It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why might "Skeptics" join ATS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Accept it.

It's HOW we present ourselves that makes all the difference.

I disagree
its age and education that generally sticks people in their mindsets.
it doesnt matter how you attempt to tell someone the truth that knowledge will still sit in their minds and fester until they acknowledge it.

Well guess what hon? there will ALWAYS be someone to agree/disagree with what we say.

How can we suppose for others 'what we deem the truth'...when the TRUTH is held in symposium or in flux?

Is there such a thing as a 'temporary truth'?

[edit on 6-7-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
please dont associate critical thought with just healthy skeptism
critical thought has just as much to do with being openminded and skeptic of the official politically correct money making version of the "truth"

people should be skeptical of everything including conspiracy but the official politically correct version as well

"in times of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

and someone could of course use logical skeptism with one idea, a narrow minded skeptics perpsective in regards to another topic, and be completely critical thinking in an unbiased search for truth in another, while being too open minded and conspiracy theorist like in another

if the intelligence agency's use disinfo because it works to confuse, and deflect and unless you deny the existance of disinformation it sure would be naive to suspect it doesn't exist on this board

i am just weary of people that are skeptic and always rude and condescending

[edit on 6-7-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Just to play devil's advocate because I generally agree with your assessment of the heavy-handed:

Many times, people's egos are wrapped up in a post. So even if a skeptic comes on and posts neutrally or bluntly, it is misread as hostile, condescending, etc.

I almost always attempt to post as neutrally as I can, but I'm also very direct. I have been accused of being a bully because I don't back down, but I've only gotten borderline hostile once or twice when I got tired of being sniped at and censored -- well, people attempt to censor me and I don't play along usually.

Sometimes a poster that cries bully has said something incendiary without meaning to.

It's very complex, and not a black and white skeptics vs. believers issue at all.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
If you are unwilling to change your point of view even when the bright light of the TRUTH is shining upon it's falsehoods, than you are intellectually dishonest, be you "skeptic" OR "true believer".

hmmm I've heard that term or something very similar before somewhere
took me a few minutes to find it but here it is

this is the Impression that the Horizon Tv show Atlantis reborn had given on the work of Graham Hancock according to him

The programme had created the impression that he was an intellectual fraudster who had put forward half baked theories and ideas in bad faith, and that he was incompetent to defend his own arguments.

he complained to the BBC Broadcasting commission who launched an Inquiry
this was what hey said about that

Adjudication: [The Commission] finds no unfairness to Mr Hancock in these matters.

www.bbc.co.uk...

maybe he should have listened to the sceptics before he started promoting his intellectual fraud on the public

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster

Is there such a thing as a 'temporary truth'?

sure
whenever a teenager says "I love you" and whenever a woman asks her man "does my bum look big in this"

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   

When protagonists (two parts of oneself, two individuals, or two groups) will destroy themselves rather than admit to possible fallacies in their thinking, the results are breakdowns in personalities, political parties, governments, and civilizations.

or discussions

The violent chaos in the present global society exists because belief systems (worldviews) in most institutions have reached a dead-end:

Scientists avoid dealing with anomalous aspects of human experience and nature.
The religious fear to examine the origins of their own beliefs.
Educators indoctrinate instead of helping students to become self-learners.
Institutions defend their beliefs and authority with arrogance.

www.vonward.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I was encouraged by my wonderful Grandfather to 'rape the world of knowledge' - My Grandfather was awarded, not only, 'awards for not missing one day in his highschool period, he was also awarded highest honors in his UNIVERSITY. He came in 1st..of 3....on the honor roles with his university.

My Mother stepped down. In her days.. the boys came first. My mother was progressing towards a doctarite degree. She excelled GREATLY in pharameseutical (sorry I dd'nt spell it right)

Then came me.

I live by grampys' words.

Don't ask...I love the Sciences...but I went my own course.

Guess what I do for my respectable living?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
see then theres this really paranoid group of posters who think that anyone who doesn't agree with them are disinfo agents who are really easy to spot

You should start a thread about them.

of course trying to explain to someone of this type of mentality that in reality any agency employing agents who were really easy to spot (even on a tin foil hat wearing level) is likely to be busted out really quick and get a job in local government pretty quickly

So how exactly does a disinfo agent get busted out? on the internet? Are agencies releasing press releases saying “he was really a disinfo agent.” Bob Lazar still claims he worked at Area 51.

these are the sort of people who claim that we are all approaching a higher level of consciousness despite the fact that the world around them is growing more paranoid and hostile by the day.

Never made such a claim.

oh hi Amelie

I'm sure you came running when you saw the word "skeptic".

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well the question we are really asking is, what is the truth? There is no full truth. You are going to get vague explanations from both sides of the spectrum. And what are their answers? I never the word action in any of the posts. Skeptics are continually going to give out more questions. The believers are going to give out answers and its a stalemate. Skeptics are here for a reason. You couldn't have one without the other. And skeptics can't disprove an answer, its either confirmed or denied.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Since nobody asked what I do for my living, I'll tell you.

I decided to create a job, not only for me, but for others.

I 'Re-created' a better Cleaning residential/small offices job program (jobsite) whereas I could not only 'monitor' the goings on with a cleaning industry, I have 'dirtied my hands' so to speak, and have involved myself on an ongoing basis, to provide 'proper and distinct cleaning process within our customers homes. My philosophy has allways included 'benefiting cleanliness in conjuction with moral workmanship to provide the best alll-around service in this capacity.

What does this have to do with sceptics...PLENTY!

I talk the walk with my business, as well as provide valid references and 'differences' to my well-valued business!

Remember the ol' saying: Action speaks louder than words.

I personally can put my money in the mouth.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out what might be weaknesses in someone's personal belief or theory, but what is wrong is misrepresenting the facts or just being a general douche.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I decided to create a job, not only for me, but for others

thank you

the world could use more people with motivation and heart like this

uberarcanist ............lol

[edit on 7-7-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
If you are unwilling to change your point of view even when the bright light of the TRUTH is shining upon it's falsehoods, than you are intellectually dishonest, be you "skeptic" OR "true believer".

hmmm I've heard that term or something very similar before somewhere
took me a few minutes to find it but here it is

this is the Impression that the Horizon Tv show Atlantis reborn had given on the work of Graham Hancock according to him

The programme had created the impression that he was an intellectual fraudster who had put forward half baked theories and ideas in bad faith, and that he was incompetent to defend his own arguments.

he complained to the BBC Broadcasting commission who launched an Inquiry
this was what hey said about that

Adjudication: [The Commission] finds no unfairness to Mr Hancock in these matters.

www.bbc.co.uk...

maybe he should have listened to the sceptics before he started promoting his intellectual fraud on the public

Oh, God, well if BBC said it, it must be right! This is the sort of blind obedience to the status quo that we can do without on this forum...

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman

I decided to create a job, not only for me, but for others

thank you

the world could use more people with motivation and heart like this

uberarcanist ............lol

[edit on 7-7-2007 by cpdaman]

What's so funny, the douche part?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Oh, God, well if BBC said it, it must be right! This is the sort of blind obedience to the status quo that we can do without on this forum...

spoken like a true fan of pseudohistory
well done
say Hi to graham for me the next time you're licking his ass

actually you know he has his own forum
why don't you go post their instead of commenting that this forum could do without those posters who time and time again have displayed an intelligence and understanding of the subject they are discussing far in excess of your own

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   

well done

why don't you go post their instead of commenting that this forum could do without those posters who time and time again have displayed an intelligence and understanding of the subject they are discussing far in excess of your own

Mhmm, snide remark and a unsupported assumption that I like Graham Hancock (I really, really don't, he's a lousy scholar, but that still doesn't make appeals to authority such as BBC valid). Keep it up.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   

well done

Marduc ? That wasn't nice:

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
OK, let's stop this pissing contest while we're (not) ahead.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelie

these are the sort of people who claim that we are all approaching a higher level of consciousness despite the fact that the world around them is growing more paranoid and hostile by the day.

Never made such a claim.

There is a group mind however, hopefully we are all drawing closer to a higher level of consciousness through this experience.

I'm sure you came running when you saw the word "skeptic".

No I came running because someone u2u'd me that Ubercanist was taking this thread as an oppotunity to slag me and several other posters off behind our backs because on every occaison he has discussed anything with us his obvious ignorance has been waved at him like a flag

I don't regard myself as a sceptic at all
I only generally post in the ancient mysteries section, is that the behaviour of a disinfo agent ?
do you really believe that there are paid disinfo agents who would bother to post at internet forums. thats hilarious on its own
I post in ancient mysteries because I know a lot about the subject as I'm sure no one would deny, because I have studied the ancient world for years from credible sources and have always checked the data several times over scientifically before I accept it
now if some posters don't like that its because they don't like hearing the truth when they atempt to claim that the Sumerians were in contact with Aliens or that people from Atlantis built the pyramids or that the Mayans prophesised the end of the world in 2012 (all of these examples are blatantly false)
so ask yourself whats worse
someone who backs what they say in a regular post with credible evidence or someone who just runs their mouth off and then attempts to denigrate people more knowledgable than them behind their backs because they truly are Ignorant of the facts

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Alright, I'm just curious, Marduk are there any alternative theories you DO believe in?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join