It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Evidence uncovered that Russia sold tech to Saddam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
American officials have found evidence that Russia was selling illegal arms to Iraq during our troop deployment in Iraq. Such arms being sold were night vision goggles and radar jammers. This along with the possibility Russia was selling illegal arms to Iraq during the U.N. sanctions could go a long way in disrupting the relationship between the U.S. and the former Soviet Unions.

With Putins recent election debacle that upset many in the administration to the not allowing debt to be cleared in Iraq is just a few of the pressing issues that seem to be seperating the once powerful regime from it's newborn western allies. If this type of behavior continues the U.S. will have to seriously reconsider it's alleged friendship with the Soviet leadership.

Edit: Moved to ATS status, i was waiting for you to add something past the the more tag

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think that both countries, United States administration and Russia, perform 'illegal' activities against U.N orders--like the U.S spying unwarranted on U.N delegates to create a win vote to attack Iraq at the beginning.

I also believe that Russia is not an ally of the United States' agendas and that Russia will do arms deals against orders of U.S policies.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if Russia did. What better way to test all your new toys.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Russia was involved in selling weapons to every middle eastern country. And so was the US. Who do you think helped Saddam into power? We did. We needed an ally. Where do you think that Isreal gets their weapons? From us. There was and is plenty of arms traffiking from both sides of the Atlantic.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I recollect reports of the rader jammer(might have been the GPS jammer) thing came out prior to ground action, not sure about night vision but I have to say anyone can buy them on the open market. I'm not sure this is such a big deal unless its found that major weapons systems, armaments were supplied in the last several years in spite of UN embargo. besides lots of Russian ordinance probably would have gotten through third party nations such as Syria.

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
More on this story: www.boston.com Evidence cited of Russian arms in Iraq By Paul Richter and Kim Murphy, Los Angeles Times, 1/10/2004 WASHINGTON -- US officials have found evidence corroborating White House allegations that Russian companies sold Saddam Hussein high-tech military equipment that threatened US forces during the invasion of Iraq last March, a senior State Department official said yesterday. The official said the United States has found proof that Russian companies exported night-vision goggles and radar-jamming equipment to Iraq, the official said. The evidence includes the equipment itself and proof that it was used during the war, according to the official. Such exports would violate the terms of United Nations sanctions against Iraq. "We have corroborated some of that evidence," the official told a group of reporters. While insisting that the matter is "now in the past," he said that the Bush administration "never received entirely satisfactory explanations" of its charges, and that the issue "is still a sensitive one in the relationship." "It's an issue that, shall we say, did not do much for strengthening trust," the official added.

new topics

top topics

join