It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SPORTS: NFL Divisional Playoffs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
NFL fans will be happy with the games that are lined up for this weekend. While the Joe Gibbs hiring in Washington seems to of caught the most press this week, there are some great matchups this weekend in the divisional round of this years playoffs.

The Colts vs. Chiefs game gives us two of the games most explosive offenses knocking heads with eachother. The Chiefs had a bye week and should be plenty rested for the hot Colts who last week blew out the Broncos 41-10 behind Peyton Mannings 5 td performance. This game is going to come down to who can run the ball better. If the Chiefs fall down early against the high-powered Colts, look for them to put the ball into Trent Greens hands to try and make some plays. If this occurs look for the Colts to move on to the AFC Championship game. Priest Holmes needs to be taken out of this game early if the Colts expect to have any chance. The Chiefs must somehow get pressure on a red-hot Manning and try to make him force his throws. That will be tough to do considering Indianapolis has a good offensive line. Arrowhead may be the biggest advantage for the Chiefs this weekend.
My prediction is the Chiefs win this one 38-34.

The Titans with their no named defense have just continued to add up wins. After losing 5 straight to the Ravens, the Titans went into Baltimore last week behind Eddie George (who played with a seperated shoulder the entire second half) and found a way to beat the Ravens. Tennessee won't have a easier time this week when they travel to New England, the hottest team in the NFL. Tom Brady has been spectacular this year despite having a weak running game behind him. Steve McNair who was picked off multiple times last week better bring his "A" game if he plans on going in and beating the Patriots. This game will come down to which offense turns the ball over less. The Patriots have a remarkable way of winning games this year with no "star" names. They are the true definition of what a team is suppose to be. They play as a group and are very difficult to stop when they are on their game. The short passing game that New England implements is almost impossible to stop, so Tennessee better come in and get after Brady early. Unlike the Colts vs Chiefs, this game will be very much a defensive battle.
Prediction : New England wins 17-14 setting up a Chiefs vs Patriots Championship in the AFC.

On to the NFC where this weekends battles are very differant than those in the AFC. The Carolina, Rams game is going to be the age old game of defense vs offense. The Rams are a vulnerable team when they play great defenses. Carolina has probably one of the best front sevens in the league and if they get to Bulger early expect the Rams to have 2 or more turnovers. Marshall Faulk seems to be a returning to his old form which could provide dangerous if Carolina ends up blitzing to much in this game. Bulger will have to be quick on his feet this week and provide some kind of scrambling if he wants to have a decent game. Jake Delhomme on the other side is a NFL anamoly. Most teams wouldnt consider him as a starter, but with Stephan Davis running the way he has this year, Delhomme has just had to limit mistakes. He did better than that last week when he ripped apart the Cowboys top ranked defense. The Rams are a differant team at home so I expect their large Tackles, Pace and Turley to control the outside and Faulk to be lef tin the backfield often to pick up any missed blocks.
The Rams win this one by the skin of their chinny-chin-chin 24-23.

The Eagles got the matchup they did not want this week. They wanted the Seahawks to win last week in Green Bay, but the father of Favre seems to want to provide the Packers with a few more miracles. The Packers have played inspired ball since the father of Brett Favre passed away nearly 3 weeks ago. Green Bay has averaged 35.4 points in their last 4 games. They match up extremely well against the injury ridden Eagles who will be missing RB Westbrook and LB Emmons. The Packers lit up the Eagles for 241 yards on the ground when they met earlier this year in a rainy Lambeau. The Packers fumbles the ball 6 times and tossed another turnover to the Eagles. With that many turnovers most wouldve expected a blowout by the Eagles, but they had to come back with 30 seconds left to pull ahead 17-14. The Eagles injury problems and record at home this year leans me to believe they will have some major problems stopping Ahma Green and the Packers. This game is all about whoever wins the turnover battle. If the Eagles come out ahead on turnovers, then the game is theirs for the taking.
The Packers upset the Eagles 31-21. Divine intervention continues.

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Dreamz]

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
God I wish sports teams would manage their salaries so the average person could afford to go to a game.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
All I have to say is.... GO PACKERS!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I hear that GG used to be able to afford a game here and there now its all about big money, checking for tix last night for the Patriots-Titans game, like $1,800 for a ticket in no mans land, utterly absurd when you can see much better on a tv at home, just minus the atmosphere of the stadium, but thats expensive for the atmosphere. Go New England!!

Hey Dark, I think we'll see a NE vs GB rematch with a different outcome!

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by tracer]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The thing is football has such a short season so their games are always at a premium. Not to mention it is probably the #1 sport in America at the moment. You will hardly find empty stadiums in the NFL no matter the price, unless of course your the Cardinals or Bengals.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Agreed on that Dreamz, however not fair to the fans and it sure dont help any, only way to beat it is to become a season ticket holder, and you might wait 5 years on the list to get them tix.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Traver the wait for season tickets in GB is 45 + years.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Sorry for not posting on here for playoff predictions.

Manning Super Bowl MVP!

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I dont doubt that a bit Dreamz, I remember a few teams had waits of 10 years plus, Redskins at one time had a wait of 15 or so years.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Green Bay 57,000 30
Washington 51,000 20
New England 50,000 25-30
Tampa Bay 40,000 20-25
Denver 20,000 10-15 32
N.Y. Giants 19,000 10-15
Kansas City 17,000 2
N.Y. Jets 17,000 10-15
San Francisco 16,000 2-4
Chicago 10,000 5-10
Philadelphia 6,000 5-10
Detroit 3,200 2-3
Tennessee 2,200 5-10
Minnesota 1,600 2

Thats the number on the waiting list followed by the years before tickets might be available. Sorry I thought it was 45 for the Packers.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I missed the Rams game, but the score was close.

I nailed the Pats game 100%!!!!

top topics

join