It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Insect Parts and Rodent Hairs are Allowed in Your Food?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

How Many Insect Parts and Rodent Hairs are Allowed in Your Food?

www.sixwise.com

How about a little rat hair with your peanut butter? A fly head with your macaroni and cheese? Though it may sound disgusting, these things and other gross filth the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) calls "natural contaminants" are indeed allowed and present in your food.
~~
Think insect parts and rodent hairs are more of a rarity? Think again. A University of Ohio fact sheet estimates that we eat from one to two pounds of insects each year, and without knowing it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Gross? yea I think so, I don't mind a bug now and again heck deep fried caterpillars taste like steak gristle, But rat crap, eek

www.sixwise.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Really, who cares. Anything that doesn't kill us will usually only make us stronger.
I think this sort of sensationalism is for those people who carry around waterless-anesthetic for their hands. People like that are oh so funny. I wonder if they have nightmares about touching the handrails of escalators . . . . .

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Man... bugs and hair? but.. but... man...

I cant go hungry though...

I need to go sit in the corner and cry

apc

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
You probably don't want to know how many spiders you eat in your sleep each year...

Oh well. Protein is good for you.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Ok Oh Excuse me
.That explains why I don't like peanut butter or macaroni.If they ever find bugs in chocolate- don't tell me, I don't want to know.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hey, look on the bright side! At least those bugs are hormone and steroid free! Yeah!

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
If they ever find bugs in chocolate- don't tell me, I don't want to know.

CHOCOLATE AND CHOCOLATE LIQUOR

Insect filth: Average is 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams when 6 100-gram subsamples are examined OR any 1 subsample contains 90 or more insect fragments
Rodent filth: Average is 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams in 6 100-gram subsamples examined OR any 1 subsample contains 3 or more rodent hairs
link

Any one care for a chocolate, here take the whole box I don't mind.
Nothing is sacred anymore.

I don't mind eating bugs, when I know I'm eating bugs, Fresh live June Bugs I find taste like Pepper mint patties and there crunchy too

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
:shk: Dang it Sauron I said I didn't want to know! I just ate a chocolate bar!

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
That's just fine with me!

Out here they add extra insects for a bit of crunch. Deep fried cicada anyone?

Most Chinese chefs have the view. "If it has legs you can eat it, apart from the chairs and tables".

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'll never look at a Hershey bar the same again

I'm gonna be looking at my food better lol

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
and here i was feeling the munchies coming on... not anymore thank you very much..lol

um did you also know about the hot dogs and baloney??

ok i think i am gonna go

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The thing most people don't mention when they make these studies and news reports is that we should be grateful there are that few of these things present in our processed food. The sheer reality of it is you would have to shut every single food processing plant down and never be able to operate them if there was a zero tolerence policy in effect. Perhaps in this day and age they can find another way to do it but you would never be able to get a zero percent. Wherever food is processed you will find rats and bugs unfortunately it is the nature of the beast. And to be perfectly honest my Dad worked in a food processing plant and if you thought the bits and pieces you got in your food is a nasty tale then you would never eat again after he told you a couple of stories.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
Any one care for a chocolate, here take the whole box I don't mind.
Nothing is sacred anymore.

Yeah sure, let me have it. What's an insect fragment or two compared to the 100grams of chocolate. Besides, people already eat bugs regularly -- arthropod.

Members include spiders, weevils, caterpillars, shrimp, crab and lobsters.

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Most Chinese chefs have the view. "If it has legs you can eat it, apart from the chairs and tables".

When I asked some Chinese friends of mine how come they can eat anything, they tell me it's because they have chefs that can make anything taste good. Can't disagree with that. They also told me it's their secret to success, being that they're everywhere.

top topics

join