It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anarchists protest during 4th of july event in Spokane Wa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Anarchists protest during 4th of july event in Spokane Wa

www.infoshop.org

Washington - Today 18 anarchists and anti-authoritarians were arrested in Riverfront Park after marching peacefully against police brutality through downtown Spokane, Wa.

About 70 of us gathered by the river and had a jolly march to the park at around 5pm with signs and banners reading, "Those who hold power must be targeted", "Stop the violence!", "Disarm Authority" and many more.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I was at this actual even when it took place. Now I realize they have the right to protest since they live here, but they went beyond that. The article talks how it was completely peaceful, yet I seen a few of the take a swing or two at some spectators asking them to go. truthfully the spectators weren't completely peaceful either, calling them commies and everything under the sun. But still if they truely are trying to make the world a better place, why pick here? I can think of dozens of countries that really need help and has serious isues. These guys yelled and screamed at people saying we are not really free and yet there they were, walking around protesting their views. How many countries in the world can you do that and not go missing afterwards?They said they hated capitalism, yet they wore GAP clothes, hot topic clothes, and other misc brands. Is that not capitalism? The freedom to succeed? Freedom of purchasing power. Playing with their iPOD at points, and answering their cellphones. Personally I think these guys need to go visit a lees fortunate country and protest there. They need the help more then we do. If we are that bad then why do people from other countries come here, and quite a bit are illegal?

Just my .02 cent on it. you can take it or leave it

-Aza

www.infoshop.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-7-2007 by Azathoth]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Anarchists asking to "Stop the violence." Hmmm. Anarchists having a "peaceful protest." Well, that was destined to go bad.

Now maybe I'm the one that's twisted, but I've always seen anarchy as a no-order way of life, which in turn would promote war, and violence. That's what I grew up to believe it was, anyway. Now that I've said that, in those terms, does anybody else see what's wrong in this picture?

apc

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Anarchists may be utter morons, but they don't necessarily promote war and violence. They promote the abolishment of government, all government. They believe that without a larger overseeing government, self-governing bodies would form naturally among the populace. Problem is... there's noone to decide which side of the street should be driven on, or what currency to use, etc. Eventually networks of agreements form and a council is put together to manage the networks, and viola... you've got a government again. Either that, or some individual with a lot of power and respect starts enslaving everyone else, resulting in a monarchy or dictatorship.

You don't see many anarchist societies around for a reason...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I didn't hear of it...considering I'm only 2 hrs away from Spokane. Is Spokane that boring that you have to entertain yourself parodying anarchists now? What a bunch of fools. They're just bitter and jealous indivuduals that want a place where they are free to commit crimes without retribution.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Anarchists may be utter morons, but they don't necessarily promote war and violence. They promote the abolishment of government, all government. They believe that without a larger overseeing government, self-governing bodies would form naturally among the populace. Problem is... there's noone to decide which side of the street should be driven on, or what currency to use, etc. Eventually networks of agreements form and a council is put together to manage the networks, and viola... you've got a government again. Either that, or some individual with a lot of power and respect starts enslaving everyone else, resulting in a monarchy or dictatorship.

You don't see many anarchist societies around for a reason...

I think you and I rarely agree, but your pretty spot here.

To add to your post, with the complete abolishment of government, theres no one to organize a defence of the country from foreign invaders, no one to organize trade relations, no one to organize populace wide health concerns, etc.

Edit to add: Im aware of the apparent irony between my post and my avatar. The avatar is of a band and doesnt necessarily reflect my political views.

[edit on 5-7-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
They're just bitter and jealous indivuduals that want a place where they are free to commit crimes without retribution.

Bitter from what? Jealous of whom? And what crimes do you speak of? Do you know any anarchists personally?

new topics

top topics

join