It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Equates War in Iraq Today With U.S. War for Independence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Bush Equates War in Iraq Today With U.S. War for Independence

www.latimes.com

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — President Bush equated the war in Iraq today with the U.S. war for independence. Like those revolutionaries who "dropped their pitchforks and picked up their muskets to fight for liberty," Bush said, American soldiers were also fighting "a new and unprecedented war" to protect U.S. freedom.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bush: Iraqi, Afghan Wars "Our Destiny"
21 Days to Open the Gates of Hell

[edit on 4-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I thought the Iraq war was "our destiny"?

If the war in Iraq equates to our own U.S. war for Independence Mr. President, who are the militia, who are the freedom fighters, who is rising up against tyranny?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
HUH??

the war in Iraq with the War for independence?

you're right, who is who then? bad analogy Mr. President.

I didn't realize that Iraq was taking away any of my freedoms, I have no intention of ever relocating to Iraq, I have no personal stake in Iraq as an American, other than wanting our soldiers to come back to our soil.

sigh... well let's just hope that we get a National holiday to celebrate Iraq Independence too... we all need more days off from work and excuses to over eat.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I think he might have meant that the Iraqis are fighting like we did in order to reach a more idealist democratic society and government. We're more like what the French were to the colonists.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I think he might have meant that the Iraqis are fighting like we did in order to reach a more idealist democratic society and government.

I wonder how far from this the official White House spin on the President's choice of words and equation will be.

To some there may be some way to justify the comparison between the war in Iraq, and the U.S. war for independence, but I can't see it, unless he is somehow saying that fighting in Iraq helps us have freedom at home. Still makes no sense to me, however the current Iraq war, and the reasoning for which it was launched all make little or no sense as well.

"Like those revolutionaries who "dropped their pitchforks and picked up their muskets to fight for liberty," Bush said"

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I have to agree with President Bush.

However, It seems we are have assumed the role of the British and are fighting in a war that we have no chance of winning.

The similarities are shocking

1) Out of touch ruler who sacked any opposing point or plan for the war.
2) High Tech Army with state of the art tactics and equipment fighting insurgents and rebels that are poorly equipped in comparison.
3) Each day the area controlled shrinks and only small portions are under a bare minimum of controll.
4) Bankrupting the treasury in an effort to fund the war.

The insurgents are doing nothing more what are forefathers did when the defeated the most powerfull military force the world had ever seen.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
does this make us the redcoats now?

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by merryxmas
does this make us the redcoats now?

Long live the King? or is it God Save the King?

This is added filler to avoid setting a bad example for one line or minimal contribution to the discussion.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
I wonder how far from this the official White House spin on the President's choice of words and equation will be.

Hardly spin, since when can you tell a man what he meant by his comments?
It is prudent for you not to be too presumptuous but instead accept further clarification. Granted your opinion has merit and a right to be heard but that does not mean your interpretation is correct. As for our comparison to the British, there is no need, they are alongside us in Iraq. Or are they the Hessians now?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I see two major differences between the Iraq War & the War of Independence...

#1: Our troops are on the wrong side of the ocean.
#2: The Commander in Chief has our troops on an offensive surge instead of a defensive position against invasion...Even while our borders have been getting "invaded" for the past several years.

Where's your common sense & knowledge of history, Mr. Bush? Who's side are you on, anyway? You're making the USA act more like the British Redcoats than Americans.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
He never misses an opportunity for moronic spin, does he not?

Last year, he equated the War in Iraq to the Cold war:

Our nation is being tested in a way that we have not seen since the start of the Cold War.

And the year before that, it was World War II:

Bush Calls Iraq War Moral Equivalent Of Allies' WWII Fight Against the Axis

I guess in his view, if one analogy doesn't stick, you can always try another...

Either that, or his simpleton mind sees the astute connection that.......well, all three were wars, right?

[edit on 5-7-2007 by loam]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I wonder if he thought this one through long enough to realize....

people who dump tea into the sea in protest of high taxes are terrorists!!

and I bet anyone who was crazy enough to dump a tanker full of oil into the sea t in protest to this government, and their puppetmasters (oil companies being one), and the war that they've created to boost their profits....well, I bet someone who did such a thing would be called a terrorist. no only by the government, but by a large portion of the population who would up in arms over the loss of the oil.

I imagine alot of colonists didn't appreciate the loss of tea either...

I agree with many of the other posts before me...this was a bad analogy for the president to use....it will cause the sheep to come to the same conclusion. we are one the wrong side here...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Looks like I'm not the only one who had some beer with da barbecue on this holiday. If the Iraq war is like our Revolution, I'd like to know who the Benedict Arnold of this piece would happen to be.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
Looks like I'm not the only one who had some beer with da barbecue on this holiday. If the Iraq war is like our Revolution, I'd like to know who the Benedict Arnold of this piece would happen to be.

I give my vote to Donald Rumsfield and Paul Wolfowitz who were basically the neocon designers of the pre war build up, and the post war debacle

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
If I had to pick from the two, I'd have to go with Rummie. He fits the profile just a little bit better and his story follows that of Arnold just a little more than that of Wolfewitz. Like Benedict Arnold, I'm sure that the once proud SecDef now feels unappreciated.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Somewhere, out there, there is a village missing an idiot.

Loam, thank you for those examples.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
If you haven't seen this already this is gold. The emotions are coming through thick as....Was this really on mainstream TV? He gets the Golden Balls Award.

Resign Mr president.

Please Mr Bush, please. Can I have a bullet sandwhich?

[edit on 5-7-2007 by DuncanIdahoGholem]

[edit on 5-7-2007 by DuncanIdahoGholem]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I think he might have meant that the Iraqis are fighting like we did in order to reach a more idealist democratic society and government.

But who are the Iraqis fighting? They're fighting the Americans and the British!
So that must mean that if "the Iraqis are fighting [for] a more idealist democratic society and government", then the Americans and British must be fighting to stop them achieving "a more idealist democratic society and government".
But didn't Bush say he wanted to bring democracy to Iraq?

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
haha i read his and im listening to Edwin Starr War's song, waht were the odds.

Take Care every one, Vix

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
That man is a master of the mangled metaphor I will give him that. I wonder if he knows what the definition of is is though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join