It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager from rural Malawi builds a windwill out of scrap, to power his home! [PIC+story]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Im sorry about making you to read this jpeg Im looking to the News source for this newspaper:

Inspiring in my opinion

From the Daily times.

If this does not belong here my apologies ot the mods.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
what an excellent way to utilize resources by taking energy that is virtually free to create a better living environment.

I hope other people in his area catch on and try to do the same thing

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
great story, its amazing none of the adults tried soemthing like this before. Shows you the power of books & an inquisitive mind.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
score another one for the dropouts

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Manufacturers of equipment would have you believe that you need many thousands of dollars to have a windmill. Good thing this guy does not listen to them.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Projects like this (that work) are of great interest to social workers around the world. Here's someone who took discards and built a functional unit that improves his life. With equally simple materials, this same idea could be used to bring electricity to villages in remote areas.

Heck, this could be applied here in America to bring electricity to remote houses on the reservations (where living conditions are quite similar to those of that African village... more shame to us.)

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Only in Africa would someone doing something that has been done, and surpassed, 1000 years ago by everyone else be considered a "genius". This is like China shooting for the moon, congrats Chinese people by approaching something done and accomplished by, 40+ yr old American science, they must be genius's too. (Not picking on the Chinese, many countries are like this) I know Africa is behind, but let's stop pretending anyone there doing anything like this is a genius. I found a feather, and thought, maybe i could dip this in ink, something I recently discovered, and maybe, just maybe, I could use a form of "written" communication, my village found that they could now communicate long distances with it, and I have been hailed as the greatest thinker in my village. Genius is a word that gets used for way to many people.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This has got to be one of the most remarkable human ingenuity stories I have read all year! Bravo to the young boy who took matters into his own hands and improved the conditions of his life without the red tape or beaucracy that prohibits most poeple in westernized countries that require you to pay corporations to have the privelage of electricity.

[edit on 7-7-2007 by carnival_of_souls2047]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
hey ruggeder...i'd be willing to bet my next pay check, even with instructions, your not smart enough to build one of these and better life for you and your family. In a country that is WAY behind the power curve due to business that uses and abuses then steals their natural resources...he did a great job!

top topics

join