It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Qaeda fanatics working in police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Al Qaeda fanatics working in police

www.thisislondon.co.uk

Up to eight police officers and civilian staff are suspected of links to extremist groups including Al Qaeda.

Some are even believed to have attended terror training camps in Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Astonishingly, many of the alleged jihadists have not been sacked because - it is claimed - police do not have the "legal power" to dismiss them.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This is the absolute craziest thing that I have read (today).

I can't believe that this is public knowledge and these people were still given employment, unless this info came out after they were hired.

If this were to happen here, in the US, whatever department they worked for would have concocted some reason to fire them so they weren't violating any EOE laws.

Any of our friends in the UK have an opinion about this?

www.thisislondon.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
To be honest, i'm not too sure what to say after reading that.

If there is proof that they have links to terrorist groups, what is there to debate about whether they should be removed from the police force or not?

In many occupations, if you are accused of something, you are removed from your post until the facts are established. When you are in a position of authority such as this, it makes sense that the same should happen.

I like to think the Home Office will intervene at some point and inject some seriousness into this, you can't have the new Prime Minister telling everyone to be strong against terrorism and fly the British Flag whilst having terrorists in the police!

Talking of which, if i am now being told to fly the Brit flag to show strong against terrorism, will i still get asked to remove a christmas tree for fear of it offending someone in December?

CX.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The article really doesn't say how they knew that these folks attended terrorist training camps. It does state that they are not part of the current investigation.

What really kills me is that they know that one of these individuals is posting picures of beheadings and bombings on the internet and they still do nothing about it.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by scooler1
The article really doesn't say how they knew that these folks attended terrorist training camps.

To a job in any sensitive position, one must obtain at least Basic clearance. I work in an Engineering capacity for a large Telco in the UK (not really allowed to say what) and I needed SC clearance from the Home Office (hence why I can't tell you what I do).

As part of this clearing process, they dig the dirt on you.

If your not deemed a risk, then your allowed to get on with the job.

I know some people where I work have been refused clearance and had to be re-assigned elsewhere.

Incidentally, they were Muslims and where quite devout. They still work for the Company, but not in any sensitive role.

Originally posted by scooler1
What really kills me is that they know that one of these individuals is posting picures of beheadings and bombings on the internet and they still do nothing about it.

It's not a crime.

Or are we going down that slippy slope now where we arrest people because we find them offensive? For crying out loud, ATS has "distributed" beheading video's and I've watched several myself. You want ATS shut down and for me to go to jail for that?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
It's not a crime.

True but would'nt that fall under the realm of inappropriate conduct of a police office?.

Recently a fire fighter was suspended because he used bad language in some of his music while off duty so how is this any different?

If I were them I would re-run the background check to verify the allegations and then dismiss them if it is verified.

Britians poltical correctness is going to be their down fall, you do not keep potentially dangerous individuals on staff who can leak information to others

[edit on 7/7/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
While it's not a crime it certainly should raise a few concerns surely.

It's one thing coming across stuff on the net and veiwing it, but keeping it on the pc to re veiw smacks of something more sinister.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
What is (if any) the background investigation like for UK police candidates? Here it varies by the agency; some rural sheriff's office in Alabama might just hire you on the spot and send you off to a police academy (generally run by the State Police/Highway Patrol in the more rural, less populated states) but where I live oh man they go as far to look into how many times a day you go to the bathroom, they interview as many friends/neighbors/family members/coworkers/bosses, etc as they can find, they look at your MySpace and Facebook profiles, etc. Thats how deep they dig.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Well stumason, I feel that in light of the current state of the world in regards to terrorism and radical jihadist-types, that an organization that is charged with protecting the public would have a problem with one of thier own disseminating information that contradicts the person's job. So, while I do not see it as a crime, I think that it is very questionable.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
. Unless these guys are taking or sending money (knowingly) from terrorist organizations. This is scare mongering.

The myth of Al Ciada has even infiltrated your local police, be scared of everything, give up your rights. bla bla bla.

[edit on 7-7-2007 by AwakeAndAllSeeing]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The funny thing about this article and the responses to it is this;

If the paper knows about it, the police and security services do.

Now personally I'd be more concerned about the potential of it happening without anyone knowing about it at all.

But thats not the case here is it?

I do think that if these guys have any legitimate links to the organisations in question they should be out of a job ASAP and thoroughly investigated.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I know some people who work as security for various places, usually filling as cover.

All security now in the UK have to have an SIA licence, the company will hire people without a licence and ut them through the course, in the interim they a basically given a cover note while the actual checks are put through and the licence is processed. As well as that little loop hole, they often joke that its all down to what info you give, any thing you think may be a problem, you simply miss out of the form and hope for the best.

As far as the police etc being infiltrated i've kinda expected that would be the case, but if their 'in' then I would of thought they would be 'clean skins' as they call them now - that is nothing to flag them up. I would hope that any flags raised would mean real questions had to be awnswered. But nowadays I've lost faith.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Not sure if this is one of the 8 but this individual was extradited and convicted in France served 2 years and yet he is still a traffic warden???????

Convicted in France -The terrorist who became a London traffic warden

I would say if this is true they certainly have problems with their police forces. I have never heard of one that allows convicted felons to be hired. Also how on earth did he get back into the country considering the fact he was not a British Citizen???

[edit on 7/8/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Traffic wardens in the UK are usually outsourced by councils to private companies. They're not part of the Police force.

Just thought I'd point that out

In Reading, where I live, most Traffic wardens are African immigrants. Pay is low and the job brings a hell of a lot of abuse by the public, for obvious reasons.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Traffic wardens in the UK are usually outsourced by councils to private companies. They're not part of the Police force.

Outsourced or not they still go into plice stations do they not? Read my sig line loose lips sink ships. Therefore if a regualr officer/bobby/copper whatever says something to another and gets heard by the trafic warden and if he is a member of AQ he certainly could pass on any info he/she thinks might help their cause. That is the point I am trying to make here.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I would think someone would get on the ball and start doing background checks on these wannabe's police.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Outsourced or not they still go into plice stations do they not?

Er, no, they do not.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Er, no, they do not.

ERRR they are serving as the eyes and ears of some of Londond finest according to this article DUH

The Metropolitan Police are to transfer hundreds of officers from traffic duties to fighting street crime.
Traffic wardens are going to be used to free up police officers as well as taking on an extended 'eyes and ears' role in the city centre.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir John Stevens has outlined plans to deal with the rising problem of street crime.

BBC

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Seems to me they are working with them to a point

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Your article is 5 years old and since then, the Police Service traffic wardens have since been got rid of. They are now privatised out to NCP in central London, which are just any old bods wandering around handing out tickets.

The same is true for nearly all major urban conurbations in the UK. They work for private firms who report to the council's, not the Police.

EDIT: Duh!

Until 1994, illegal parking was a criminal offence, enforced by police officers and traffic wardens. The government allowed councils to take over and use private traffic attendants after they complained not enough tickets were being issued. Since then motorists have been hit with more than £1.35 billion in parking fines.

Linky

[edit on 8/7/07 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Your article is 5 years old and since then, the Police Service traffic wardens have since been got rid of.

That may very well be true but I find it very hard that street wardens who were considered the lowest (according to some sources) now are getting the same powers I noted above and this article is dated just last month

Linky

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join