It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Is The Best Place (Town/Location)To Live ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Hi Folks,

I need your input on the best places in the US or "Wherever" to live. I am looking to shake he dust off my shoes and leave Los Angeles behind in the rear view mirror, hopefully as soon as early next year. The only question is: where do I move to? I am looking for someplace much less busy and crowded and expensive as California. Also, someplace where I can actually see stars at night and not hear the constant sound of police helicopters and sirens, either.

Small towns, medium sized towns, no town at all(rural areas) all are in the mix.
I have no preset exclusions for certain states or countries, in fact I have thought about possibly leaving the US entirely if that's what it takes to find the perfect place to spend the rest of my life. So, how about it? Any suggestions or warnings? Let me hear from you. I really do need your help.

Thanks...

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Hello? Is there anybody out there?

Come on folks, help me out here, please. I am serious about this and do want to hear about where you live and whether you think it's a good place to live. If you have any suggestions at all, please post them.

You folks are a much better gauge of good places to settle than a non-personal web site or book.

Don't make me beg!
It's demeaning and my son will make fun of me.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightseeker
I am looking for someplace much less busy and crowded and expensive as California. Also, someplace where I can actually see stars at night and not hear the constant sound of police helicopters and sirens, either.

I guess New York City (where I live) is out then

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

I am looking for someplace much less busy and crowded and expensive as California. Also, someplace where I can actually see stars at night and not hear the constant sound of police helicopters and sirens, either.

Yeah, I was hoping for something less crazy than L.A., but thanks for at least posting. I appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Here is the town I live in....LaBelle, Fl

Labelle, Fl

Population
Greater LaBelle, 12,000
City of LaBelle (County Seat), 5,000
Hendry County, 39,000

LaBelle Weather
Climate & Temperature
Annual Average, 74.2
Monthly Average (Feb), 64.4
Monthly Average (July), 82.7

Average Annual Rainfall, 40 inches
Prevailing Winds, S.E. at 8 mph
Average Elevation, 15 - 35 feet

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
East of the Rockies and West of the Mississippi River and Oklahoma or futher north any small town in that area will do problem is finding employment in those areas until TEOTWAWKI.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Here is the town I live in....LaBelle, Fl

Labelle, Fl

Thanks for the info, earth2. It sounds and looks like a great place to live. I will definately consider it as a possible new home.

Thanks again for your post. That is a beautiful photo and the other info sounds ideal.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
How about France?

I lam English and have settled in the "Charente" region here.

My old farmhouse is surrounded by grape-vines, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, everybody says hello, you can't find a policeman, wine is 1 euro a bottle, the air is fresh, property is still quite cheap, kids are respectful, old folks are well cared for, residential taxes are peanuts, etc, etc. I could go on for ages.

Basically, I love it. Nothing could make me return to the UK now.

Good luck in your searching.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Yup That takes Hong Kong out as well, not so many police helicopters as crime is very low (visible crime that is), but you will be lucky to see one star in a blue moon.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Well there is some pretty remote areas in Montana. Up toward Flathead lake, I love it there and in the winters everyone leaves(tourists) and there are just the locals. Pretty good people. Its so clean and rugged and peacful. My town Bigfork which I hate to say is growing but is so small and all it really is a highway and a tourist trap in summer, but I love it. I have been all around the Globe and this is the one place I have been truly happy. It's just beautiful and no one bothers you.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Nerbot, I would love to live in France I spent a year there and loved it. Also would love to live in Italy, my mom was born there but I have never been have you? Any suggesstions? I do have some relatives there. Where you live sounds peaceful and nice.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
How about France?

I lam English and have settled in the "Charente" region here.

My old farmhouse is surrounded by grape-vines, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, everybody says hello, you can't find a policeman, wine is 1 euro a bottle, the air is fresh, property is still quite cheap, kids are respectful, old folks are well cared for, residential taxes are peanuts, etc, etc. I could go on for ages.

Basically, I love it. Nothing could make me return to the UK now.

Good luck in your searching.

Thanks for your suggestion, Nerbot. I am not averse to the idea of moving out of the country, at least for part of the year, although I don't think I could say good-bye to America on a permenent basis. What does an old french farmhouse go for these days? Just wondering.

Thanks again, and have a glass of pino noir for me, o.k.?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Yup That takes Hong Kong out as well, not so many police helicopters as crime is very low (visible crime that is), but you will be lucky to see one star in a blue moon.

Thanks for posting, ChiKeyMonKey. I actually have visited Hong Kong, twice for a couple of weeks each time. It's a beautiful city and the people are wonderful. It's a great place to visit but I think I'll just keep it as one of my favorite vacation spots, at least for now.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by paigcal
Well there is some pretty remote areas in Montana. Up toward Flathead lake, I love it there and in the winters everyone leaves(tourists) and there are just the locals. Pretty good people. Its so clean and rugged and peacful. My town Bigfork which I hate to say is growing but is so small and all it really is a highway and a tourist trap in summer, but I love it. I have been all around the Globe and this is the one place I have been truly happy. It's just beautiful and no one bothers you.

It's interesting you should mention it, because Montana and Wyoming were definitely on my "consider" list. Are homes fairly affordable there? That is one of my key considerations, of course, and one of my main reasons for leaving California. But, I love the idea of Montana and the great outdoors, big sky and all that. Definitely will consider Bigfork and the surrounding area.

Thanks paigca, for your help.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well, I guess that depends on how big of house you want to live in or where. Most people purchase property and then build on it up there. I do have some friends that build houses or there are some cute shacks or large houses for sale. I think the closer to the lake you get the pricer. I was also looking for some houses to purchase, some go for 140,000 some lower o higher. It just depends on location and size. Wyoming is also a place I have spent quite a bit of time. I loved Cody the most. That area is just beautiful. I tend to stay away from Casper and Sheridan. They are pretty little towns but I always have some wierd experiences there.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

from paigcal:
Nerbot, I would love to live in France I spent a year there and loved it. Also would love to live in Italy, my mom was born there but I have never been have you? Any suggesstions? I do have some relatives there. Where you live sounds peaceful and nice.

Peaceful & nice is an understatement, it's so beautiful I don't ever want to leave.

I have grape-vines on all four sides of my old "fermette" which I am finally re-roofing. The view from the top of it is amazing. My nearest neigbour is about 1/2 a mile away and I have fruit & veg & three cats & home-made beer :w:

No more :bnghd: for me, I'm done with the rat-race but work real hard here at restoring this feast of wood and stone. Hard work but reeeeeeally satisfying.

from lightseeker:
What does an old french farmhouse go for these days? Just wondering.

My home cost about 35,000 euros about five years ago but prices have risen since then....see for yourself:

frenchpropertylinks.com

charente-property-lafontaine.com

So not for everyone but certaily for me....vive la France.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm warning you up front, you go there and you won't leave. Nova Scotia. It's got everything. Halifax is party central. Cape Breton is incredibly beautiful, you have to have money though, the job market isn't that great. The people, the food, the culture, EVERYTHING is outstanding. Take a vacation there BUT remember my first sentence.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I'm warning you up front, you go there and you won't leave. Nova Scotia. It's got everything. Halifax is party central. Cape Breton is incredibly beautiful, you have to have money though, the job market isn't that great. The people, the food, the culture, EVERYTHING is outstanding. Take a vacation there BUT remember my first sentence.

Thanks for the info, Intrepid, and the warning.

I've thought about Canada as a destination, but never considered NS.

...you have to have money though, the job market isn't that great.

This could be a slight problem, though; how much money do you need? New York City money ? I'm not rich, eh!

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by paigcal
I loved Cody the most. That area is just beautiful. I tend to stay away from Casper and Sheridan. They are pretty little towns but I always have some wierd experiences there.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try and steer clear of those places; I have enough "wierd experiences" as it is, I don't need new ones.
:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

My home cost about 35,000 euros about five years ago but prices have risen since then....see for yourself:

frenchpropertylinks.com

charente-property-lafontaine.com

So not for everyone but certaily for me....vive la France.

Thanks for the links, Nerbot, I will definitely check it out. Merci Beaucoup, mon ami.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join