It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automatic Updates - Grrrr!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
[rant]

I HATE any type of automatic updates.

In fact I hate any kind of internet activity that I did not expressly initiate.

One of the first things I do when I install Window$ is to turn off Automatic Updates. Then if Security Center keeps pestering about it, I turn it off too.

Now several times in the last couple of weeks, I get a popup from my Apple QuickTime or Safari software, telling me "Updates are available, yada yada yada......"

NOOOOOOO! Its working fine, dammitt!!

So I click "Not Now" or whatever they had to disregard the message.

Then whilst (yeah thats the british spelling - lol) browsing the net, I get a popup from Firefox telling me this update or another is ready...

Jezuz effin' #$@&&$#%#*!!!!!

Now I'm going to dig into all the processes that startup when I turn on my computer and disable anything that looks like it might want to download anything or even check for "Updates".

Thanks for trying to "help" me, but no thanks. Everything is working fine just the way it is.

I mean I have a super slow dialup through...

1 a usb port
2 bluetooth adaptor
3 cellphone dialup connection.

all kinds of things can make that connection unstable, and I get disconnected. Including extended downloads, YouTube and Google videos, podcasts, etc. anything really, over a couple of MB.

Not sure really if it is the adaptor getting too warm from extended use, or the cellphone, the crappy Widcomm bluetooth software, my cellphone, ISP, or whatever. Too many variables, imo.

Anyway, when I lose the connection, I usually have to reboot my computer and cellphone, to be able to restore the connection. Sometimes I have to try several times before I get a stable connection.

One of these days though when Im rich and famous (yeah, right) I will have a decent connection. But for now this is what I have.

So to all of the software vendors that want to "help" me by trying to download updates that I feel I dont even need, I say no thanks - if it aint broke, dont try to help me by "fixing" it.

[/rant]

Edn

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Dont know about the apple crap, but Firefox you can turn off updates through tools -> Options -> Updates and uncheck everything.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Dont know about the apple crap, but Firefox you can turn off updates through tools -> Options -> Updates and uncheck everything.

Oh yeah, I have turned that off already, thanks.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I hear you loud and clear Mechanic, i gotta reboot my connection almost daily.Ticks me off to no end.:shk:Gonna win the lottery and buy me the best dang computer going.Then upgrade it 2 weeks later.LOL.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
No kidding those atomatic updated always pestering me even when you say insall later they just keep popping up, so annoying. Then sometimes they just start installing, even more annoying.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
--Turn off all updates now :bnghd:

I also like to be very much in control of my system and am religious in turning off all updates everytime I install windows or any other program.

Most times it can be done somewhere in "tools" or "options" for the program.

Takes a bit of practice but eventually things get simple. My anti-virus is the only thing I let update automatically.

On the subject of getting disconnected....if the wind blows a bit strong, I will probably lose it! I am in the middle of nowhere and have about 20 telephone poles to get to the first junction down the road. Old poles and wires and repairs everywhere. Frankly, I am grateful for the service I get so no complaints.

Good luck keeping things going.

top topics

join