It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kaos - Cellphone Sniffing Dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Photo: Nils Bjåland/VG

Kaos The Cellphone Sniffing Dog

Kaos is the name of the Norwegian police dog in the picture. He's been trained to find hidden cellphones. He can find any cellphone hidden in a prison cell. It doesn't matter if the phone is on or off. He can find them even when the battery has been removed, and also when they've been hidden inside other electronic devices.

Illegal cellphones being smuggled into prisons has been a problem for some time. Kaos is the first dog able to perform this task of finding them. Other dogs will be trained as well.

Source:
VG: Hunden Kaos finner fangenes ulovlige mobiler (in Norwegian - sorry...)

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Oh, and there's a video of Kaos in action here:

Video (in Norwegian...)

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
This dog is unique. It's probably the only dog in the world who can do this at the moment.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Drugs, Ok... Bombs, Ok but.... how does a dog smell a cellphone when it is hidden inside of say, a radio. That dog has talent, cell's must produce some unique smell or something.

even without a battery... can I borrow this dog for like a day? lol. everyone knows your basically screwed when your handset battery dies and you cant page it.... Can it smell those too?

Ive never heard of such a thing, It's interesting.
-Bumross

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bumr055
Drugs, Ok... Bombs, Ok but.... how does a dog smell a cellphone when it is hidden inside of say, a radio. That dog has talent, cell's must produce some unique smell or something.

I suspect it's the odor of the plastic or of electronic components. Their sense of smell is quite amazing.

Not every dog can do it (and it's not easy to train a dog to search for a specific scent.) But dogs are much harder to fool than humans are.

Some of the unusual claims (that seem to be true) are that dogs can smell certain diseases (like cancer) and that they can smell changes in an individual's body chemistry when a siezure is coming on. One type of medically trained dog is a "siezure dog", that will paw at the owner to alert hem of an oncoming event. They also have a good sense of timing ... most dogs can be trained to act as pill reminders (they'll pester you to take your meds.)

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I've heard about dogs being able to smell cancer, and I believe it's true. I've never heard about dogs being able to detect oncoming siezures. That's very interesting.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Just to point out.. Kaos was never a police dog I know this because the owner was my dad. He was trained to find phones because of the norwegian prisons have a problem with the prisoners sneaking in phones, sadly he has now passed away. Kaos were able to find the phones even if they had no electrical components inside, we washed it completely and had it in a air tight container for quite a while.. Still he found them, he did more things than being the first dog in the world to find mobile phones, he was a part of the Norwegian Rescue Dogs, he was also a trained drug dog and more!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Captrandom

Sad to hear that he has passed away.

Thanks for the update!
He was a very special dog

new topics

top topics

join