It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New fish found. Guess what they named it...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Article link here.

A new type of electric ray was discovered off the coast of S. Africa. Due to the electric yellow markings on its' skin and it's incredible mouth sucking power, it was thus named....

You ready?

ELECTROLUX!!!

Wow, what a sucky name!
Yes, they really named the fish after a vaccum company. I wish more scientists had a sense of humor like this.

All joking aside, there's an interesting note in the article that states that the fish was first observed in 1984 by divers. Over the years it has been photographed and videotaped. In 2003 a specimen was finally caught for study. Now in 2007 has the fish been deemed as an official species of fish and given a scientific name.

That's 23 years from first sighting to official recgontion. Just for one fish. Imagine how long a bigfoot would take. Or the Chupacabra! Makes you wonder what other critters are out they that we see all the time but don't have an "official" name.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
You know Cowboy, for a long time scientists thought the platypus was merely a joke, kind of like the jackalope.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Electrolux? Well it's better than "Kevin" isn't it?

Maybe they'll name the next species of Cuttlefish discovered "Dyson" or "Hoover". Is this some sort of sponsorship issue on the part of the team that discovered it?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Sponsorship sounds like the way to go. You could have the:

The Pepsi abomnible snowman.

The Dell mermaid.

The Apple ibigfoot. (Que forms at the rear!)

Monkey

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Sponsorship sounds like the way to go. You could have the:

The Pepsi abomnible snowman.

The Dell mermaid.

The Apple ibigfoot. (Que forms at the rear!)

Monkey

That's funny. I once recall a Libertarian speaker say that the only difference between livestock (which are in no danger of extinction) and endangered animals is that nobody owns the endangered animals!

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It sounds like a Pokemon

But thats crazy that it takes 23 years to make it offical.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Electrolux, I choose YOU!! Seriously, I bet they taste like chicken.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Oh dear god. Who the hell came up with that name? '
'

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by crayak
Oh dear god. Who the hell came up with that name? '
'

Bored scientists, no doubt

Did you guys check out the article link? The editorial comment listed a number of other strange zoological names that were equally hilarious, if not more.

"There have been some very amusing scientific names given to organisms over the years. There's a beetle called Colon rectum, a wasp called Agra vation, a snail called Ba humbugi, a dinosaur called Scrotum humanum, a moth called Leonardo davincii, a beetle called Enema pan, and two wasps named after Darth Vader and Chewbacca...

Have a look here for a detailed list of some of the other weird ones. www.faculty.ucr.edu......"

Colon rectum...

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Awesome post! You are so right about the time needed for just one fish. I totally understand your point. It is almost as if baby-steps are needed just to verify. Great fish and cool name. I love hearing about when new species arrive on the scene.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
That's a pretty looking ray.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cowboy Clint

ELECTROLUX!!!

Wow, what a sucky name!
Yes, they really named the fish after a vaccum company. I wish more scientists had a sense of humor like this.

"What a sucky name"

Was the pun intended?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I understand the scientific method. Postulate a theory, test said theory and publish the results. But for many many years of my life I have likened this model to a dog chained to a stake in the ground straining at his chain. Each scientific "discovery" is absorbed as merely another link in the chain. Every advancement is still part of that damn chain. We are still four feet from the doghouse. Isn't it exciting that we can reach the rosebush now?

I have often wondered what would happen if the research money was just a little freer and the vicious vicious competition for those dollars was loosened up to allow REAL IDEAS. If you have (I don't know how many, how many would make me sad.) forty-seven others competing for the same chance then they are going to ride the middle line. If what pays is making chains then so be it. Call it science. It kind of really is. Those who speak up and say what they really think lose their grants.

And that is how it takes 23 years.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Sounds like a Pokemon...

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Probably just as welll that fish dont understand the human language. I think this has to be the worst name ever for an animal! Anyone know of any worse animal names?

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
There's quite a number of those. Check out the link in my post above.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
That's funny. I once recall a Libertarian speaker say that the only difference between livestock (which are in no danger of extinction) and endangered animals is that nobody owns the endangered animals!

... and a weed is just a flower that no one loves...

Honestly, this creature is extremely beautiful in its markings and shapes. What a delight to see something new discovered to remind us prideful beings that we don't know everything there is to know.

top topics

join