It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Contractors Now Outnumber US Military In Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

~182,000 Private military contractors (118,000 Iraqi, 43,000 Other, 21,000 US)

From the wikipedia source. Granted it doesn't give numbers like your post, but I do believe something fishy is going on in Iraq.

Anyone up for a M.E. vacation?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Those contractors include logistical support personnel, this includes dishwashers, janitors, the whole schabang. Iraqis, who provide security at oil production facilities are included in this bumber. Read the section on this page titles 'Scope of PMC's in Iraq.'

PMC's Iraq

Heres another article from the LA Times which goes into more depth about who is contracted by these companies and what they do.

Private Contractors

Of course it raises concern about the reliability of these contractors to deliver on their tasks. Read the article and you'll see what I mean. This is something that raises my concerns, but doesn't apply across the board to all of them. Many of which are ex-military and still have a sense of duty to the men in the field. Many of those contracted are Iraqi's given jobs like sanitation, government advising, and other public services. I understand everyones concern, but to say this number represents an entire private army is an overreaction. As many are simply working as supply units or to provide basic public services.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
I don't see how this is any different from using contractors during the American Revolution? How is that making history?

I'm not talking about JUST the fact of the contractors. I said, "our current situation", which includes a lot more than JUST using contractors in a war.

It includes:

Going to war under false pretenses, against a sovereign nation
The government spying on and lying to US citizens
The president declaring himself exempt from the law
A $1 trillion trade deficit
"Secret" prisons
The complete and total disregard of the Constitution

Need I go on? I said, "Our current situation, with Americans having their .s in the sand, is like none that has come before. This administration is making history."

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Biggie and Benevolent are on to something here. Privatization. Xmotex brings up an interesting idea.

Traditionally the Republican Party has been associated with the interest of "big business", which is corporate, which, to make it more user friendly, has been called "privatization". This is controlling ideas by controlling the words used.

Iraq was, among other things, a demonstration of privatization. Not only would warfare be more privatized, but the country was going to be a model of what corporate interest could accomplish. (Through the American plans for reconstruction.) Of course, and here's the rub, this privatization would be done with much, much taxpayer (public) dollars. Republicans can spend like Democrats, just on their own projects. (It is fair to say, however, that corporate interest will donate to Democrats, if it serves their interests, butter both sides of the bread.)

Note: A current push is to open up the American public system of schools to privatization. Lots of money to be made for business interests if the taxdollars can be siphoned off for private business use. Getting churches to want vouchers is a good way to get support for this.
Privatizing public water systems is another area for concern. Heck, we got that in a way now, with consumers being advertised into buying bottled water.

Republicans have, for decades now, been focusing on getting votes from citizens who end up in the end getting politicians in who vote against their personal interest. The party campaigned on social issues (abortion, gays, issues like Terry Schiavo, etc.), then, when getting into power, voted on corporate issues. Those well intentioned voters got their jobs outsourced and got stuck with a national energy policy based on oil, for example.

The final gift of the Republican Party neo-conservatives to the American people has been the Iraq War.

Please, to fend off any comments about hating the free enterprise system/free market system, my husband is a small business owner. What I object to is the corporate government, which can dictate its own rights without responsibilities. Eisenhower warned us.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I was just watching a segment on this on the news this morning. I think it was even Fox. The story was about a documentary on private contractors in Iraq called Shadow Company.

With over $100 Billion in annual revenues and 70000 employees in Iraq alone, the private military industry is booming, yet few civilians know anything about it. Shadow Company, a groundbreaking feature-length documentary, takes you deep inside this secret world that is changing the face of modern warfare. What are we really risking by allowing profit-motivated corporations into the business of war?

Shadow Company

My ultimate concern about the private contractors in Iraq is what happens when they are done there? Where do they go, and what do they do after that? Do their employers have programs in place to deal with the psychological fall-out of combat and life in a war zone? Do they put away their guns and re-assimilate?

I somehow get the impression their masters will find other work for them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join