It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Equates War in Iraq Today With U.S. War for Independence

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fjtruth

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I think he might have meant that the Iraqis are fighting like we did in order to reach a more idealist democratic society and government.

But who are the Iraqis fighting? They're fighting the Americans and the British!
So that must mean that if "the Iraqis are fighting [for] a more idealist democratic society and government", then the Americans and British must be fighting to stop them achieving "a more idealist democratic society and government".
But didn't Bush say he wanted to bring democracy to Iraq?

Bolding mine, and you nailed it.

When US leaders start wars in foreign counties under the name of spreading democracy, it really means spreading Capitalism, with the benefits going to the West (or US multinational corporations and finance.) US foreign policy has thoroughly crushed democratic and reformist movements all over the world, and replaced it with client-state, pro-west governments.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It would be a correct analogy if we understand that;

the 'insurgents' = are the revolutionaries & freedom fighters
who are fighting off the domination of an American Empire,
the forced upon them government designed by USA hegemony strategists,
We are become the oppressors that our founding fathers fought against.

the 'insurgents' in Iraq are the ones dropping the pitchforks
and picking up muskets...
as far as the indiginous Iraqis, +millions have fled to other countries,
the remaining poor souls have to choose between the Military or the Police
forces as a means of money for themselves and family to survive.

it just depends on one's pursuasion just who are loyal colonists
and who are the revolutionaries shaking off the yoke of the oppressor

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I think he might have meant that the Iraqis are fighting like we did in order to reach a more idealist democratic society and government. We're more like what the French were to the colonists.

You got that right I may say, but remember fighting to the death in Iraq means been either a terrorist, insurgent or Al-qaida when is against the corruption of their poppet government and the invadors or their lands.

I see their fight for independance alright, but is so futile when the invador has the biggest weapons.

BTW is not colonist in Iraq only invadors.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It looks like this was not the first time he made this analogy, see also here

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
History has shown repeatedly that presistance will prevail over might anyday. No matter how you cut it or what spin you put on it; we will never win in Iraq. The longer we stay, no matter how noble our (supposed) motives are we will be faced with an increasingly hostile population who will see our staying as proof that we came not as liberators but as conquorers.

More proof of bush minors disconnect from reality is his assertion that we will be there for 50 years... neither population, the American or the Iraqi will put up with that for the long haul.

We will be out of there within the next 4 to 5 years. Less, hopefully.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If you take the text of the Declaration of Independence and replace "the King of England" with "President of the United States", it's kind of scary how closey it parallels current events.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think this is just the gazillionth example of how dire the situation is in Iraq and what a tragic error it truly was. When a president has to equate what is otherwise a small war against a guerrilla force with a massive war like the Cold War, World War II, and a war of national liberation like the Revolutionary War, something is going terribly wrong.

I can't wait to see what war he compares Iraq to on July 4, 2008.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333
If you take the text of the Declaration of Independence and replace "the King of England" with "President of the United States", it's kind of scary how closey it parallels current events.

You want to hear a scary parallel?

Click on the Audio link in my signature line.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
A couple of things....

When erudite individuals use a reference as did G minor, it doesn't take a bunch of folks sitting on keyboards to try and explain what the Prez really meant. It is usually self evident. In this case, the moronic verbal relation is insulting to us, as well as any of the Iraqi who really are trying to do something in a positive fashion.

Item the second - (And I voted for him the first time through) Mr. President, and I use that term loosely, when will you step down and give our country a fighting chance against all the impending retributions both physical and financial?

I have a number of students who are either over there, or have been over there, at least twice for most of them. I understand the mind set of the American Fighting Man and Woman. It takes a deep love of country and an abiding faith in that country to constantly put oneself in harms way on a continuous basis. The American military has nothing but my deepest respect and support. The government that they are supporting, on the other hand, is, in my mind, a shallow meddlesome, and self-serving caricature which needs to be reigned in by the very people it professes to govern.

Walt Kelly's old comic strip, Pogo, hit it square on the head, "We has met the enemy and he is us".

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it
— George Santayana

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Indeed, they are.

In another thread, I mentioned something along the lines that in the 6000+ years of human governance, the US Constitution offered the best hope for the preservation of justice and liberty.

It occurs to me that the cards were perhaps stacked against us all along. The whole American exercise of the last 200 or so years appears to have been a long shot.

[edit on 5-7-2007 by loam]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
What's war with Iran gonna be like??? The War of 1812????

There has to be a reason for all these gaffes, I mean, Bush is not the speechwriter, he's just a voicebox.

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
What's war with Iran gonna be like??? The War of 1812????

There has to be a reason for all these gaffes, I mean, Bush is not the speechwriter, he's just a voicebox.

Peace

And a raspy, stilted, oftentime nonsensical voicebox at that. It is easy enough to put the tenor and quality of his crummy speeches off on his writers, but he still has the ability to reason and deduce. He quite easily could have said, "Whoa! This ain't it"! But ... I am beginning to wonder if he has the capability of good basic logic and reason.

I agree... Peace:

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I really believe that everything Bush does is based on what a higher power told him to do. Do you ever wonder why Cheney stays so quiet and out of sight? He's like D.B. Cooper for cryin' out loud. They want Bush to be the boogeyman. They want Bush to play the idiot. They want Bush to be the central focus of everything. Now whether he's playing along, which I think he is, or he's just the fool everbody's making him out to be, he's still just a puppet.

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Indeed, they are.

In another thread, I mentioned something along the lines that in the 6000+ years of human governance, the US Constitution offered the best hope for the preservation of justice and liberty.

It occurs to me that the cards were perhaps stacked against us all along. The whole American exercise of the last 200 or so years appears to have been a long shot.

[edit on 5-7-2007 by loam]

nah it wasn`t along shot - more of `lets bet to win on a pair of 9`s`

[edit on 5/7/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I think he might have meant that the Iraqis are fighting like we did in order to reach a more idealist democratic society and government. We're more like what the French were to the colonists.

That would seem to be the most logical assertion, yes.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Well, considering Bush said (like revolutionaries):

"dropped their pitchforks and picked up their muskets to fight for liberty," Bush said, American soldiers were also fighting "a new and unprecedented war" to protect U.S. freedom.

I am pretty sure Bush was talking about our own soldiers and not Iraqi's.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Bush is going to keep this insane Iraq joke going until he's out of office.

He knows its his only hope for an impossible situation he got us in, he blew it , he knows it, we know it, the folks that want to take our heads know it.

The only way you can win a middle east war, is being completly ruthless.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

The only way you can win a middle east war, is being completly ruthless.

RUFF, as much as it pains me to say this, I think you are probably correct. I personally don't think America, nor Americans, have the stomach for what would have to be done to end this "war on terrorism." Ultimately, because of our indecision and lack of mental toughness, we have either entered a battle that will never end, or, one that will ultimately destroy us.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yes as gross as it is to image. That is the only way to win a war agaist a foe who will die to make you die, no matter what the cost.

To fight this kind of foe, you must without a doubt, fight in a blind rage, with an outlook of "we must do whatever it takes to destroy this enemy, or we shall be destroyed", god help us!! Attack!!

please see this www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-7-2007 by RUFFREADY]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join