It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Worrying Trend In Attitude

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
We all know about the constant stream of fake UFO footage lately here on ATS. A great deal of it is easily debunked because it's either truly awful CGI or out of focus lights, grainy film, an explainable object made to look like something it isn't etc etc.

I always approach these videos with an open and fair mind, i don't have an agenda when clicking on any of these linked videos and yet lately i've noticed something. Where as before i would be thinking of judging the video for what it is, i've started clicking on links with a slight bias and sense of dread. Thinking "here we go again".

I used to be completely open minded when viewing tapes and discovered some really interesting ones here on ATS. I fear we are being bombarded with so much rubbish that people other than me are also starting to get truly fed up. My worry is that we may dismiss something that may be decent evidence, we may get complacent.

I hope others here havn't started to get like me, clicking links with a slightly preset mind and opinion in place. If you have, then try to relax and remember that good footage is rare at best, when it turns up though it's all worth it.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
I hope others here havn't started to get like me, clicking links with a slightly preset mind and opinion in place. If you have, then try to relax and remember that good footage is rare at best, when it turns up though it's all worth it.

Interestingly, I'm hoping even more people begin to approach these things with a wary, skeptical attitude. In my opinion, that's the only way to rationally investigate these kinds of things. Rushing in, hoping that the latest photo or video will confirm your already held beliefs, does nothing but set you up as a sucker, ready to be hoodwinked.

Even if as a result of your own personal experience you have come to believe in the absolute certainty of alien UFOs, you should STILL approach each new claim with skepticism, since every new video, photo, or report may or may not have anything at all to do with your personal encounter or knowledge.

Consider, for instance, that some UFOs could be alien creatures from other planets, but other UFOs are absolutely not, and actually represent another phenomenon entirely, such as trans-dimensional manifestations of alternate realities, or tulpas, thought-generated morphic resonant constructs (physical, tangible objects created through an observer process). Or maybe some other kind of thing that we just aren't able to comprehend.

Regardless, hardened skepticism is the only way to go. Surrender to the Dark Side!

[edit on 5-7-2007 by SuicideVirus]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You missed my point, i used to be an open minded skeptic, now it's going the other way. Because of all the hoaxes i am not giving each video a fair review on merit. At least i started to do that and now i'm trying to be fair again.

Skeptics as you seem to describe them are going in with the belief, maybe certainty that whatever they see will simply not confirm structured flying craft other than normal planes.

Think i'll avoid the dark side and continue to be fair and logical, just wondering if anyone out there had also maybe begun to be a bit unfair because of all the hoaxes.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
On open mind doesn't mean you have to give every new thread the benefit of the doubt just because it's a new thread.

It means being open to new proof being presented and not rejecting it because it doesn't fit in the world-view you've built up so far.

key is the proof thing

if that is not necessary I can recommend quite a lot of SF writers, try Richard Morgan for starters.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
OP, I agree to some extent with your post. There is that impending feeling of seeing yet another product of a wanna be sfx artist when we click on the latest Youtube link, etc. but does it stop us clicking?

Not me.

I'm as hacked off as the next man/woman about all of the CGI offerings, yet will still seek out the latest thread promoting the latest footage. More times than not, they're immensley dissappointing and a waste of bandwidth. They don't, however, affect my belief system, and nor will they. I have faith that these attempts at continually trying to fool the general public will eventually fail, because I don't believe the public (apart from a small percentage) is that gullible.

But before that, what the hoaxers are managing to do, imo, is feeding the hardcore, unshakeable skeptics with material that "proves" UFOs, and related subjects, aren't real. With so much fake footage, what chance the real McCoy when it (hopefully) turns up?
With such a massive backlog of CGI, that ellusive, real piece of footage, and the photographer, will have their work well and truly cut out trying to prove their case. As far as we know, hoax videos may well have caused a witness to simply delete their photos or video of a real event because of fear of being called a fake.

new topics

top topics

join