put in. i worked within the religion on assignments and tests, but he always graded me low on areas where there was any subjectivity.

the problem was that i would challenge him in open discussions..

we were discussing the OT...specifically exodus.
i asked him if he was aware that there was 0 historical documentation or physical evidence to show that the jews were ever enslaved in egypt
he said "then who built the pyramids?"
i told him that they were build over a millennium before the jews got to egypt
then he retorted with a non-sequiter "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle"
everyone laughed... i was tempted to ask if he had mental problems.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by Astyanax

well, the fishy thing about the references is that they're so late...
it's just a bit odd that there isn't any mention of him for a few decades.

i'm not saying he didn't exist, i'm just saying i'm not convinced that he did.

There are more sturdy arguments behind Jesus as a historical figure than Jesus as a myth. The best references outside of the Bible are Josephus and Tacitus, as aforementioned. Even the corrupted reference in Josephus has been verified by scholars to still hold some of his words. At any rate, there is still a reference - even if it sounds a little enthusiastic considering Josephus didn't buy all that saviour stuff.

Scholars are also convinced that the 4 canonical Gospels are based on earlier writings within decades of the historical Jesus' lifetime. If we scrutinise the New Testament in the same way as any ancient writing that incorporates earlier historical source material, rejecting a historical Jesus would be like rejecting ancient pagan leader characters - the existence of whom is not called into doubt. A lot of great characters in history are written about after their lifetime, this isn't necessarily reason to doubt their existence.

'Christ as myth' is pretty much a non-issue among historians and scholars these days and, in terms of rejecting historicity, nobody will seriously go further than fence-sitting. Since few of us in this world actually have first hand access to the texts and take even historical findings on a degree of faith (OMFG), then fence-sitting is perfectly reasonable. Even as an Atheist, I've no need to severely doubt the veracity of a historical Jesus.

[EDIT]: Life Of Brian foxtrot-tango-whiskey.

[edit on 14-9-2007 by Dumbfirefly]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I think it's the thing I hate most about the religious mind set. Since when do microbes have a morality?

What is it about religious thought on this board that irks you the most, out of my undying curiosity?

An invitation to vent my spleen?? Why thank you, MajorMalfunction, don't mind if I do! =)

Firstly, AMEN about applying morality where it is irrelevant. Assigning everyone to Gods' wrath is tiresome. As is the misconception that morality and virtue are inextricably linked with - even exclusive to - religion.

While there is a lot I enjoy and owe (directly or indirectly) to Christianity in general - such as literature, architecture, music and artwork - my main problem with religious thought is when it tramples on the feet of the real world.

My views have an edge of Instrumentalism to them, in that if it helps people live productively and doesn't impede on anyone else, then leave it to get people through their day. I personally am a staunch believer in honest learning over blissful ignorance, but I also live and let live. People can do what they like as long as they keep to themselves.

The thing that *really* gets me is what Polkinghome defines in his classifications as 'Conflict' - where theism treads on the toes of science by making empirical claims such as Creation over Evolution, or the occurance of miracles. It's the point Dawkins makes in his book 'The God Delusion' (of inescapable interest to modern Atheists). Theism should know its place, which is as far away from the empirical scientific realm as possible.

It's the promotion of these types of notions that annoys me. If someone wants to live in their blissfully ignorant world where they were specially made, then fine. But actively promoting such ideas to inhibit areas of learning - such as the Creationism in school science curriculums issue - is deplorable.

Though Christianity is getting more liberal in some arenas (though by no means are the fundies backing down), the general idea religions tend to entertain are sexism, racism, homophobia and general bigotry. Any religious fundamentalism - or fanatic extremism - is never good news.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more, DFF. I think religion should be private and not forced on the public. Intelligent Design really grates on my nerves -- hence my adherence to the teachings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Welcome to the thread, and to ATS.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thanks MM, it's good to be here - particularly among like minds in this thread.

I only found out about all the The Flying Spaghetti Monster shiz this year, talk about limping behind! It's the faith where it's AT.

Word, the imposition is where I think most atheists have a problem with theism. If Creation is to be taught in schools it should be for what it is - a religious story. Not a theory that belongs in science class.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dumbfirefly

welcome aboard, DFF. the rum is to the stern and the eyepatches can be found in just about any part of the ship.

hmm...i think we should all dress as pirates this coming halloween and post hilarious pictures of our swashbuckling antics.

maybe that's just the scotch talking

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Halloween, nothing! Next Wednesday, September 19 is Talk Like A Pirate Day.

And I'm going to do my best to type like a pirate. At least in one or two threads, anyway.

I'm not sure how touch typing with a hook is going to work, but I'm game.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

You'll do just fine MM!

I can see you with an 'angle and a hook' with everything you do.

Oh...btw? you know that NOW, that you announced you're in the 'pirate mode', I'm expecting a pic or two in the 'members thread'? lolol

As I recently said in one of my threads, "I respect your 'coothful' thoughts.

For the love of (whatever), don't start sifting through the kiddies goody bags, and have a feeling of 'pissedoffness' when life or the kidlets brought you home the wrong candy.

Enjoy MM!! lololol

~Ducky~

[edit on 14-9-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

oh yes, it IS talk like a pirate day...
too bad it isn't also "dress and drink like a pirate" day as well...

well, i guess i can still share a round of rum with my friends.
gotta work on me pirate typing... yarrr

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join