It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity is based on Egyptian Myths - Jesus Christ is Horus

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Wait, so you can take the bible, with no known sources at all, and believe it but other people cannot do the same to other books?

Look, the Horus myth exists, it has been around 3000 years before Christ was even born. The fact that horus was not a man is just more proof that not only were the founders of Christianity liars, they were unoriginal as well. Don't come in here saying we can't believe something with no sources when you do the exact same thing. Just because you have been indoctrinated with garbage taken from a book that was written by a collection of goofs (aka, the bible) doesn't make it true either. The fact that Jesus may have existed doesn't prove anything...why is there no record of Jesus in actual history books? There are in depth records of everyone else's life who was important..where the F is Jesus in there...other than his execution there is nothing because he was just some dude.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Im sorry that at sixty you have been so deceived, forget the religions, I think catholicism has added so much pointless dogma that they are wrong in how they try to portray God, but, written documentation, none, reeally? Do better research man...here's an amateur book on it "Jesus Outside the New Testament" by Voorst, the fact actually is, that attempts to dismiss jesus as a historical figure and the founder of christianity are recent, why didn't everyone around within the first generation after Jesus' death just outright prove they were crazy? If they "changed" their religion to suit the other cultures and gods around them, why were they persecuted for NOT worshipping those pagan gods around them? As far as the main content of the thread, Jesus being a derivation of other myths, wake up people, for one, if you actually did research into ROOT egyptian mythology, like Book of the Dead, not watching videos made by people trying to disprove a fact, or reading completely slanted books, you'd see the similiarities are few. There's more than what you see going on in this world, and the campaign for trying to validate that Jesus was not God incarnate is rooted in humanity's continual struggle against the God of the universe, doesn't matter really, truth will set you free, if you're trying to deny Jesus, you're living a life in denial. Fight it through your short 80 yr life, to your grave, you'll see God soon enough.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NJE777
IChristianity is based on Egyptian Myths - Jesus Christ is Horus

I do not believe Christ is Horus. Not at all.
I DO believe He is God incarnate.

However -

Much of Christianity isn't based on Egyptian myths ... but much is 'borrowed' from the Summerians and their Annanuki stories.

The 10 Commandments DOES come from Egypt, but not from myths. It comes from the Egpytian Book of the Dead. Almost word for word. Moses got the Ten Commandments sure ... but he got them while living in Egypt and being taught by the Egyptian priests about the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Much of Christianity isn't based on Egyptian myths ... but much is 'borrowed' from the Summerians and their Annanuki stories.

Uhhh, no. The following link should suffice to kill that myth off forever. www.christian-thinktank.com...

They might have common sources, but The Bible most certainly did not copy from other ANE religions. Simply put, when borrowing does occur it leaves tell tale signs in the borrowing tradition that simply are not present in the Biblical accounts. A much more likely account is they were written IN RESPONSE to the Summerian stories, since durring the Exodus the Israelites would have been at their most vulnerable to foreign influence - such as the Midianite attempt at genocide by prostituting their women to ruin family cohesion.

The 10 Commandments DOES come from Egypt, but not from myths. It comes from the Egpytian Book of the Dead. Almost word for word. Moses got the Ten Commandments sure ... but he got them while living in Egypt and being taught by the Egyptian priests about the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

Sigh. No, it does not. First, the only Egyptologist that believes this is Ahmed Osman, and Ahmed Osman is widely concidered a crackpot by his fellow Egyptologists.

Secondly, they are NOT "almost word for word". They are not even close to each other.

And lastly, and most damningly in a comparative religious sense, the "borrowed" passages do not fit the context properly - why in the world would the Israelites copy a simple prayer of supplication and aggrandize it into lawgiving from their deity? That kind of rachetting up of the message has never been found ANYWHERE else in the known world, so the level of proof needed to claim borrowning is much more than a few alleged simularities that turn out not to be so simular.

(Shakes head and walks away) I need an asperin.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by BugZyZuncle

what's laughable is that a religion that fails to explain why the earth and universe are BILLIONS of years old, and instead bases the whole of existence on a timeline of less than 10,000 years still manages to convince feeble minds that it has ANY basis in fact.

seriously.... wake up.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiterabbit85

what's laughable is that a religion that fails to explain why the earth and universe are BILLIONS of years old, and instead bases the whole of existence on a timeline of less than 10,000 years still manages to convince feeble minds that it has ANY basis in fact.

Yea, that's right... Young Earth Creationism is the epitome of Christian thinking, idinit?

Guy, YE Creationism isn't the major interpretation of Genesis any longer, and hasn't been for much of the 20th century. Lets use the JPS 1911 edition:

Gen 1:1-5 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters.

And God said: 'Let there be light.' And there was light.

And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Verse 5 does not say that it took 24 hours to form the Heavens and the Earth. Given the idiosyncracies of the Hebrew language (of which even the English translation of the Hebrew BY JEWS is imperfect) what we find is the recipient of the vision represented TOOK ALL DAY TO SEE IT!!!

Once this interpretation is used, the entirety of the Genesis account fits the scientific observation to the letter! It was for that reason Robert Jastrow, former head of NASA, once said that he thought that the Big Bang theory would "cause some of my colleagues to run out and join the first Church of Jesus Christ of the Big Bang."

Follow this link to see a side by side comparison of how Science and Genesis describe the origin of the universe. Beer and Theology website link to article "Appendix 1 to Kalam and Teleological Argument...: post"

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
snip

[edit on 13-11-2008 by Kapyong]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Don't be a sheep and believe everything you read or see in a video!

Do your own research!

If you do your own research, you find that there are no PRIMARY sources on Horus which contain information on him having any similarities to Jesus Christ.

Not a single academically veted text on Ancient Egyptian Religion can be found mentioning ANY of the similarities to Jesus Christ that were mentioned in the original post on this thread!

Believe me I have looked everywhere, checked periodicals in university libraries. THERE IS NOTHING THAT SUGGESTS THE CLAIMS MADE ABOUT JESUS AND HORUS BEING SIMILAR!

I URGE ALL OF YOU TO GO AND DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH........

YOU WILL FIND NOTHING!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NJE777

NJE777 , Horus??????? Please…???
With all those stars, you ought to try to be an author…these fairy tales in the OP…SEE… www.bede.org.uk …SOME GOOD ADVICE for you to profit from this SAD post…

“ 1. The first thing to do is ensure you cast your net as widely as possible. So within Christianity you should include every cult, heresy and sect you can get your hands on. Gnosticism will be particularly helpful as they did indeed borrow large chunks of pagan thought which is partly why they were considered heretics in the first place. As for paganism, this can include just about everything. Freke and Gandy comb not only Greek cults (Oedipus) but also Egyptian (Horus and Osiris), Roman (Bacchus) and Persian (Mithras). Elsewhere you will find Celtic deities, Norse beserkers and Indian mystics pulled into the fray. Now, with this vast body of writing, finding parallels will not be too challenging provided you are willing to wade through it all.
2. But don't restrict yourselves to pagan religions from before the time of Christ. Remember your methodology should be that Christians copied pagans and not the other way around. This is useful because you can now point to similarities between paganism and Christianity after the latter was already widespread. So if, like Freke and Gandy, you can find a picture showing Bacchus on a cross dating from two hundred years after Jesus was crucified you can still claim that the Christians copied the pagans and not the other way around.
3. Language is important. Christian terms such as 'salvation', 'Eucharist', 'word made flesh' and 'lamb of god' are common currency today. Therefore when translating or paraphrasing pagan sources always use modern Christian language. Never mind that the ancient pagans would not have known what you were on about - you are not talking to them. In this way you can call a woman being raped by various kinds of wildlife a 'virgin birth', you can call having ones body parts stuck back together a 'resurrection' and you can call just about every Greek hero a 'son of god'. Also it is helpful to use King James Bible phrases and style when quoting pagan texts. It gives them some more gravitas.
4. Do try to confuse liturgy and practice with history. For instance the mystery religions and Christianity were both underground movements so they had to operate in similar sorts of ways. Sacred meals and ritual washing are as old as religion itself so the Christianity using them as well as pagans is not surprising at all. Make it sound like a complete revelation.
5. Say totally different things are in fact closely related. For instance, Mithras was sometimes represented by a bull. Say this is the same as Jesus being called the lamb of God (ignoring that one is a symbol of sexuality and strength and the other of innocence and humility). Compare the Mithric ritual of taking a shower in the warm blood of the aforementioned bull with Christian baptism with water. Claim that the thieves crucified with Jesus are the same as a pair of torch bearers that appear on some illustrations of Bacchus.
6. For goodness sake do not mention the things that really made the pagan mysteries interesting. After all your work of showing that Jesus and Bacchus are one and the same, you will lose everything if you let on that Bacchus was the god of drunkenness and his worship involved getting plastered and having sex with anything in sight (goats being a particular favourite). In fact, keep sex out of it altogether. Yes, sex was the central feature of an awful lot of these pagan rituals but that is not the point your are trying to make.
7. Avoid up to date scholarship which will probably pour cold water over your vaunted theories. You will find plenty of nineteenth and early twentieth century writers with a bone to pick that can support your wildest speculations. And do not worry if not everyone agrees with you - you can always dismiss the dissenters as apologists or as those unable to cope with your earth shattering ideas.

Take this advice and you may be a best seller!!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
THERE IS NO PROOF OF HORUS BEING SIMILAR TO JESUS CHRIST AT ALL!

I have looked for myself, searched library periodicals, there is NOTHING. NOT A SINGLE PRIMARY VERIFIABLE SOURCE!

all you will find is a book by some guy who makes these bogus claims without hard evidence done by respected academics in the field of Ancient Egyptian Religion.

PEOPLE DO NOT BELIEVE SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE IT IS IN WRITTEN OR IN A VIDEO OR ON TV SOMEWHERE.

I URGE ALL OF YOU TO DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

the amount of bogus claims made on here without any verifiable proof is ridiculous.

I could say that George Bush is an Alien from Neptune and a bunch of people on here would probably believe it. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH PEOPLE!

don't be sheep.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by NJE777

NJE777 , Horus??????? Please…???
With all those stars, you ought to try to be an author…these fairy tales in the OP…SEE… www.bede.org.uk …SOME GOOD ADVICE for you to profit from this SAD post…

Why don't you read the entire thread? Hmm? Instead of making sarcastic comments. Pathetic... I discussed a BOOK written by someone else...

They are someone elses claims, not mine!

Thats all and the discussion was informative so take your sarcasm and insults and crawl back under your rock.

Originally posted by Thurisaz
For those who have not read the entire thread please see these posts:

Bryd debunked Harper's claims.

I am not rejecting some of the similarities that exist between religions; but Zietgeist has been debunked and I believe Tom Harper's claims have too.

As per Harper's claims:

Originally posted by Byrd

So quite simply the claims made by the author are BS? Fabricated?

That appears to be the case.
...more here

Controversy with Harper's sources - unbiased and factual

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Thurisaz]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Thurisaz,

Hi, I'm OT!

THX SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY (to me)

Problem is... I was not talking to you.

And! There was no sarcasm in my post (really)...

other than the fact, it was for the OP...

other than the fact that my approach / logic is unquestionable...

other than there is more to (all of yours) denial than meets the eye...

etc...etc...

Young man, if u think ur ready for OT, get some caffene, get dear ole mom prayin, and bring it on...if ur having 2nd thoughts... there may be hope 4 your soul???????

Time will telll...OT watching .....

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Thurisaz, are you saying the OP has recanted this post?

If so, where is he?

Hey listen...what (we) say here is a 'record' for ALL to see...SO my response is needed for closure ... help me out and I'll clarify if need Be....

Question though, how this thread show up on 'recent posts' if the reply before me was several days?

I just responded when l saw it on latest posts....

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Hi I am NJE777... I changed my username as I didn't want my initials so now its Thurisaz. I feel Harper's claims were wrapped up pretty quickly, it is just a shame that the thread doesn't die.

As for me getting stars and that somehow makes me a potential author,

There are many people who post information up to DISCUSS an issue, that is all this thread was.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Thurisaz]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

ok...count to ten next time before hitting 'new thread' ok?

You are a good man for stepping up!!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND YOU WILL FIND NO PRIMARY SOURCES BACK UP THE CLAIMS OF JESUS CHRIST BEING SIMILAR TO HORUS.

YOU'LL FIND NOTHING IN ANCIENT EGYPTIAN RELIGION IN ACADEMICALLY VETTED SOURCES. NOTHING.

THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK IS FULL OF BS!

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gianluigi

G,

Deep breadth...

He 'get's' it...see the few posts before yours on this same page....

You make great points....focus the energy on other needed threads...let's help him let this one die!!!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BugZyZuncle
To compare horus to Christ is simply laughable, and some of you will believe anything rather than believe the truth.

HOw can anyone, in their right mind, compare horus with Christ, really?

The reality is, Christ was the Son of God, and horus was a myth made up by the Egyptians which constantly changed throughout the years. There is plenty of evidence to support Christ if people would actually take the time to investigate his life on earth.

However, most people don't want to admit the existance of Christ because they would then be required to adjust their life accordingly.

Maybe it's you who don't want to understand the REAL nature of Christ because that will require an overhaul of your beliefs.

I've been Christian my whole life, but I couldn't just reconcile the concept of eternal love vs eternal torment. Why just let the bad spirits be deleted or something like that without pain? Impossible? But God is omniscient and omnipotent right?

I'm also beginning to doubt Christianity, as Christians are mostly concerned about how their obedience would caused them to be blessed materially through obedience. Isn't that's what this 'pagan' world is teaching? Getting rich materially has never been one of Christs teachings!

Christians strive to get rich so they think they will set an example of how a Christian's life is and people will love to become one themselves, but they're setting a wrong example. Many of Christ's most effective disciples are hardly what you call materially rich, they relied on other people's help. Of course, Jesus have rich disciples too, but they were already rich then, and didn't attributed their wealth due to obedience to Christ :/

[edit on 20-11-2008 by ahnggk]

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Scott McQuate puts an interesting spin on this topic, he states that the Jesus story is actually the melding of 2 Mythological gods at the Council of Nicea belonging to the Pagans and Indians. The first being Iesus and the second Chrishna and this is why they appear to have similar traits because they are the combination of both.

Now the interesting part is that the person the story portrays is none other than the real person yeshua Mushea or how ever its spelt and he was the real deal and his message is very different to what the "Paulized" churches now teach as doctrine.

I could go on but if you interested just download his interview by Danial Ott.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join