It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposal to divide Iraq into regions for Shiites, Sunnis and Kurds getting Congress' attention

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If we did partition Iraq, we wouldn't see piece...I mean peace...in the region for another 30 years. During or after the Sunni purge, there might be a brew-up between turkey and the Kurds. the Iranians and the Saudis would see it to be in their own best interests to gobble up as much of Iraq as possible. The Saudis would eventually become border-to-border neighbors with Iran, and they'd mighty tempted to call for American support. If we don't come when they call, Iran wins.

I think this process will occur slow-er AFTER a U.S. withdrawl that does not result in partition. If we partition--even if we stay (which we can't), it would happen faster. I'll stand by what I said before. Like it or not, we will be back. Go now, or go later, we will be forced to come back and finish what we started.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I agree that if the coalition withdraws from Iraq any time soon at some point the US is going to have return and take military action because the area will have become an haven for terrorists. Iran has already won so to speak they are now the dominant player in the region and the US has failed to put an stop to Irans nuclear program.

Even if there were serious plans in the works to enlarge the US military in order to win the war in Iraq public opinion has ran out of patience when it comes to the war in Iraq.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
To be so naive that we should accept this or that in Iraq is crazy. There are vast CIA interests that we haven't even considered yet. WE PUT SADDAM IN POWER. WE KEPT HIM IN POWER. Now, if we would of supported a multi state proposal 30 yrs ago than where would we be now considering the explanation of "it would take 30 yrs to make this work".

The majority of our issues now in the Middle East have a direct correlation to the people who are in power and the administrations they have served for the last 30 yrs. If we impeach George Bush and Dick Cheney than we will be on the right track. If we keep, as a nation, a blind eye towards the real cause of this crises than we reap what we sow.

The US needs to be looked at as a nation of GOOD instead of a nation of SECRETS.

Lets face the facts, the current powers that be have been shaping our "National Interests" for ALONG TIME. It is time to change this regime and this includes the Clintons.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Hoochy, in the long run...you'll get your wish. It may not come about in the way you'd prefer, but I do think its coming. My guess is that within 8-14 years, a sitting U.S. President will take things too far...and...you may very well get your wish. I sincerely hope that things turn out differently.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
If we did partition Iraq, we wouldn't see piece...I mean peace...in the region for another 30 years.

You think it would be that quick? I don't think there will ever be peace in that whole region. there never really has been unless the area was subjugated by one empire or another and even then.

Once the oil is gone and we leave them alone, they will still be fighting. The difference? we wont need anything from them

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
*Justin puts on helmet and body armor*

I tend to look at thisp roblem as a clash of civilizations. Yes, they're fighting with each other and that's their choice. When we go back, the Western powers will "reformat" that part of the world by knocking off the old regimes and installing new governments that they can at least tolerate. Will they still fight with each other? Yes, but there will be just one important difference. they will just as tamed as the Western powers want them to be.

I am not 'for' this kindo f nation-rebuilding, but I do know that it has happened before. The Romans were good at it until they got sloppy.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
*Justin puts on helmet and body armor*

I tend to look at thisp roblem as a clash of civilizations. Yes, they're fighting with each other and that's their choice. When we go back, the Western powers will "reformat" that part of the world by knocking off the old regimes and installing new governments

You can wear your armor as long as I can get into my asbestos suit

Our track record to date has been pretty piss poor in that region. One only has to look as far as Operation Ajax where the CIA supplanted a democraticaly elected Mossadeq at the behest of the British and put the Shah in his place. Even if you cleaned house so to speak, what to prevent repeated occurances like the Iranian revolution from usetting the apple cart?

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think the World needs to quit with the rhetoric of this part of the world is not able to Govern itself. I think our involvement over the last 50 years is the direct cause of these certain nations not being able to Govern themselves. This is a very complex issue but I still think that most if not all of the distrust that comes from nations to the US and Russia is because of our Cold War spying and CIA/KGB fighting that went on since the end of WW2.

We need to step back from ourselves, this includes Russia as well, and take care of our own issues and if we have enough resources we need to help the nations and continents we have destroyed because of our actions.

If the main reason is the proliferation of Nuclear Warheads and other WMD's getting into the hands of so called rogue nations, than we as a World needs to come together in this aspect to get rid of EVERY nuclear bomb and EVERY WMD that exists. Than, since we already have a Nuclear Watchdog agency in place, we let this organization do there job with oversight to make sure we all are following the rules.

This is the first step to make other nations FEEL that they have control over there own land, there own culture, and there own country.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
I think the World needs to quit with the rhetoric of this part of the world is not able to Govern itself.

Oil, oil, natural gas, and more oil. That is the crux of things. That why we are so involved. If we can sell weapons systems to countries with the money they make from the oil then its even better.

Edit: I do realize that this is a simplistic view of things, but no matter how you get down to it, it always comes back to oil

[edit on 7/8/07 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Asbestos suit? I didn't see that in the catalog.

It's true that WE have been meddling with THEM far longer than they've had any real capability to resist. In the same way that nations clash, so too do civilizations. Once upon a time, Europe and the Americas were very violent places. "We" resolved our conflicts first in that one side finaly whopped the other. The folks in M.E. haven't yet reached that stage in their civil evolution.

There's a temptation here to look at this stuff through racist eyes. Nothing could be further from the truth. Civilizations clash all the time, Some win, and some lose. Western "superiority" has nothing to do with the blood in our veins. It has everything to do with our commerce and the pace of our social and technical developments. We were faster, and they were slower.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join