It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NOW Bush claims his authority to pardon Libby comes from the Constitution.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

Looks like this damned piece of paper is coming handy now???
Lookie Here

Which is it?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Yes the constitution is a piece of paper but hey, it serve its purpose and it's big enough to hide under when necessary.

Remember we need libby free, happy and set for life, after all he gave his reputation, life and persona for Cheney.

Bush " Where is that goddamned piece of paper?"

Aide, "Mr. president, we put in the toilet like you said"

Bush "darn, get it out of the toilet and clean it, I need the goddamned piece of paper now"

Aide, " OK, Mr. president, what you want me to do with it after you finish?"

Bush, "Just put it back in the toilet until I need it again, can not get rid of it, can not live without it."

[edit on 5-7-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Oh, Marg, you are a riot!!!

You're absolutely correct. Use it as toilet paper 'till further notice- there may be some use for it sometime!

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It sure as hell isn't your authority when you've rigged the past two elections in your favor...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The constitution was what made America, America.
Land of the Free, all equal...

That piece of paper is symbolic for your country, shred the piece of paper, and you shred the country you live in.

why are you letting him destroy your countries ethics?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
It looks like the story originates with Capitol Hill Blue, in a piece written in 2005.

Nice find, dgtempe.

Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall take the following oath or affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Article II, Section I of the U.S. Constitution

This is an oath Bush has made twice now to our nation.

If the story is true, what offense beyond his own words against the Constitution is necessary for his removal?

EDIT:

I just saw this interview of Jonathan Turley by Keith Olbermann.

He reminded me of Alberto Gonzales' memo.

I don't find the statement attributed to Bush in the OP hard to believe at all.

[edit on 5-7-2007 by loam]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I've never seen any reputable source that said Bush ever called the Constitution a "God damned piece of paper."

And yes, the Constitution does explicitly give the president the power to pardon, which the courts have always interpreted as including right to commute sentences as well.

[edit on 7/5/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
There were 3 witnesses, all of whom gave their names. What more proof do you want?
Not to mention that Doug Thompson, while I think he's a monumental SOB, is a credible source for information. He's an investigative journalist with all kinds of contacts in D.C., where he's worked for decades.
Bush is infamous in D.C. as a guy who is often given to horrible tirades while working with his staff.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I was wondering if Bush ever cleared those border patrol guards who were imprisoned?

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
^^^
Of course not, that would actually show guts and be in agreement with popular opinion. The man is a numskull, but far from the first to exercise his authority under the constitution. As far as him going into tirades, I am sure it is nothing compared to the former first lady and (God I hope not) the next President, Billary. Just check out these winners that the last traitor we had in office pardoned. Time to format the hard drive and reinstall a new system
www.usdoj.gov...

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Umm.... that 'Goddamn piece of paper' comment has been debunked and debunked and debunked already on this site.

It would be helpful if people actually searched the site before repeating the same asinine things again and again.

Plus part of the Presidents power is to Pardon anyone he wants, every President in modern history has had this 'power'. Also Libby did not get a full Pardon, just suspension of sentenance, Libby still has supervised release and a $250,000.00 fine to pay. (unlike Mark Rich)

[edit on 6-7-2007 by ferretman2]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
dgtempe,

Does it surprise you that Bush would pardon his crony so that either his VP or himself doesn't get in trouble? I was assuming it from the first time I heard the accusations against Libby.

Whether or not Bush has said the Constitution is a 'goddamn piece of paper' is irrelevant. His actions speak much louder than any of his prescripted words could.

I just wanted to make a point that he does not care what any previous Presidents have done. He will set a precedent to outdo all of their corruption and scandals.

[edit on 6-7-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

I just wanted to make a point that he does not care what any previous Presidents have done. He will set a precedent to outdo all of their corruption and scandals.

You mean your intention is to protray his actions that will make other previous administrations pale in comparison?

[edit on 6-7-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Deltaboy, I was referring to my post in bold. But sure, he will have done pretty much what you said as well

He is acting as a dictator now, King George Bush. Cheney is probably his loyal jester, giving him praises on the side and ordering him around possibly as well.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I must have missed the news flash...

Could someone please show me where President George Bush pardoned Lewis "Scooter" Libby?

Anyone?

I didn't think so.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I am sure he wishes they could just pull 911 two now and get all this over with, the sooner he is the dictator the better, in his mind.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
I must have missed the news flash...

Could someone please show me where President George Bush pardoned Lewis "Scooter" Libby?

Anyone?

I didn't think so.

Yeah like there is a big difference there

I saw old G dub just yesterday say a pardon wasnt off the table, so dont count your chickenhawks before they have hatched.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Ok so Georgie didn't pardon Libby, but he received a commutation.

From NY Times: www.nytimes.com...

WASHINGTON, July 2 — President Bush said today that he had used his power of clemency to commute the 30-month sentence for I. Lewis Libby Jr., the former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney, who was convicted of perjury in March and was due to begin serving his time within weeks.

The action, announced just hours after a federal appeals court denied Mr. Libby’s request to allow him to remain free while his case is on appeal, spares Mr. Libby his prison term, but it does not excuse him from stiff fines or probation.

In a statement issued early this evening announcing his decision, Mr. Bush said he had listened to both critics and defenders of Mr. Libby, who was convicted of four felony counts for lying during a C.I.A. leak investigation.

"He has been urged by some conservatives to grant Libby an outright pardon."

I guess they're afraid of going to jail too
. Makes you wonder what kind of scandals still lie under the table.

Mod Edit: Reduced External Quote.

[edit on 6/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Yeah like there is a big difference there

I saw old G dub just yesterday say a pardon wasnt off the table, so dont count your chickenhawks before they have hatched.

More than a difference... It's a chasm. A commuted sentence means scooter doesn't go to jail, but still pays his fine ($250,000) and is a convicted felon who will have to report to a parole officer.

A pardon... Well you're walking on the sunny side of the street... Slate is wiped clean and you can go back to life as it was. Think Marc Rich (who was interestingly enough, represented by Scooter Libby
).

For those still struggling with the nuances:

www.legal-explanations.com...

www.legal-explanations.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
So the fact that Libby wasn't pardoned and that President Bush never said 'Goddamn piece of paper' shows:

1. That this is just a 'hate' thread to bash President Bush
2. People are incapable of acutally doing research
3. There are a large amount of uneducated people on this board

(my guess is all three)

Since this thread has no value what-so-ever and was started on lies/false facts which were made-up/repeated by the OP this thread should be closed as well as a warning given to the OP.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join