It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran sees "creeping coup" in the press: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Iran sees "creeping coup" in the press: report

www.reuters.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran's culture minister said on Saturday there were signs of a "creeping coup" in the Iranian press that involved individual journalists, a news agency said, four days after a daily critical of the government was banned.

Ham Mihan, a pro-reform newspaper that published in May, was shut by the authorities on Tuesday over a legal technicality. Critics saw the move as part of a broader squeeze on dissenting voices such as students, intellectuals and rights activists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.telegraph.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bush sanctions 'black ops' against Iran

[edit on 7-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I found this interesting.

Does this have anything to do with
Bush authorizing black ops in Iran?

Somehow I don't expect much to happen,
especially anything revolutionary.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If this is Black-Ops, which wouldn't surprise me, this is the only way that the Iran threat can be reduced in my opinion.

If Iran is busy fighting a new revolutionary war, they will have less opportunity to fund Hezbollah and their troop conquests inside Iraq.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It does just appear to be an excuse to clamp down on criticism of the Iranian government, as the article suggests. Let's face it, the current regime has a history of clamping down on things they dislike (remember the recent publicity over nabbing people who were behaving in an 'unIslamic' way?).

Also, a pro-reform newspaper would support Ahmadinejad's opponents over him since he's considered somewhat of a hard-liner. Since he's not particularly popular inside Iran (petrol rationing, poor economy, instability, sanctions etc. haven't done his image very good) the present government has an incentive for cracking down on dissenting voices.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
iv known iranians for 20 years and i know there screwed by the present regime...a lot of them are more western than us...but when you got nut jobs stealing elections like state side there aint much you can do except wait for the bombs to start falling in your back yard...

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Guardian article:
Iran media accused of trying to oust president

wittleryouth,
It is unfortunate, that all we can do is sit back
and watch it unfold. Conflict is inevitable.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I would love to see this Iranian government taken out of power. I hope the people of Iran will take care of this problem on their own rather than wait for outside action.

top topics

join