It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's new ballistic missile submarine spotted on Google map.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
www.worldtribune.com...

One photo is of what is apparently the new Type 094 Jin-class SSBN at the Xiaopingdao base near Dalian, FAS reported.

The Jin-class is about 35 feet longer than the Xia-class SSBN, "primarily due to an extended mid-section of approximately 115 feet (35 meters) that houses the missile launch tubes and part of the reactor compartment," according to the report.
The extended section is to make room for the larger Julang-2 ballistic missile and may also be due to the size of the reactor.

In late 2006, the U.S. Office of Naval Intelligence projected China could build five Jin-class SSBNs. The estimate was not cited by the Pentagon's May 2007 annual report on China military power.

I'm interested in seeing what new capabilities it has. I'll admit I don't know much about its predecessor. Not to mention only few pics of that submarine. Lets see if we can get close shots of this boat.

Added another link.
www.fas.org...

[edit on 5-7-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
this boat looks like a copy of our olde Polaris type boomers back when they had 16 tubes on them. I mean the early models. First generation.

I have some problems with the pictures. First off they show a boat tied up to a concrete pier. a very large concrete pier. THe obvious problem with it to me is that there does not appear to be any facilities at this pier.

I dont see any cranes. Any facilities for nuclear waste disposal..tanks on the side of the pier in which processed reactor grade water or waste is pumped into. Other wise this waste is pumped into tanks on the boat or overboard. Nuclear ships require special facilities very different from conventional ships.

Are there any electrical facilities on this pier...potable water. Sewage?? It is instinctual for me to seek out these types of hook ups on a pier.
I have worked the job of loading the missles on a US Navy boomer. Also the concrete ballast cans. I know what type of facilities are necessary for this job.

I dont even see a pierside porta potty?? Do any of you?? Think about this!

This submarine appears to be tied up on this pier for only a short time. THis hints that the Chinese want it to be seen.

This boat also seems to be sitting next to the pier in a condition very high on the waterline. NOt deeply submerged as in a boat loaded out and ready for sea. This is the first thing I noticed..the waterline.

To my limited knowlege a boat like this if you have empty missle tubes you cannot submerge the boat..unless you flood the missle tubes or carry ballast cans in place of missles or carry the actual missles in the tubes. Empty missle tubes are just to bouyant on the boat. It makes them ride high when the tubes are empty. This also gives one somewhat of an idea of the weight of these missles.

THen again..if you had missles on a boat like this would you leave it sitting on the side of a pier with no obvious security around it. We dont...you can bet on that.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Yes it is obvious they wanted the world to see that they have the capabillity to make these toys.

BTW it is only 35 Meters long!!!
That is a small boomer right there man! man this thing can fit 5 (!!) times in length inside an Akula (Typhoon) class boomer!!

Calc: 175 M : 35 M = 5.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This is blatantly China's way of letting the world see its new toy. Would like to see some more info on it, got this from Wiki:

The Type 094 (NATO reporting name: Jin-class; Chinese: 晋级潜艇) is a new class of ballistic missile submarine being developed by the People's Liberation Army Navy.

The first-of-class has reportedly been under construction at Huludao Shipyard in Huludao, Liaoning Province since 1999 and was launched in July 2004.

This submarine is capable of carrying 16 of the more modern JL-2s with a range of approximately 8000 km, and is capable of targeting much of the United States, some of it from close to the Chinese coast.

The Type 094 will Incorporate a great deal of Russian technology and will replace the Type 092 submarine (Department of Defense designation: Xia class) for the People's Liberation Army.

Five more Type 094 are projected by the People's Liberation Army Navy.[1]

The United States government has expressed concern over these subs, saying that the Chinese government has not be transparent enough about the program.[1]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
James -

The mid section is approx: 35 meters longer than its predecessor.

The sub isn't 35 meters - what use would that be ?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Oopsy!! Sorry for the mistake

According to wikipedia it is 133 Meters long.

Sorry i didnt done enough research. My fault.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
How effective is a missile defence screen against these missiles? China is gearing up for something. There's only so many people you can fit in a country. They've tried population control laws, they haven't worked. If you ask the average Chinese what they know about Australia you'll get an answer like "a huge country with not many people in it". Gulp. *strokes crocodile knife*

new topics

top topics

join