It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Custom title and background image

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Hi, I was just wondering if it costs points every time you want to change your custom background image and title on your profile.

Or do you just 'buy' the facility once and then you can change it whenever you like for free?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I think it costs points every time you change your background image. 10k points.

And if it doesn't I'm gonna go take a long walk on a short pier.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
10k everytime you wanna change the image?? it doesnt even cost that much initially, can someone clarify this?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Huh. You're right. I'm pretty sure it used to cost 10k, anyway.
Or not.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Backround images cost 2,500 points, and you have to pay 2,500 points every time you want to switch your backround image.

Custom titles cost 500 and 750 points, and you have to pay that every time you want to switch them as well.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Background images have to be uploaded to ATS as well I think, so unless your upload space is empty, it will cost more than 2,500.

Custom titles seem a lot cheaper, mainly because I never know what to put on them, and so I hardly ever change them.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by apex]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
thanks for all the info, as you can see Ive got just over 6000 combined points and I was just contemplating on whether to go into R.A.T.S. or jazzing up my profile.... I need to think carefully about what I wanna put up there because I wont be able to afford changing it back haha

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'd go with the profile first mate. Get some nice colours, a snazzy avvy, and whatever else. I set my custom title years ago and havent touched it since. Same with the avatar, apart from the size crackdown of a few months ago.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Custom mini-profile background image if I choose this option does the image tile within the area or is it static?

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it will tile if too small.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Custom mini-profile background image if I choose this option does the image tile within the area or is it static?

In order for it not to tile, make sure it is 164 pixels wide, or a bit more. (it will auto size to fit the width of the profile area, if it is wider)

Also in regards to the length, I would say 600 pixels tall would be good( but I have seen them much longer, also). It would only tile for long posts that way. AND - - make sure that the filesize does not exceed the 50kb limit for background images, and is in a format supported in the upload area (.jpg and .gif are okay, all others are not supported in the upload area).

Also, keep in mind where your username and "Member" status line is at. You don't want to obscure either of those, as it may cause problems. (and would be technically in violation of the T&Cs)

Also, it is a good idea to place a transparent (clear) avatar on top of the Background image, to be able for more of the background image to show.

Last but not least, plan the background image carefully, in regards to the pointers I have given above. And be sure it is an image you would'nt mind keeping for a while. (It would be a real bummer to have a background image that for one reason or another needs to be changed right away - from experience)

If in doubt, just ask any of the members that currently have a background image, for advice. Or even some of the avatar artists (like myself
)

edit for clarity.

[edit on 7/16/07 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses guys my thought was to use a smaller image that would tile in the profile area. so that I would have a background pattern as opposed to a background color.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Okay, in that case planning is also essential, in regards to the colors used.

The upside is, you can always change your text color, if there is a conflict.

And just so you know, the normal width of the profile area is 164 pixels, so you might want to make sure that the small image that you use divides evenly (from 164), so as not to look off center.

edit to add --- another tip

What you could do - to make sure the background appears centered - is to create A larger image by tiling the small image manually, into a full sized background image. It will still tile at the bottom, so there will still be continuity for the extremely long posts.

[edit on 7/16/07 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yep Yep now I just have the proper image and make sure I size it correctly

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Sounds good.

Now it appears all that is left is to get enough points, as it seems your total is around 2300 or there abouts. There are several respectable ways to earn points a bit faster than just posting and making replies.

Podcasting is one way, and there are some special events that have points rewards such as the numerous contests/competitions that have appeared from time to time.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I inserted a Thanksgiving Custom mini-profile background image but now that Thanksgiving is over, I just want to remove that background -- the color is orange underneath that 'corn' image, so just want leave it that color for now.
I don't want to replace that tiled 'corn' graphic with another image... just want it to be the solid orange color that's under it.
In other words, is there a way to delete that background image without spending 2,500 pts to do that?
Thanks

[edit on 23-11-2007 by Palasheea]

top topics

join