It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why might "Skeptics" join ATS

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
OK, let's stop this pissing contest while we're (not) ahead.

you started it with this unprovoked attack
if you can't take the heat...................

Here is a short list of people I do, however, consider hardcore skeptics:
Byrd, Marduk, and SuicideVirus
I would really like to know what's going on inside the minds of these individuals.

fyi I am not a hardcore sceptic
I just post in subjects that I know things about because I have studied them
maybe you should try it

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
More par-for-the-course Marduk nastiness. Tell me, are you going to answer my question-do you believe in any alternative theories?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
well, I was thinking, we are all skeptical of something,

I am not a skeptic intrinsically, I just don't believe everything I hear or read, but I take it into consideration.

[Origin: 1565–75; < LL scepticus thoughtful, inquiring (in pl. Scepticī the Skeptics) < Gk skeptikós, equiv. to sképt(esthai) to consider, examine (akin to skopeǐn to look; see -scope) + -ikos -ic]
dictionary.reference.com...

[edit on 7-7-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Alright, I'm just curious, Marduk are there any alternative theories you DO believe in?

I believe in certain limited psychic powers like Telepathy (under certain conditions) and I believe in the immortality of the soul and reincarnation but not the accompanying religious rubbish like heaven and hell or Karma
I believe that there are aliens out there but not that they have been in contact with us or changed the direction of our history
I believe that certain species of whales are just as intelligent as we are
I believe that certain Governments are hiding the truth about certain things from us but am not sure what truths they might be, is that alternative, I had to sign the official secrets act during my military service so thats evidence enough on its own.
I believe that there is essentially good in everyone..... thats pretty alternative isn't it ?

but these are beliefs and not really provable at least from my ability
so I see no reason to discuss them
I'm interested in theories based on facts
not in speculation without them

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

Alright, I'm just curious, Marduk are there any alternative theories you DO believe in?

I believe in certain limited psychic powers like Telepathy (under certain conditions) and I believe in the immortality of the soul and reincarnation but not the accompanying religious rubbish like heaven and hell or Karma
I believe that there are aliens out there but not that they have been in contact with us or changed the direction of our history
I believe that certain species of whales are just as intelligent as we are
I believe that certain Governments are hiding the truth about certain things from us but am not sure what truths they might be, is that alternative, I had to sign the official secrets act during my military service so thats evidence enough on its own.
I believe that there is essentially good in everyone..... thats pretty alternative isn't it ?

but these are beliefs and not really provable at least from my ability
so I see no reason to discuss them
I'm interested in theories based on facts
not in speculation without them

Ah, that's fair enough. You don't have your head crammed as far up your ass as I originally thought.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   

No I came running because someone u2u'd me that Ubercanist was taking this thread as an oppotunity to slag me and several other posters off behind our backs because on every occaison he has discusse anything with us his obvious ignorance has been waved at him like a flag

Any Proof?

I don't regard myself as a sceptic at all
I only generally post in the ancient mysteries section, is that the behaviour of a disinfo agent ?

No.

do you really believe that there are paid disinfo agents who would bother to post at internet forums. thats hilarious on its own
I post in ancient mysteries because I know a lot about the subject as I'm sure no one would deny, because I have studied the ancient world for years from credible sources and have always checked the data several times over scientifically before I accept it
now if some posters don't like that its because they don't like hearing the truth when they atempt to claim that the Sumerians were in contact with Aliens or that people from Atlantis built the pyramids or that the Mayans prophesised the end of the world in 2012 (all of these examples are blatantly false)

Post what you desire...remember only the feelings and thoughts of others who post after you. Remember the terms and conditions of ATS.

so ask yourself whats worse
someone who backs what they say in a regular post with credible evidence or someone who just runs their mouth off and then attempts to denigrate people more knowledgable than them behind their backs because they truly are Ignorant of the facts

Don't forget the MODS who regulate this site. They control/monitor topics with everyones' best interest in sight.

We, the general public, can see others' plights as well as the mods. and it is everyones' duty to inform each other of certain members' plights.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
About alternative beliefs, or metaphysics, there are just things "beyond our limitations, and imaginations.

I believe there are aliens, I can't tell you what I have experienced, you would not believe it.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Uber? be careful..

Ah, that's fair enough. You don't have your head crammed as far up your ass as I originally thought.

Let's not stray from the topic folks.

[edit on 7-7-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Uber? be careful..

Be careful about what? "Ass" isn't a swear word as far as our terms of service go.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   

ah right
so shall I hold my breath waiting for a retraction of your first statement that I am a die hard sceptic and that my mind wasn't working properly ?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Uber? be careful..

Be careful about what? "Ass" isn't a swear word as far as our terms of service go.

The topic is: Why might Skeptics join ATS

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

ah right
so shall I hold my breath waiting for a retraction of your first statement that I am a die hard sceptic and that my mind wasn't working properly ?

OK, so you're not a diehard skeptic, but I don't recall when I said your mind wasn't working properly?

(it's working within normal parameters btw)

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

someone who backs what they say in a regular post with credible evidence or someone who just runs their mouth off and then attempts to denigrate people more knowledgable than them behind their backs because they truly are Ignorant of the facts

well based on this

say Hi to graham for me the next time you're licking his ass

we have rude

they were drones at an apiary and so unfortunately suffer from dangerously low intellects(the proof of this is that most of them will need to look up the word Apiary to see what it actually means, the ones who don't bother will believe it has something to do with Gorillas)

we have condescending

and now do i get to throw in hypocrite as you will label this an attack on you

when it is a reasonable critique based on quotes from the horse's mouth

P.S marduk i felt almost bad enough to not post this after you actually gave one of the most surprising and enjoyable posts while you have been here, thanks for sharing

[edit on 7-7-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman

well based on this

say Hi to graham for me the next time you're licking his ass

we have rude

they were drones at an apiary and so unfortunately suffer from dangerously low intellects(the proof of this is that most of them will need to look up the word Apiary to see what it actually means, the ones who don't bother will believe it has something to do with Gorillas)

we have condescending

and now do i get to throw in hypocrite as you will label this an attack on you

when it is a reasonable critique from the horse's mouth

P.S marduk i felt almost bad enough to not post this after you actually gave one of the most surprising and enjoyable posts while you have been here, thanks for sharing

OK...I think we can all conclude by saying "don't write crazy crap without substaniation!" ...and... "be a skeptic if you must but never a jerk!"

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
deleted sorry

[edit on 7-7-2007 by PORCUPINEPIE]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman

thats ok
one mans condescending is another mans humour (especially in the humour of my country, I appreciate that you being an American won't understand that (thats also humour))
and like I said
I don't usually post outside the Ancient mysteries section and wouldn't be posting in this thread at all except that a fellow poser u2u'd me to tell me that Ubercanist claimed I was a die hard sceptic, as it now turns out incorrectly
so thats me happy

a lot of the time my humour is misconstrued as hostility
this is because I am English
please familiarise yourselves with this wiki page to save future embarrassment
en.wikipedia.org...
the earlier post about the Apiary was a perfect example of British humour
it was not supposed to cause offence, the fact that it did I of course find even funnier.
I have already recieved two u2u's from fellow Brits congratulating me on my comedy for that one at the same time that two seperate posters have taken offense at it
feeling guilty about gorillas are we ?

In fact some of you may be aware that I was banned for a short time a month or so ago
this was for posting to a Canadian (colonial British, same humour) in a thread about Oak Island.,
He u2u'd me to say thanks as he laughed out loud to my response to him at the same time Spiderj was busy banning me for being out of order (he's an american as well) . you can still read Johnny Canucks comments on my profile comments section about that

OK...I think we can all conclude by saying "don't write crazy crap without substaniation!" ...and... "be a skeptic if you must but never a jerk!"

please explain
what is a jerk ?

also notice that I have picked up a warning for something
thats a bit much
just for that, next time you guys need someone to bail you out during a war I'll make sure I behave like an american
i.e. I'll be three years late

[edit on 7-7-2007 by Marduk]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
deny ignorance - to deny your lack of knowledge - to deny something you have no knowledge of

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I think the horse has been beaten to death already.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
In my humble opinion, skeptics are not what they use to be. It use to be a skeptic was the voice that would say " Hold on there friend you might not want to buy that Snake-oil " and then the skeptic would give friendly advice on why they think the Snake-Oil is a bad idea.

What now pass for the most part as a skeptic, is a stuck-up scholar or wannabe scholar or some know it all student that thinks that anyone that doesn't believe in there dogmatic view of reality most be a fool.

To all the skeptics out there you should try understand this. For some of us, A is not always A

But don't get me wrong. I know full well that conspiracy theorist can be just as annoyingly dogmatic as any other group of people that believe in an idea.

Also as a proud crack-pot conspiracy theorist I have noticed that some members on ATS seem to only be around just to be naysayers and denounce any idea of an alternative nature.

Do I think these negative posters are dis-info agents ? No. I personally believe they are petty individuals that could never win a straight fight in real life, so they hide behind there monitors and make life unpleasant for complete strangers.

These small and petty people are also known as Star Trek fans.

I hope I have added to the forum in a positive way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the Star Trek fans I apologize for calling you small and petty. Please forgive me for I am an evil Star Wars fan who liked Episodes I, II, and II. And I surly will burn in hell for this.

P.S. And my answer as to why a skeptic might join ATS is

1. To mock other peoples point of view.

Or.

2. The Skeptic is a closet conspiracy buff.

[edit on 7-7-2007 by DarkMile77]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Having been labeled a skeptic by more than one person here at ATS, I anxiously dove into this thread hoping to gain some insight into how other members view skeptics, as well as how skeptics explain their stands on issues.

Instead, what I see is a running insult match between several members. I won't name names; you know who you are.

You'd be doing all of us a favor if you took your pissing contest offline to the u2u section.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join