It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia is in Iraq for oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Australia is in Iraq for oil

news.bbc.co.uk

Australian Defence Minister Brendan Nelson has admitted that securing oil supplies is a key factor behind the presence of Australian troops in Iraq.

But PM John Howard has played down the comments, saying it was "stretching it a bit" to conclude that Australia's Iraq involvement was motivated by oil.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I wonder what his definition of "a bit" is?

While some of us might have know this to be true, it has never been admitted by any government official. In this case, it was Australia's Defence Minister.

Howard countered by saying it was a matter of providing democracy and stability to the region.

Why the dichotomy? On what grounds does Nelsons opinion differ from the P.M's?

Or, maybe, he meant securing the oil for Iraq herself? But for some reason i find that hard to beleive. Is the coalition that friendly to secure another countries oil without skimming off the top?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
From what i remember, GB Sr. admitted the first gulf war was about securing Oil interests. I believe it was in his book written with Brent Scowcroft. couldnt tell you what page though. So with this in mind, is it really such a surprise that policy makers considered this as another opportunity?

join