It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Chat

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Atheism FAQ

Everybody believes in something! Atheism is a religion too!
But atheists can’t prove God doesn’t exist, can they? Burden of proof?
Atheists believe in evolution, then?

And so on.

[edit on 24-7-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
That is a good starting spot, BH. I was thinking of going into stuff in great detail, one post per FAQ point.

I'm too tired and drained from ongoing legal drama to start it today, but xpert11 if you want to write a FAQ on the giraffe, etc., be my guest.

I can start the thread, or somebody can who's less tired and more enthusiastic this evening. I have about two weeks of legal insanity to deal with then I hope to have more time to relax and get into this project.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
I agree that FAQs is needed. Can we use the FAQs to put the flawed Giraffe argument against evolution to bed?

What is an good starting place for the FAQs?

Try this.

Talk Origins Archive

All you'll ever need to defeat religious pseudoscience, at least as far as evolution is concerned.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Just popping in to say...

Check out this thread! Dance, Monkeys, Dance

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The monkeys think they're special in their monkey hives! The monkeys think they have to be happy!

BH that was fantastic! Thanks for the link.

it's pretty much the conclusion I've come to in my life. Too bad it takes us so freaking long to learn this stuff. By the time we figure out we're just monkeys we're too tired to do anything about it.

And I saw FSM in that clip, so it must be holy! RAmen.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
MajorMalfunction would you be intrested in some kind of collaboration when it comes to creating an Atheist FAQ on BTS ?
I am happy to wait until your legal troubles are over.
This thread might be of interest to those who are following this thread.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think a collaboration would be a great idea. We can work the stuff out via U2Us and then post the finished product of each FAQ point. Or something.

Let me get my head around it after my next two court dates. :w:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Howdy MM,

I have been away for a while, just did the atheist test and got 58% spiritual atheist, 50% on all the others except for apathetic athieist 42% and theist 33%.

Now that I know that I am a spiritual atheist, I can tell the theists that I can be here in the Faith, Spirituality & Theology section, whahahahaaa. (joke)

Anyway, I think it is cool that you have started this thread.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
The monkeys think they're special in their monkey hives! The monkeys think they have to be happy!

Us monkey's are happy. Especially the deranged headbangin' ones.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Conversation of the day:

What do you do when you're really down and hurting, a time when religious people pray? How do you cope with adversity and pain without calling on a higher power?

And is the need for people to pray at times like this actually a misfiring of neurons that are still in our brains from when we were kids wanting our mommy when we fell down?

Thoughts?

For me, I go to counseling, I go to a support group, I journal and I vent online. And I watch a lot of TV or read, while eating massive quantities of chocolate. I don't find any comfort in talking inside my head or even out loud to someone who isn't there. I need real feedback. Or just to know that I've actually been heard by someone real.

Shared pain is lessened? Is what motivates prayer?

I've seen the argument by some that "there are no atheists in foxholes" meaning that when the chips are down, people pray. I haven't prayed once throughout the custody battle hell I've been in for 14 months now. I don't see how praying would accomplish anything. It's taken me all this time in group and counseling to come as far as I have.

What's with the assumption that religious people make that we will end up resorting to prayer at bad times, or when dying? Is it just egocentricism at work again?

Curiously thinking or thinking curiously today ...

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
OK here is my ten cents.
Eighty percent of success is self belief and the other twenty percent is hard work when I bear that in mind along with the fact that I am the sole determined of my success I always achieve my objective.
This approach has yet fail me.

How people deal with rough times and advertise(SP?) depends on there character . Personally I dig deep and find the resolve that will and does tell me that tomorrow can only get better and that I will be successful at what ever I set out to do.

As for people praying well in my mind that would seem to indicate an lack of self belief and the belief that you are responseible for your own success. One of my aunts says she prays for me before I go to an job interview I'm not bothered by this even thou I no that praying is pointless.

MajorMalfunction drop an U2U when your legal troubles are over.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Well ... they probably won't be over for a while. But I hope for them to settle down for a month or two after the next couple of hearings.

Remind me I want to do a FAQ on the annoying and ignorant word "evolutionist."

:shk:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
MajorMalfunction just drop me an U2U when things have settled down on the legal front.

Onto my questions. The Jews have Israel , Islam has rest of the Middle East and Christianity arguable has various outposts but Athiests don't have an land of there own .

Would you support the creation of an Atheist state ?
If you support the creation of an Atheist state where would it be located ?
Perhaps in the future the moon would be an good place for an Atheist state because no one lives there already.

Myself I am quiet happy living where I am and I don't have any desire to create an Atheist state here on earth or on the moon. Although I would like to own the moon but that is another topic.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Would you support the creation of an Atheist state ?
If you support the creation of an Atheist state where would it be located ?

Sweden, I heard 85% of the population is already atheist

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I don't see the need for an atheist state. I think we just need to be accepted wherever we live. If we have our own state it'll just give the fundies more ammunition, saying that we must be a religion because we have our own "holy land." :shk:

It could be an interesting experiment, though.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
IMO??

Fear.

It's fear that drives us to do the things we do. Fear makes us try new things because it is "exciting", fear makes us look for guidance in something other than ourselves in times of danger, and even death.

I believe it is our need for social interaction, part of which makes us human, that is directly responsible for even the most hard core non-believer look towards the sky when no one else is available to help. The need for comfort is exactly that of a child (as suggested) who scrapes his/her leg when falling. That child will not cry unless he/she knows that mom or dad will be there to look them over and tell them everything will be ok.

The need for reassurance even close to death is so strong, that even the body can't compete with the will and fear of the human mind. Upon death, or close to it, the body starts to shut down un-necessary functions and organs and excretes hormones and pain killers to make the person as comforable as possible. This is not divine, it is scientific. Yet, fear of death and what lies in the afterlife is what makes us look to the sky.

King.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Great questions, as usual, MM!

How do you cope with adversity and pain without calling on a higher power?

Over the years, I've seen a lot of therapists because of sexual abuse in my past. I did learn a lot and even had a few "aha!" moments. But the one most important thing I realized was that I am my best therapist! I know myself better than anyone and I have a lot of experience to draw on. So, while therapy had its usefulness, I now count on myself and draw on my inner strength to get through tough times.

And of course, having a best friend for a husband helps, too. I've talked things over with him many times. I play his therapist, too...

A few years ago, I discovered I had breast cancer. I wasn't at death's door, but it was in my view for the first time in my life. I could see the door knob. And I handled it amazingly well! There was no feeling sorry for me, no "woe is me", no, "Oh, God, WHY"? none of the victim-y stuff I see in so many other people.

I accepted what was in front of me, made a decision based on the facts and then moved forward with my decision. I'm amazed at the inner-strength that develops in a person when they don't have someone "out there" to lay their problems on! People who walk without crutches build very strong muscles!

And that's just what religions DON'T want - people with a lot of inner strength! They want weak people who can't handle life on their own. Who need to turn to something "stronger" to make it through (And I'm not saying all religious people are weak, I'm saying religious leaders would LIKE people to be weak.)

And is the need for people to pray at times like this actually a misfiring of neurons that are still in our brains from when we were kids wanting our mommy when we fell down?

That's exactly what it is. Who enjoys hurting? Who doesn't want someone to take part of the pain? It's a natural desire to want to be comforted. It's just that when we grow up, it's important to learn self-comfort. Not necessarily with food or whatever,
but with words and thoughts. I do it all the time.

What's with the assumption that religious people make that we will end up resorting to prayer at bad times, or when dying? Is it just egocentricism at work again?

I don't know. I hope a religious person answers this one. I tend to think it's a case of "here's how I am, so you must be the same". Or perhaps they feel comfort in prayer and want the same for us.

Well, I have the same and better! I am comforted in the knowledge that NO MATTER WHAT, I have myself. I have a strong inner core that I have built up and if I lost EVERYTHING I love tomorrow, I KNOW I'd be fine. I'd make it through. After what I've been through and what I've brought myself through, I could handle anything.

Edited to add: And I'm not in the least afraid of death! It amazes me how many religious people have the mindset that they should avoid death at all cost and think that in the foxhole, the fear of death would overwhelm someone enough to make up a person to cry out to... If they know they're going to heaven, what's so scary about death??? Seems to me they would look forward to it, not consider it the scariest possible situation and use it to shame atheists...

[edit on 27-7-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Conversation of the day:

What do you do when you're really down and hurting, a time when religious people pray? How do you cope with adversity and pain without calling on a higher power?

well, this is a daily problem for me...physical pain from my chronic back problem...mental pain from dealing with the same type of child/religious stuff you are so i can relate..

all i can say is i suck it up and deal...i take my medicine for the pain and it barely works.
i write A LOT.....i post on several message boards but i am a heavy blogger so i get my angst out that way...

i also compose A LOT.....i play guitar and i write this or that....usually keeps my mind off it.

then, when the evening rolls around, i smoke grass. it mellows me out and relaxes the muscles in my back...play a little guitar and try and write a few more measures/bars of whatever i am working on.

i also have been editing video lately....
basically i just try to push through till the next day, then push through that one...life is hard and it tosses lots of curve balls.

i'd rather not devote any time at all to praying to something that don't exist, for results that are never going to happen.

big, fat arse waste of time IMO....

so, thats how i make it through.

sit there and burn one and then improvise within whatever scale i feel like at the time. maybe record it.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
BH, you are truly an inspiration! I'm grateful to have met you, and the others joining us in this very interesting thread.

Boondock -- I have a doctor's recommendation for medical cannabis. It does help, doesn't it?

I'm not so much afraid of dying, or being dead, as I am leaving my children behind at the mercies of their abusive father.

I think I hang on from sheer willpower. I don't have a lot of self-esteem left after 10 years of marriage to a narcissistic emotional batterer, but I'm working on it and I hope someday to trust my strength -- the strength that everyone else sees in me but I don't.

Wow! Atheists are deep! Who knew? (Well, we do, but I don't think some religious people do ...)

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

It could be an interesting experiment, though.

if the atheists all move to one country, what will the western world do without 70-90% of its scientists? the USA would be thoroughly knocked back into the bronze age, especially since they're trying to teach the bronze age myths in schools... i think for the good of the world we need to stay put and get accepted for who we are...

and you're right, the fundies would keep calling us a religion

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join