It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Video] Police acting like gangs in New York

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Watch this video of cops roughly treating childern/young teens for skateboarding. Not selling drugs, not vandalizing, not stealing, but for excercising.

This is a GROWN MAN acting tough towards juveniles.

Cops vs. Skaters

Angry yet? No human is above another human.

[edit on 7/6/2007 by Spoodily]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by geemony

Originally posted by section8citizen

I once bought a car, after two days I was pulled over, yanked out of my car and detained for several hours while I answered all kinds of questions. Why was I pulled over? Cause I had a paper tag from the car lot.

Was the tag expired? Was the car previously used in a crime?

I once got yelled at by some girls in a parking lot. I told them both off and went inside the store. Came back out, left and went about my day. 2 weeks later I was arrested for "assaulting" one of the girls. It came out in court that the girl had her fiend punch her in the face to give her a black eye so she could say I did it. Do you think they did anything because the girl filed a false police report? No. Do you think anyone cared that I spent $3000 on legal fees for a crime I did not commit? Nope.

Is that the cops fault? no its the girls fault. and its your fault as well for allowing yourself to be put in that position.

Now I have changed my comments and the cops should have been more calm but the situation was one of a jacked up police officer and a guy who was inflamming the situation with his mouth.

When will it be time for people in this country to accept responsibility for thier actions? cops and public alike.

No the tag was not expired. I had just bought the car. It was 7 days old and had a 45 day temp tag which you must pay for through the dealership in order to drive it off the lot. Or you can go to the DMV yourself and get one, but it is easier to do it at the dealership. Either way I still had 38 days, by law, to get the permanent tag.

As far as the other situation, I disagree. Yes it is the cops fault for not investigating the situation properly. How can a person file a police report for assault 5 days afterwards? At that point you would really need to look into it. This situation also took place in Wichita Kansas, at 3:30pm in the parking lot of a very busy Supermarket who also had cameras located in the parking lot. They couldn't get the cameras? They couldn't find any witness's? This parking lot was full of people. Besides that, ANYONE who has EVER lived in Wichita, KS can attest to this one statement... If a man hits a women in a public place, others would intervene. You MIGHT have a few who act like "its not my business" however the majority would jump in it faster than you could blink. Besides that, keep in mind this is a very busy store, the parking lot was full of people but they had no witness's?

As far as it being my fault for "putting myself in that situation" again I disagree. I have every right to go to a Supermarket to get food. So how did I "put myself in that situation"? Two females walked up on me cussing at me cause they thought I was "talking sh*t" about their grandmother. I told them off and kept on walking right into the store. Had I stayed to argue, then yes I put myself in that situation. I said added my 2 cents as I kept on walking into the store. Outside of letting these people belittle me until they were done, there is not much more I could have done to avoid further conflict.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
Wow, i can't belive 80% of the posts above, what do you want, you want no cops at all. You see 1 min of some edited video and you jump to all these conclusions. You don't know one thing about the situation, i highly doubt 50 cops showed up randomly at one intersection in the middle of the night. The civilian was cursing and not listening to the order of an officer. That being said, this can a video clearly warrents an investigation for legal action againts the "DO IT" officer.

We don't know if the officers attempted to ask the man to leave civily before the shove match ensued.

What was mabye more sick then the shiving was the other 50 officers that idled by, soaking up every moment of it and not stepping in to contain the situation.

This was a person out to make a fuss over something, a trouble maker you might say, i suprisesd the "Reverands of Justice" haven't jumped on this...

Well said my friend. We cannot assume that we know the circumstances at all here. However, what is happening more and more in the state of NY is exactly what you just witnessed on this video. If you pull a camera out and run up to record police activity (your supposed rights as a citizen of this once great country) you then get pushed and shoved and violently confronted. If you watch the beginning of the video, once he approaches what is obviously a nasty police scene (again, no idea of what is going on) you will notice one of the officers has a person on the ground and is kicking the crap out of them while yelling down at them. That's what the officers obviously did not want on video. That's why two, not just the plain clothes cop but the black cop as well, got in the faces of the person recording and his friend.

Was that called for? Honestly, I can't say. I wasn't there. However, when the officers start to shove and push and provoke these people I begin to see the end of a free nation. If the officers didn't approach these guys in a violent stance pushing and shoving from the start I would simply say, "it's a police matter and they are asking politely for people to clear out." That's not what happened. They saw the guy had a video camera and totally went off on these civilians. They violated their rights and should be brought up on charges of assault and quite possibly removed from duty. If you cannot control your anger then you should not be in the 'protect and serve' career.

With that said I have to go with the opposite of what you and 11Bravo have stated. We saw enough to know that what went on was wrong and a violation of the law. If we are to let things like this go by without punishment for those that are supposed to uphold the law then we have indeed begun our slide into a police state. Any person has the right to witness the actions of the people that are paid by them to serve and protect them. They have the right to record their actions so that the people that pay their salaries can in a way 'police the police'. That is not only our rights but our duty. It must be equality for all. No matter what the sorry sucker that was getting kicked over and over in the beginning did it is still our right to bear witness.

Once we allow the police to think of themselves as above the law we might as well start a revolution. Because once that happens we will no longer be the so-called country of the free (then again, I no longer think we are the country of the free so what does it matter right?)

This is a sad display of inhuman treatment of Americans perpetrated by those that are supposed to be serving them.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I do think it is a problem that we don't know the situation in this video.

I wonder how many people here have actually had a run in with the law?

I also wonder how many here call them when they need HELP?

Yes, some police officers are bullies, some are corrupt, some are killers,
en.wikipedia.org...

Do you have any idea what they see on a daily basis, rape, drugs, murder,
horrific car accidents, child abuse, domestic violence, omg the list goes on and on, and they have to try and stay "sane," it's no wonder they have violent tendencies after years on the street.

It is worse then being a soldier, this war goes on for their whole career.

There is no DOUBT we NEED them.

Walk a mile in their shoes.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spoodily
Watch this video of cops roughly treating childern/young teens for skateboarding. Not selling drugs, not vandalizing, not stealing, but for excercising.

This is a GROWN MAN acting tough towards juveniles.

Cops vs. Skaters

Angry yet? No human is above another human.

[edit on 7/6/2007 by Spoodily]

Yes, that one did bother me too.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
that skateboarding thing is nothing
look at this

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I do think it is a problem that we don't know the situation in this video.

I wonder how many people here have actually had a run in with the law?

I also wonder how many here call them when they need HELP?

Yes, some police officers are bullies, some are corrupt, some are killers,
en.wikipedia.org...

Do you have any idea what they see on a daily basis, rape, drugs, murder,
horrific car accidents, child abuse, domestic violence, omg the list goes on and on, and they have to try and stay "sane," it's no wonder they have violent tendencies after years on the street.

It is worse then being a soldier, this war goes on for their whole career.

There is no DOUBT we NEED them.

Walk a mile in their shoes.

I agree we do not know the situation of the video, however that does not excuse kicking a man who is on the ground and handcuffed. Police by law have the right to use force. If the man was "resisting" arrest and he got kicked, I would ignore it. However this man is on the ground and handcuffed. At that point he is a threat to no one. Kicking him at that moment was excessive force.

I did not mention the friend who had his head slammed into the wall for a reason. Watching this video, the friend was told to get back. He was pushed. However he kept moving forward. At that moment he was "obstructing justice". Now the camera man was also being pushed. What I saw in this video is him being shoved back. Not asked, but physically pushed back. The camera man goes back but stands his ground. He does NOT attempt to move forward, but he keeps being shoved. Thats not right.

I agree however, police see the worst of the worst day in and day out. Obviously seeing what they do on a daily basis will have mental and emotional effects. This does not excuse their behavior, but it does tend to show how these things could happen. Personally I think the screening process for officers should be tougher and better counseling services available to them to help them deal with what the things they see.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
look at this

www.youtube.com...

Those people are adults. The cop in the skateboarding video chokes a young girl and other children. He even threatened to spray them with pepper spray. They ran for safety away from the police officer.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
look at this

www.youtube.com...

That video does not bother me at all. You can hear an officer asking people to step back. You also hear him very politely explaining why they must step back. If anything what I see is a potentially riotous situation in which the police are vastly outnumbered. In watching that video I was more worried about the police than the people they are arresting. You can hear people in the crowd yelling, "Why are you choking him!?" which is getting others more riled up, the camera is on the guy being arrested and you can clearly see him NOT being choked.

edited for spelling

[edit on 6-7-2007 by section8citizen]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
section8citizen, I understand your point, I don't have any answers, we live in a violent world and it is going to get worse.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
A little follow up on the skateboarding issue

Hot Springs Police announce today, Officer Joseph Williams is on paid administrative leave, while an investigation is conducted into his actions during the arrests of six individuals. Police say on June 21, the group was skateboarding on the sidewalks, then fled when an officer tried to stop them. They face charges of resisting arrest, battery, and fleeing.

source

My thought: The cop should NOT have used the force he did and the other one that was there later SHOULD have calmed the first one down. In my eyes , it looks like a power trip, just like the first video posted.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
section8citizen, I understand your point, I don't have any answers, we live in a violent world and it is going to get worse.

I couldn't agree more. I just wanted to make the point that sometimes what we see in a video is not always as cut and dry as it would appear. I am in agreement with the majority in this thread. Police are corrupt, they use excessive force at times and I also do feel that we are moving closer and closer to a police state, however not at the doing of the police. What we see in these videos has been going on for quite some time. It is nothing new, although maybe getting worse. I also feel there are a number of factors for WHY such behavior happens. But what can you do? Scrap the whole police force and start over? I do not think that is realistic at all. The people do need the police, there are too many crazies, psychos and thugs out there. However we have to find a way to keep our officer mentally healthy. Seeing what they do day in and day out, it has to have unhealthy effect.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Here's a few ideas for you folks who seem to be afraid of cops:

1. Show some respect, they are human beings and have to deal with crappy situations every day.

2. Walk away. I've been around a few bad scenes in my day, and I've never been arrested. I walked away from an obviously deteriorating situation so I wouldn't get involved.

3. Do what they ask. I once had my car searched for drugs when I got stopped for making a right turn on red. I also happened to be a musician coming home from a club at three in the morning and I smelled of weed becuase some people in the club were smoking up. I wasn't drunk, stoned, or hiding anything, and had nothing to fear from a search. They searched my car, found nothing, they let me go, didn't even write up a ticket for my traffic violation, I said thanks and have a good night officer.

Simple common sense will keep you out of most of these situations. Not sure why this seems to be so hard for people to get through thier skulls.

Subsonic

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Why they order someone to move on anyway and on what authority? If a bystander is not physically on the way, or in physical danger what authority does a cop have to tell them to move along?

They do have the authority. If the situation calls for the area to be cleared, the cops can tell citizens to move, how do you know that the area wasn't a danger. In fact it did look pretty serious to me, there were dozens of cops and sirens going off. I think it would have been in the citizen's best interests to move along when they were told.

Imagine the situation was this: The reason there are so many cops around is because there has just been a raid on a suspected major terrorist ring base, the cops found one of the terrorists trying to get away and so restrained him. Now they don't know whether there are other terrorists around, whether there are guns on the people who are around or even if the place could be rigged.

Therefore it is the police's duty to clear the area, because citizens could be in danger.

Now, most people see that the police are trying to deal with a big situation and so they move out of the way and let the police do what they are trying to do. But you always get one tw*t who thinks he'll be rebellious and start shouting in a cop's face because he's trying to move him along, thus obstructing the officer's course of duty which could jeopardise the police's control over the whole situation and put people's lives at risk, all just so that this guy can get a bit of 'street cred'. What would you think if that was the case?

[edit on 6/7/2007 by malganis]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I still don't see why people are using this story of some guy in handcuffs getting beaten to a bloody pulp... you see a guy at the start get kicked once, and there's no way of telling if he's handcuffed or not because you can hardly even see him.

As for people who are sympathising with the black guy who got thrown into the door, and saying that he was just trying to walk away and they were abusing him; he was in the cop's face. He wasn't trying to get away at all, he was deliberately provoking a reaction from the cops so that he could have a bit of attention. In fact when we first see him cross the street, the cops are leaving him alone and just watching him walking away. But then he turns around and starts giving them a load of mouth and making stupid noises, so they start pushing him. If he would have kept walking away whilst they were just watching him he wouldn't have got pushed at all.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

However we have to find a way to keep our officer mentally healthy. Seeing what they do day in and day out, it has to have unhealthy effect.

Yes,

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
malganis, yes I thought he was provoking the situation, whatever that was LOL

[edit on 6-7-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by section8citizen
As far as it being my fault for "putting myself in that situation" again I disagree. I have every right to go to a Supermarket to get food. So how did I "put myself in that situation"? Two females walked up on me cussing at me cause they thought I was "talking sh*t" about their grandmother. I told them off and kept on walking right into the store. Had I stayed to argue, then yes I put myself in that situation. I said added my 2 cents as I kept on walking into the store. Outside of letting these people belittle me until they were done, there is not much more I could have done to avoid further conflict.

Hey section i understand s happens for sure. what i meant buy puuting yourself in that situation was by yelling back at them and getting into a verbal altercation you allowed yourself to be used. These girls prob had every intension of working you into some deal where they could make a phony report. I try and let people run thier jibs as long as they dont touch me, touch me and its go time, but words are nothing my friend just shows the ignorance of those who use tempers against others for financial or payback gain. Your better than they are, walk away with a smile......

Take care

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It's obvious other people are walking away, the police are not having a go at them, one guy doesn't walk away, the police have a go at him, so it is his own fault, if he was doing the same as the others then this thread would not have even started.
See trouble and walk away, my father taught me this all through my life, I am 46 and have not seen a police station inside and hopefully never will.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
I still don't see why people are using this story of some guy in handcuffs getting beaten to a bloody pulp... you see a guy at the start get kicked once, and there's no way of telling if he's handcuffed or not because you can hardly even see him.

As for people who are sympathising with the black guy who got thrown into the door, and saying that he was just trying to walk away and they were abusing him; he was in the cop's face. He wasn't trying to get away at all, he was deliberately provoking a reaction from the cops so that he could have a bit of attention. In fact when we first see him cross the street, the cops are leaving him alone and just watching him walking away. But then he turns around and starts giving them a load of mouth and making stupid noises, so they start pushing him. If he would have kept walking away whilst they were just watching him he wouldn't have got pushed at all.

This sucks, I took too long trying to do this the first time that the site "reset" and I lost my work lol!

Anyway I disagree about the guy getting kicked. At 3 secs in you can see his arm bent back in a position that would indicate he is handcuffed with his arms behind his back. At the very least he is lying in a prone position which would be consistent with the type of order you would be given if by an arresting officer. "Lie down with your hands behind your back"

I had broke down the rest of the video, but I am not about to start all over again..lol

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join