It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Video] Police acting like gangs in New York

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Yeah the cops are a bit pushy. But does anyone actually know why there were so many cops in the same place?

It looks to me like there had been a pretty serious situation and the cops were trying to deal with it and clear the area as quickly as they could, maybe even for the safety of the citizens.

I can understand why the cops would get p*ssed off when some guy just stands there with a camera and doesn't clear the area when he's told, it's like he thinks he's above the law or something.

But yeah they were a bit heavy handed, especially the black guy who pushes that other guy into the metal doors. But in all fairness, the guy who got pushed was really provoking him.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis

I can understand why the cops would get p*ssed off when some guy just stands there with a camera and doesn't clear the area when he's told, it's like he thinks he's above the law or something.

above the law?
and which law would this be?

It's his right to observe public servants doing their job, he broke no law.
he was unlawfully told to leave, and he crossed the street and they still were pushing him.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
If the situation was a danger to the public then the officers were right to ask the onlookers to move along. I don't see why people think it's 'cool' to disobey police officers these days.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I don't know much about US police, and police laws, but I have a couple of questions.

What was the situation that demanded this number of police.

Why were some people deliberately provoking them.

Why were there a lot of people around.

What was the location, and the original call for.

Until these questions are answered, I think I'll with hold judgement.
Some aspects seem a little heavy handed, but we have to know the context of the situation, instead of all this "I hate Pigs" rhetoric.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I have a couple of questions of my own.

1. Who is the person on the floor being kicked by the police officer?

2. Why is the black officer provoking the black guy with a type of ID around his neck to do something stupid, so he can arrest him?

3. What kind of ID is he wearing? A press credentials?

4. On what charge was this man arrested. Because of standing on the side walk?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
As usually, many here jump to conclusions without knowing the entire story. Seems to happen more and more on this site. It used to be that people here would actually research the video before making accusations and there would be a concerted effort to dig up the 'truth'. Hence the motto: DENY IGNORANCE

The fact that the video does not capture the entire situation and is edited to specifically show the NYC police in 'bad-light'.

I think this thread just shows who really hates any type of authority and would rather have the world be like the wild-west.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by ferretman2]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

But in all fairness, the guy who got pushed was really provoking him.

Are you for real?

God damn, if the police had the right to beat up people who are provoking them everybody would have their face bashed in.

Edit: removed censor circumvention.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   

If the situation was a danger to the public then the officers were right to ask the onlookers to move along. I don't see why people think it's 'cool' to disobey police officers these days.

ever heard of cop watch?
do a search on youtube to find out what cop watch is

do you think they do cop watch because they think it's cool???

And do we really need the whole story?
it would be great to have it yes

but regardless that cop had no right of pushing that guy
that guy crossed the street away from the area they told him to leave and still they were harrasing him

isn't that enough?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

but regardless that cop had no right of pushing that guy
that guy crossed the street away from the area they told him to leave and still they were harrasing him

He didn't cross the street to leave, he got pushed across the street by the cop. And even while he was being pushed he was still trying to walk into the cop whilst making stupid dog noises in his face. tbh I can't blame the cop for pushing him even more.

And still no one has answered the question of why there were so many cops in the same place. Did it cross your mind that this could have been a serious situation in which it was important to clear the area ASAP? And when you have idiots making stupid noises in your face just to try to seem rebellious while you're trying to do your job, how else can you get your message across to them? Because verbally telling him to leave the area obviously wasn't working and he was obstructing the officer's line of duty.

Also as other people have pointed out, this video has been edited to shed bad light on the cops. The editor conveniently doesn't let us see the context of the situation, so you can't just jump to the conclusion that the cops were going round in a gang beating innocent people up, no matter how 'street' you think you are.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by darksky

Are you for real?

God damn, if the police had the right to beat up people who are provoking them everybody would have their face bashed in.

Stupidest fkn comment i ever heard.

Stupidest fkn comment you ever heard?

Yeah that's probably because it's one of the only comments you ever heard, being here a week and all

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Are you for real?

Stupidest fkn comment i ever heard.

Stupidest fkn comment you ever heard?

Yeah that's probably because it's one of the only comments you ever heard, being here a week and all

Hoho, thats so funny.
You know, there is a world outside ats, maybe you should take a look at it.

Why dont you go out provoke an officer and taste some pain, i think that would make you change your opinion.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Hoho, thats so funny.

Why dont you go out provoke an officer and taste some pain, i think that would make you change your opinion.

Change which opinion exactly?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
the last two comments above the one that was above myne (he posted first
) lol were very inappropraite
dont make fun of somone because they are new... u were new once too...

back on subject... would really like to know the story behind this video... maybe that would help clarify some things... otherwise we dont know if it was a potentialy dangerous situation or not.. you know what i mean? (sorry for all the spelling errors)

[edit on 6-7-2007 by Sad Lil Alex]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
looks like a clip of whats to become accepted by law enforc. and they wonder why society looks at them like scum s*** in s*** out hmmmmmmmm. no one holds a gun to these peoples head saying u must become a police officer they pick the occupation and they have the choice of how to conduct themselves sadly most not all but most are not worthy to to be a rent a cop at the local mall.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Coming to a city near you. Why can police carry hollow tipped ammunition stateside, but troops in Iraq are not allowed to use it?......When they said 'To serve and protect' they didn't have you or I in mind.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Yeah and when I was new I didn't go round calling other members stupid.

And for the record, I DO think that police officers should be heavy handed if they have d***heads making ridiculous dog noises in their face to obstruct their course of duty, which is why I don't go around provoking the police. I'd rather let them get on with their jobs than try to act rebellious just for the sake of it.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Hoho, thats so funny.

And yeah, as some kind person wrote, saying im stupid (but in other words) just because im a new member really shows your lack of arguing skills.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Hoho, thats so funny.

Why would going out and deliberately getting beaten up by cops change my opinion on what the guy in this video was doing? He was provoking the policeman, me getting beaten up isn't going to change that!

And I wouldn't get beaten up by the police anyway because i'm not stupid enough to go up to an officer who is trying to control a stressful situation and start walking into him while making silly noises!

And yeah, as some kind person wrote, saying im stupid (but in other words) just because im a new member really shows your lack of arguing skills.

Where did I say you were stupid?

Actually if I remember correctly, YOU were the one that called ME stupid, so don't try and turn it around.

I said that you probably haven't read many posts, since you're a new member. Read the T&C and get used to the boards before thinking about insulting other members.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by YIAWETA
Why can police carry hollow tipped ammunition stateside, but troops in Iraq are not allowed to use it?......When they said 'To serve and protect' they didn't have you or I in mind.

Military ammunition is controlled by the Hague/Geneva Conventions and prohibits any ammunition that is designed to expand or fragment.

The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions.

www.yale.edu...

Civilian law enforcement has a concern about over penetration... Specifically the risk of a projectile entering and exiting the intended target and subsequently striking someone else (the old innocent bystander scenario). The other issue is that civilian law enforcement's principal weapon is a pistol and therefor has limited stopping power (there's no such thing as knockdown power in anything a single person can carry and fire) and this limited stopping power is enhanced with ammunition that deforms and dumps all it's ballistic energy in a target. The military is less concerned because their principal weapon is a long arm with much more power (foot pounds or newton metres... take your pick) per round, and the advantage of high capacity weapons and selective fire. There is also the issue of reliability... Military "ball" ammunition is less susceptible to damage under harsh conditions, and will feed more reliably.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding on your part.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Mirth, You're quoting from rulings that have been rendered 'quaint'. They were applicable through 2002 and ignored ever since.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join