It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taser goes wireless

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
all I know is that that guy needs to get the sights adjusted on his shot gun. that round is doing what 2,000 MOA groupings. I know it's CGI but damn they should at least have pride in their product and merchandise it better by at least having the round leave the barrel of the gun in the depiction in a straight trajectory. OK rant done.

Sure looks like the sticky shocker from Splinter Cell but smaller. I question how much juice the thing can hold it's so small. I guess plenty if it's about to be field tested. The prongs on that thing look huge though. would suck to be hit by one even if it weren't active.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Truth be told, I was envisioning something more the heft of a door-breaching round, but apparently it's about half that in full dress.

What's the stats on "accidental" tasing to the genitals and face at present?

Now, imagine that instead of little barbs, they can poke your eye out with a 12ga electro-slug. Or bury a round in your crotch. It adds a bit of extra weight to the punitive side of the equation.

Not sure this is a big improvement.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm getting one of them Thor Shield faraday cage like clothing. Nobody's tasering me. Imagin the shock of the assailent when he tries to stun gun me and I just laugh it off. Then I'll start talking in tounges and pretend that I'm some supernatural being and really scare the crap out of him. maybe chase mr mugger around as he runs terrified from the man who is impervious to electricity.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Your suit won't help unless it also stops the blunt impact - XREP is described as having a punch similar to a beanbag round.

And as you may know, nonlthal wepaons are always backed by lethal force as a matter of policy. If the Taser doesn't take you down, they'll try 5.56mm.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well I'm talking about defending oneself against abusive cops, random muggers and those sorts. A mylar laced windbreaker ain't going to do nadda against a 5.56.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

Your suit won't help unless it also stops the blunt impact - XREP is described as having a punch similar to a beanbag round.

And as you may know, nonlthal wepaons are always backed by lethal force as a matter of policy. If the Taser doesn't take you down, they'll try 5.56mm.

Will the police still include taking a shot from one of these as part of the training, like they do presently with the Taser?

Hey, Wembley, sort of on topic, have you ever run across mention of the pulse-on-T-wave "stimulator"?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
hey Tom,

From my quick search I couldn't find anything on a Pulse T wave simulator. What is it, and whats it do?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Does anyone know if this device is responsible for the recent bullish surge in the stock price of TASR?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
T-wave...the pulses sent out by Tasers -

"the AIR TASER sends a series of discreet electrical impulses (called TASER Waves™ or T-waves) quite similar to those used by the human body for communication. The AIR TASER’s T-Wave output overpowers the normal electrical signals within the nerve fibers. Very similar to "Radar Jamming," the nerve communications "blips" are washed out in a sea of "white noise" created by the T-Wave electrical impulses. The human target loses control of the neuromuscular system and cannot perform coordinated action. "

www.securityplanet.com...

[edit on 11-7-2007 by Wembley]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

T-wave...the pulses sent out by Tasers -

Interesting...I didn't know that one.

No, I was talking about the fabled 'cardiac in a box'.

If you have a nice connection across the guy's chest you can pick up the electrical activity from 3 or 4 pulses to get your timing down, and spot the phase in the beat called the "T wave", when the ventricles are repolarizing. There's a 15ms window near the peak of the T wave where you can toss out a few pulses and semi-permanently disrupt the heart's electrical activity. (thus "pulse-on-T-wave")

It only takes a few dozen Joules, although the waveforms are picky, so you can make the apparatus fairly small.

The recipient goes into pulseless V tach or V fib, and if you don't have a defibrillator to cardiovert them within a minute or so, it's hearts and flowers. Looks just like a heart attack after the fact.

Unfortunately you need a metallic connection to pick out the EKG, it's only a few dozen microvolts. Which precludes using barbs like a Taser, alas.

See also: commotio cordis.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam.
It only takes a few dozen Joules, although the waveforms are picky, so you can make the apparatus fairly small.

The recipient goes into pulseless V tach or V fib, and if you don't have a defibrillator to cardiovert them within a minute or so, it's hearts and flowers. Looks just like a heart attack after the fact.

This is theoretically possible by causing a direct blunt-force impact to the centre of the chest at this exact moment. The precordial thump that goes in and out of fashion in CPR delivers approx 30 Joules of power to the heart if delivered correcly. If delivered at the wrong time it can caus VF. The chances of this happening are, in reality, very slim.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
This is theoretically possible by causing a direct blunt-force impact to the centre of the chest at this exact moment. The precordial thump that goes in and out of fashion in CPR delivers approx 30 Joules of power to the heart if delivered correcly. If delivered at the wrong time it can caus VF. The chances of this happening are, in reality, very slim.

Commotio is by definition caused by mechanical force.

However, you can do the same thing electrically almost every time. You do, however, have to get the timing exactly right, and the waveforms are very critical.

The end result is to fire a random collection of ventricular fibers that are in their relative refractory period. If you fire too many (too late or too much energy), then they will overdrive the remainder and the heart will re-sync itself after a few PVC's. If you do it too early, then you won't get a large enough recruitment of fibers because too many are still too refractory, and they'll resync in a few beats.

But if you do it just right, then you set up a lot of extraneous ventricular pacing foci that won't entrain with the normal input from the Purkinje fibers, and the erratic nature of the firing leads to a totally uncoordinated ventricular rhythm which doesn't move any blood. The reduction in cardiac oxygenation makes the ventricular fibers even more irritable, and away it goes.

On the EKG it looks a bit like torsades at first, but then it degenerates into Vfib.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
These are the "nasty" culprits I think everyone is talking about:

Articles from "Taser.com"........

The Taser "XRep"

The Taser "Shockwave"

The Taser "iRobot"

By the way, has anyone considered just how "big brother" their logo is? Their internal motto is probably "Shock the World"!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Sign now the official petition to Ban Tasers at petitions.number10.gov.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join