It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why might "Skeptics" join ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
Skeptics on a internet forum, well these are just the same guys n gals you would not talk to at school or even admit to your mates that you "accidently spoke to them" the one time.

hmmm
I always found that the biggest Sceptics at my school were the teachers
you know those people who you learned from
how much did you really learn from your friends who were giving you their version of a sci fi show they watched the previous evening

on another note I'd like to point out the irony of posting a thread thats designed to bash sceptics
I don't see any threads posted by sceptics designed to bash people who believe that aliens did it or that the earth is flat

when I get the urge to make an OP I always make sure that its informative and educates anyone who will read it
i.e. I don't post over and over again that Atlantis is really in the pegasus constellation or that the Annunaki were aliens who created the human race or that the pyramids are examples of an advanced technology

seems its not the sceptics who have a problem
its the people posting on what they believe
rather than what they can prove

anwyay, without a group of hardcore sceptics and their reality injections in this place it would be just another unexplained mysteries forum where on the whole teenagers come to show off because they saw something in a hollywood movie and have a theory about it
"hey I saw war of the worlds last night and have a theory, get this, what if, what if right, it wasn't really a film but was actually something that had happened and the govt has covered up the truth. oh and is that HG WALLS guy the same one who makes the sausages, maybe thats where the martians went, sounds plausible to me and my mum says i'm really clever"

as for being rude, on the whole we're not, but you too would get a little tired of peoples disbelief to your totally credible evidence if it was the 100th time in a row you had shown someone the copper tools that the egyptians used in their quarries to carve pyramid blocks and the egyptian murals of water buffalo teams dragging blocks to prove that they weren't cut out by laser and levitated to the construction site

anyway
Ubercanist who claimed I was a hardcore sceptic decided not to inform me that he was over here slagging me off
what does that say about his character
think that shows hes all for open sharing of information

btw loved the claim that we are all disinformation operatives
keep taking the drugs eh
(prerequisite emoticon)

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Marduk, true about the teachers, like I said skeptics do make others think the other way too and that comment did make me think
we are only learning at school from other peoples slant on things unless we are really lucky to have had a decent teacher.

I reckon we are all skeptics in one form or another, but people like you are open about it and stick by what you say.

For me, well tomorrow is always gonna be better than yesterday, that way of thinking helps me keep smiling.

Skepticism for you and Optimism for me

Wolfie

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
skepticism

Pronunciation: 'skep-t&-"si-z&m
Function: noun
1 : an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object
2 a : the doctrine that true knowledge or knowledge in a particular area is uncertain b : the method of suspended judgment, systematic doubt, or criticism characteristic of skeptics
3 : doubt concerning basic religious principles (as immortality, providence, and revelation)

That being said. How is being a skeptic a bad thing? I would much rather debate with a diehard skeptic than someone who takes things on blind faith alone. To not be a skeptic translates for me to sheeple.

Contradictions abound, yes. Since we all believe certain things that others find preposterous. Everyone needs to have a heathly dose of skepticism. Just my two cents.

B

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Marduk, true about the teachers, like I said skeptics do make others think the other way too and that comment did make me think
we are only learning at school from other peoples slant on things unless we are really lucky to have had a decent teacher.

or unless the teacher posts links to non profit websites that clearly and without any smoke and mirrors show you the truth

I reckon we are all skeptics in one form or another, but people like you are open about it and stick by what you say.

what I say changes with new evidence. thats called progress, there can be no progress if you are proven to be completely and utterly wrong on something, you have to go back to square one and start again
A friend of mine who is a famous author once told me "I don't have beliefs, I have opinions,". thats the wisest thing anyone has ever said to me and I try to live by that

For me, well tomorrow is always gonna be better than yesterday, that way of thinking helps me keep smiling.

yes for you ze var is over

Skepticism for you and Optimism for me

thats unfair, I'm an optomistic sceptic

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
""A friend of mine who is a famous author once told me "I don't have beliefs, I have opinions,". ""

I guess that about sums up everyone in the world, the same comment can be said about "opinions and ars**oles, we all have one lol.

Stay happy

Wolfie

(damn I wish I knew how to do the fancy quote thing)

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Skeptics are here for various reasons, none of which I can comment about but myself (I consider Marduk and Byrd two of the best sources of quality information on this board along with a few others of course). I've been called a dis-info agent, a skeptic, a Pharmaceutical Rep, and even been accused of working for the DEA
...so I know exactly why so-called "skeptics" visit this board.

There have been many times where I have posted to a thread because the posts not only were missing vital information that can contribute to the overall quality of the post, but sometimes the information is just totally WRONG. I say "wrong" because either said information has not been properly tested and confirmed by independent research, or the research done shows the complete contrary to what the person posts. If someone can present information from un-biased sources against my counterpoint and argue their point intelligently then I see it as good discourse.

All to often, however, there are people that haven't done the research for themselves and trust dubious websites as their source of information, or just completely go off the deep end with their ideas. Having an idea or hypothesis about an issue is one thing, but completely negating the basic methods behind the scientific method is quite another.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

""A friend of mine who is a famous author once told me "I don't have beliefs, I have opinions,". ""

I guess that about sums up everyone in the world, the same comment can be said about "opinions and ars**oles, we all have one lol.

well no not really
beliefs are based on the imagination e.g. I believe in Jesus
opinions are based on the evidence e.g. My opinion is that Jesus was a human being

(damn I wish I knew how to do the fancy quote thing)

if you look top right of the post you want to quote from you'll see a button marked "quote"

as long as you have a box with a start quote [ quote ] before the text you want to copy and an end quote after it [ / quote] it should always work fine
it is my opinion you should be able to figure it out
i really believe that

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
i appreciate all the feed back

just like to know what makes you guys tick

an observation i made, alot of skeptics like to call those they think have way 2 open minds conspiracy theorists and i understand the argument and its basically labeling someone that they think believe's "everything is a conspiracy". at least that is why i would hope someone would label someone that and not based on just believing a couple.

now if there are people who seem to believe everything is a conspiracy, without really doing much research (whatever research doesn't matter as much as there intent to look at all sides of the argument) on there own because say maybe* they found out something mainstream they believed in was a lie and they abstracted that everything mainstream is a lie* THEN

1. would u think that SOME skeptics may follow the same flawed logic. i.e * well i went out on a limb and developed a belief in Reptilians only thru reading more to be convinced this was a hoax, and i was so upset, and they abstracted that conspiracy's are all made up hoax's* based mainly on this example and don't deserve the time of day, just like the 2 open minded CT'er in the above paragraph?

and lastly i would like to ask again To the skeptics

2. would u agree that there are things that if real (even though they seem almost unbelievable to you) would need to be kept on a need to know basis by the Military, the Intelligence Agency, and other 3 letter oragnizations and that by asking for proof of these things in any or the "peer-reviewed journals" or scientific circles you deem trustworthy that you know you are asking for things that even if REAL would not be told to the public, (for whatever reasons) wether to maintain there POWER and MONEY or just because it may be there own beleif that it is for the betterment of society and to make them feel safe. (and would not tell people unless the situation was out of hand and imminent) and that these 3 letter groups are alligned with the politicans and the financial centers that may own and influence what is read and published for the people's own good, and thus have the authority and powers granted to them to surpess and ridicule anyone trying to tip off the masses to things that have been decided to be "issues of national security"

for alot of people i think it just doesn't feel that great to acknowledge that we really don't know much, we think we know alot, we like to believe we do( it makes us feel better, smarter), and in reality some things like personal beliefs that we hold about ourselves (about whatever you may fancy in life) can be sculpted and shaped in ways to help create our own reality. but when it comes to things mainly outside our influence we may know deep down we really dont know but like personal beleifs we hold about ourselves like to convince ourselves we know things because it makes us feel more secure. does this make a lil sense?

again i think being skeptical is very necessary espeically with all the disinfo out there but openminded as well, and i bet that any truth movement could benefit alot by getting more open to understanding all sides and to get those who

1 believe everything to realize just because the gov't may have lied about something doe not mean everything is a lie and to do more research from all angles and

2. for skeptics to ask themselves may i wrongly dismiss and never give "alternative perspectives a chance" because i once went out on a limb and believed this far out idea later to come to the conclusion this particular idea was false.

peace

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

I think it's more like a bunch of people who came here searching for truth, discovered the truth the hard way having fallen for various ideas, theories etc along the way, which proved to be based on misinformation, misinterpretation or deliberate avoidance of the facts, and now spend their time helping newcomers to avoid falling for the same nonsense

Isn'nt this site about finding the truthe for yourself?not the truthe other poeple want you to believe..and some poeple do take it way to far to the point they seem to have their own agenda.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Healthy skepticism is certainly warranted, but being stubborn and rejecting everything other than the official story doesn't help.

Hmm, I suppose it must be mentioned that: An inquisitive and open mind is one thing, but spouting a mindset which borders on delusion is quite another.

Both the die-hard skeptic and the adamant believer offer one thing to the discussions in which they attempt to participate (or scream over): ignorance.

The die-hard skeptic offers ignorance as a result of a refusal to see something in another light. The adamant believer offers ignorance by the very same means. Both parties bog down the conversation; the only difference is how loud they yell.

The curious minded individual who likes to research, analyze and come to informed opinions are both 'skeptics' and 'believers'. Each side has its off-the-wall participants as well as a number of well informed and sound minded individuals.

The conclusion may be different, but the journey is quite analogous.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
Isn'nt this site about finding the truthe for yourself?not the truthe other poeple want you to believe..and some poeple do take it way to far to the point they seem to have their own agenda.

The purpose of this site, as I understand it, is to deny ignorance.

This 'truth' should not be found on our own, can not be found on our own. Rather, we should be lending a hand to those who are willing to take it; to those who started this 'journey' later than ourselves. We should be offering a point of view, not a required mindset.

These helping hands are plentiful and should be taken with care and a sound judgment. Not all, and perhaps few, of these hands offer what it is you need.

When we allow ourselves to go it alone, we set ourselves up for ‘tunnel vision’. We become fixated on one conclusion and damn all that speaks to the contrary. We should not attempt to find our truths alone, lest we be content to wander alone in the dark.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
There are many disinfo-sters amongst the skeptics, and a few less amongst the believers, but the best deceiver is a skeptic who appears to believe.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by Hawk Eye]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Why skeptics join is really not the issue.

What should be at issue is the effect of having skeptics among us.

Avoiding "Groupthink" is a pretty good reason to entertain the skeptics, even when we find them annoying or, perhaps, especially when we find them annoying.

Groupthink is a type of thought exhibited by group members who try to minimize conflict and reach consensus without critically testing, analyzing, and evaluating ideas. During Groupthink, members of the group avoid promoting viewpoints outside the comfort zone of consensus thinking. A variety of motives for this may exist such as a desire to avoid being seen as foolish, or a desire to avoid embarrassing or angering other members of the group. Groupthink may cause groups to make hasty, irrational decisions, where individual doubts are set aside, for fear of upsetting the group’s balance. The term is frequently used pejoratively, with hindsight.

en.wikipedia.org...

You might also consider the Asch Conformity Experiments and what they tell us about the willingness to believe, the ability to be controlled, and what we are willing to relinquish in ourselves in order to be accepted.

[edit on 2007/7/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I wasn't a skeptic on many topics until coming to ATS. After reading the absolute craziness that is posted here daily I don't believe anything anymore.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
is it just a bunch of people who came hear searching for truth and then overtime developed a "nothing to see here, move along" beleif?

I initially came here researching something that ended up being a hoax, and after seeing how the intelligent folks here took it apart, decided to stay. I would say that I have become more skeptical over the time I have spent here. Much of what I see referred to as being paranormal events can be readily explained by other things. I don’t even have the time to go after all the stuff on here that is easily disproved. With that said though, being a skeptic does not mean that someone has no interest or belief in the possibility of paranormal events happening. Personally I think there are many things which occur that are beyond the scope of our current understanding, it would be foolish to believe otherwise. With that said though, I also believe that those events are the exception and not the rule. They are much rarer then what is possibly listed on this forum on a daily basis, and much of what is presented here are misidentifications. Besides this there are many other areas of interest beyond the paranormal involved in ATS, one such area for me is that of prophecy.

Originally posted by cpdaman
and then try to enforce this on others by persuasion (oblivous to the unique perspective that certain information in any structured society will always be kept from the public ) and by knowing this these same posters demand "credible mainstream accepted media" proof of these very things which if real, would be classified and real national security issues. is it odd that none of these brilliant affluent debunkers see this angle?

Much of the skeptical stuff that I personally post is due to understanding based on jobs, and inside type information that I am aware of. The rule here is to post the truth, even if the other side does not like the truth, and that is what I attempt to do. The opposite end of that coin is that you have folks who link supporting facts back to sites that are just plain wrong, and even some that are scams. So if you will not accept credible links because they are under the control of the TPTB, and I will not accept links to sites which I know are blatantly wrong, then what is the happy medium? Many of the 911 and Chemtrail sites are very strong examples of the poor credibility sites often linked here as supporting evidence.

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Every time I think about one of these obsessive skeptics, I get the impression of a morbidly obese, extremely insecure nerd whose only real pleasure in life is to piss people off and tell them that they're wrong.

Actually, I think you’ll find that most folks who are skeptics, are those who are very logical, professional people. Many of whom have backgrounds in the sciences, and understand the process of looking at things without jumping to paranormal conclusions.

Originally posted by Marduk
as for being rude, on the whole we're not, but you too would get a little tired of peoples disbelief to your totally credible evidence if it was the 100th time in a row you had shown someone the copper tools that the egyptians used in their quarries to carve pyramid blocks and the egyptian murals of water buffalo teams dragging blocks to prove that they weren't cut out by laser and levitated to the construction site...

…or where the wings went and tail went on flight 77, that there is no such thing as chemtrails, that many paranormal events that happen while in bed are sleep disorders, and about 99% of black triangles are simply aircraft….
Agreed

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Why does these threads continue to pop up?
I know I shouldn't be ranting about this here, but why do certain people seem to believe that most, if not all, skeptics must be disinfo agents?
Yes, I'll admit I'm a bit of a hardcore skeptic when it comes to certain lurid claims. But doesn't every thread, no matter how bizarre or insane, need to show both sides of the story?
Are the debunkers of certain hoaxes (i.e the Protocols and Taxil hoax) 'disinfo agents'?
It's also quite funny looking at the 'open mind' hypocrisy abundant here:
You must be open minded while interpreting MY theories, but when it comes to YOUR theories I have express permission to debunk-to-the-extent-of-frothing-at-the-mouth-in-anger-at-your-'theory'
Also with the claims of 'Troll', how many bizarre threads, often advertising obscure products or websites, come out each month?
Anyway I believe that ATS needs both 'believers' and 'skeptics', or else we'll either become what the media portrays conspiracy theorists as (i.e paranoid, tin-at-wearing nutters), or will just become another 'disinfo site'. Nothing to see here. Move along now.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I don't believe that aliens have visited earth but I believe that life exists elsewhere in the universe, the odds are in life's favour when you consider that the universe is infinite and contains billions of planets.

Am I a sceptic or not?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines

The purpose of this site, as I understand it, is to deny ignorance.

This 'truth' should not be found on our own, can not be found on our own. Rather, we should be lending a hand to those who are willing to take it; to those who started this 'journey' later than ourselves. We should be offering a point of view, not a required mindset.

These helping hands are plentiful and should be taken with care and a sound judgment. Not all, and perhaps few, of these hands offer what it is you need.

When we allow ourselves to go it alone, we set ourselves up for ‘tunnel vision’. We become fixated on one conclusion and damn all that speaks to the contrary. We should not attempt to find our truths alone, lest we be content to wander alone in the dark.

You theory is in my opinion incorrect in a huge way.If your not smart enough to look at both sides of the arguement then that shows your own ignorance.One man can find the truthe,one man can find that smoking gun,one man can even determine our president.

Now do i believe that one man to find that smoking gun is here?not really but you never know..If no one man could find the truthe then there would be no discussion because no one man would talk...nothing would have ever been started no aliens no ufos no nwo none of it..untill on man said hey wtf is this and the word spread..there was not some global recognition of ufos aliens nwo instantly without someone first opening their mouth,,

So not underestimate the power of one man.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Truthfully, I don't really care about the so called religion known as "Skeptics". I just ignored them. And the same goes for the really nutty far out people who come up with insane theories. For example, the international Jewish conspiracy, Communist Conspiracy, Islamic terrorist consipracy, and don't forget Atlantis. I've been called a conspiracy theorist as well. Being a "Conspiracy Theorist" is a religion the same as "Skeptics". I like being called a "Conspiracy Theorist". I like how the term debunking is becoming more popular now because of 9/11. As long is there a alternative explaination of an incident, its stilll going to be questioned and finally ridiculed for being under the scope of skepticism. But its alright to be skeptic even when somebody is suggesting a theory however if there is evidence that backs up the claim, why is there skepticism? But going into validity of evidence, this is where skeptics go insane. They will spend all day trying to disprove a theory so much they give more credence to the theory. Its like 9/11 even though there were intelligence reports and threats by Al Queada, I still see on ATS boards, skeptics state that these Hijackers came out of nowhere and attacked us or they pull out the incompetent card for the intelligence community that they couldn't connect the dots. But everybody has an opinion, I understand this, Its what makes freedom of speech possible. Jesus, the hardcore skeptics are just getting bad as the extreme right wing conspiracy theorist.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

You theory is in my opinion incorrect in a huge way.If your not smart enough to look at both sides of the arguement then that shows your own ignorance.

You can see both sides when you are by yourself. However, others are more versed in areas that one man may not be. The sharing and branching of knowledge is something that no man can escape...or should escape.

If no one man could find the truthe then there would be no discussion because no one man would talk...nothing would have ever been started no aliens no ufos no nwo none of it..untill on man said hey wtf is this and the word spread..there was not some global recognition of ufos aliens nwo instantly without someone first opening their mouth,,

...Opened there mouth and began the discussion and sharing of knowledge between many men.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join