It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea close to making new missiles operational: US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

North Korea close to making new missiles operational: US

news.yahoo.com

SEOUL (AFP) - North Korea has successfully tested new short-range missiles and is close to making them operational, posing a threat to South Korea and Japan, a senior US defence official said.

Yonhap news agency quoted Richard Lawless, outgoing deputy undersecretary of defence as saying: "We have a problem with the new system because it's much more accurate, it's much more survivable than the huge Scud force ... already targeted on (South Korea)."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Despite the advances in shutting down the NK reactor (its really too late, they have made thier bombs and this is simply a propaganda exersize) the country still remains a threat in the region. Japan should and is persuing missile defence and will perhaps need to up the ante to keep defending against NK increasing capacity.

I still remain convinced that China is pulling the strinks on old crazy kim to keep us occupied. To what end I have no idea.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Do you think China and Russia are playing these
smaller countires, N. Korea, Iran, Venezeula, etc,
in a war of attrition, to slowly dull American
might, for the inevitable East vs. West conflict?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I would say, Absolutely! Proxies have been the 'in' thing since the Cold War. Which is fine for Cold War style conflict. The Huge danger IMO is a Hot War starting between proxies which quickly brings in the Big Boys ie; Israel/ Iran-Syria.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think people here have a rather distorted view of the relationship between China and North Korea. China has very little control over North Korea's actions, they tolerate the regime at best, mainly because if North Korea were to collapse, it would create a huge border problem for the Chinese.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well, I don't pretend to know as much about their relationship as you. All I know is Kim Jong Il likes to make trips to Russia and China. I guess they 'tolerate' him.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
North Korea supplied equipment to Iran to build missiles that reach 5,000 KM. with an upgrade on the way that will reach 10,000KM. I only know this because I was very close to it while across the border in Iraq in 2004.
There is also a wide spread story of a new “red rain” a bio-fungal gas produced by N. Korea that was removed just prior to our last invasion of Iraq. It was guarded by people in Russian uniforms. Shalom.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   

All I know is Kim Jong Il likes to make trips to Russia and China.

Putin has made trips to the US, does that mean we control him?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Anything's possible I suppose. But I think there's just a little difference between the leader of the country with the most nukes on earth, and the reclusive nut job from North Korea. So it's comparing Apples and Salamander's IMO. In other words, one is a legitimate world player, and the other is a wanna be proxy who doesn't go anywhere for the most part. But when he does go on vacation........

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I think people here have a rather distorted view of the relationship between China and North Korea. China has very little control over North Korea's actions...

Besides the political support and protection that China offers North Korea there is also the fact that both are communist countries. Still, militarily speaking China does indirectly defend North Korea and it is also responsible for 90% of North Korea's vital oil supplies which it trades for other goods. North Korea also imports several other forms of supplies from China including electricity and energy, and I'm willing to bet hard currency as well. So it's quite clear that China most definitely exerts a huge amount of control over North Korea due to leverage. They demonstrated this ability of theirs when North Korea tested it's ballistic missiles. China was opposed to the test because it would cause Japan and South Korea to increase their military capability as well as their ties with the United States.

China - North Korea Relationship

new topics

top topics

join