It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live Earth Concerts go Global

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
www.liveearth.org...

Definitely a worthwhile event even if you don't give a rat's patooty about the planet. Dozens of music artists hit the stages to play some of the best music spanning 40 or more years. For the people who do care this day marks the beginning of a global attempt to make a difference. NBC aired concerts from most of the bigger concerts with some brief clips of other concerts. The majority of the taped and live feeds were from England, USA, Australia, South Africa and Germany, Fantastic clips were also from Japan, China and Brazil. Great show of global unity that we have not seen since the late 1990s.

The main message was about making a difference even in the smallest of increments that on a global scale will slightly offset the release of carbon and other targeted emissions.

Some of the easy targets are light bulbs and driving habits. Changing out many of your incandescent bulbs for CFLs make saves money and means less changing of bulbs. Changing driving habits is another. If you can carpool that's great, this ones not always convenient for everyone. I personally would use public trans if it were available. Planning trips for shopping around other events instead of single trips is one that most of us can do. Most people I know already do grocery shopping after work saving that Saturday trip leaving more time to tool around the yard on weekends or get the bicycle out for those cooler days.

We can all do a little on our part, even if it's just to save money.

Here is the list of changes I've made.
most of the lights I have on at night are CFLs or standard florescent.
I've switched my gardening to Earth Boxes that are self contained reducing the water used by 80%. I now water with about 2 gallons of water for what used to take 16-20 in a standard garden.
Recycle all cans, bottles, plastics and compost kitchen and lawn scraps.
Where possible reduce water usage and turn off appliances not in use.
Unplug all wall power charger after the cycle is done.

Next on my list:
Improve insulation and weather tightness of residence.
Solar heating to supplement heat-pumps and gas furnaces.
Solar power to light green house and landscape.

Future additions to reduce my carbon footprint.
Geothermal heat exchanger to reduce heat-pump operating costs.
Upgrade heat-pumps to higher SEER.
Install solar collector for lighting and other low wattage systems.
Replace one or both vehicles with Hybrid or other greener transportation.

Gripes: Why do cell phones, Ipods and other gadgetry all use strange non-standard power sources. The worst Ipod, the connectors on that thing are insane and inconvenient. It is also not friendly to a solar based charging station.

```````````````````
fixed BB Code for bolding

[edit on 8/7/07 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
mmm, I watched it from australia, there was too much talking for me, and the presenters made it worse. But i must say..the bands were great, esp. John Butler and Crowded House.

-fm

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
There is already a lively discussion about the concerts here;

www.belowtopsecret.com...

And, for the conspiracy minded, another angle has been presented here;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Dang good post, AlabamaCajun , but please contribute to the previous threads.

Closing this one.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Upon review, I believe there is a place for this thread in Fragile Earth. It neither discusses the performances, nor does it focus on the political figure of Al Gore, but rather takes the middle road of the 'Event Message' itself.

My apologies, AlabamaCajun.

top topics

join