It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the other side of the brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
you know how they say that humans only use one side of their brain and the other side is just there....if the other side enables you to do impossible things how do you think you can activate that part of the brain...this stuff has been bugging me for a while because i know its possible but i dont know how

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Human's do use their entire brain, it's just that different areas of the brain are used for different tasks/processes.

The myth that really annoys me is when people preach on about humans only using something like 7% of our brains. Supposedly if we could 'unlock' the full 100% we would attain the ability to launch cows into space at will - as well as other such amazing feats of marvelous wizardry.

In reality we actually only use a certain percentage at one given time, but overall, we do use our entire brain.

I usually would never post a wiki link as recommended reading but this article on the brain is pretty solid - The Brain - Wiki

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I have to agree w/ not_fazed on this one. Besides, if we only used one side of our brain then it would not matter if damage occurred on one side now would it? And we all know that if you suffer brain damage to either side of the brain that it has a negative impact on your overall function.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
yes I agree with both of you but if we only use a percentage a time then what it we use all the percentage of the brain at once would it be possible to do impossible things and how would this be able to happen ??? the brain is a mystery thats why im so intrested in it

There has to be a reason people meditate and stuff how do chinese people get so strong when they fight how can they absorb damage and wot-not ??? I think the brain can be trained to do impossible things

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
You do use both sides of the brain in day to day activities. Do we use all of our brain capacity? No by a long shot. I suspect that many of the "brilliant" people of our time simply were able to access a higher percentage of thier brain and had more assosiative connections than was average.

One interesting tidbit. An extreem form of seizure treatment involves actually taking out a portion of the brain. The opposite side can and does take over some of the functions of the removed portion. Its never perfect and some deficits remain, however, the younger the person is the better able theya re to adapt. I have the huge luck of seeing the procedure done on a child that was at the time. She is now 10 and unless you knew her history you would be hard pressed to tell she had had major neuro surgery.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Using 100% of your brain is called a seizure.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Using 100% of your brain is called a seizure.

Im not sure if you are making a joke. There is a bit of differnece between a seizure which is generaly an uncontolled electrical discharge within the brain. it can be localized to specific portions or areas.

On the other hand thinking, processing etc, involved coordianted efforts of some or all of the brain including memory and congitive centers.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was a sent a fun little program that shows you the areas of your brain you use most. It's called Brain Works and is a small exe file. I had a friend email it to me. I will be happy to send it to anyone requesting it, and I am NOT just trying to upload a virus.

This is the results for my usage:
files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I found something similar... although I don't know what to make of a test this small

Mindworks

my results:

Auditory : 40%
Visual : 60%
Left : 76%
Right : 23%

also... i this the quiz you talked about in your screenshot?

Brain Works

[edit on 26/7/07 by flice]

top topics

join