It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empathy, sorely lacking in the world and HERE at ATS.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
And then, when all else fails, and I find I simply cannot find empathy (or sympathy) for someone because they seem to be actively trying to piss me off, and derail any decent discussion that might develop... I always have the power to choose to ignore them. It's better to ignore someone than to engage in a worthless diatribe. without sympathy, without understanding, without meaning...

Ignore them.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
><

but the OP was suggesting that 'Empathy' is missing...

i reckon that sorta means there is too much emphasis on Friction,
a certain absence of understanding,
a need for more bleeding heart, bending over backwards...
more acceptance & tolerance, or at least a cordial demeanor between the
opposing points of view.

yeah, right, maybe in some sorta cult, where strangers are forced into face-to-face arrangements & must 'bite-the-bullet' or be ostrachised as a loser/troubled soul if they don't acquiese (pardon the spelling)

didn't Rodney King express this same 'Lament"....
can't we all get along, which is saying that any sub-group in society needs more love-empathy...(and ATS is being singled out here)

I don't understand your aversion to polite discourse, if I'm reading you right. What's wrong with that? You would prefer "friction"? You don't have to agree, just don't draw up the battle line, sound the horns and go at it and achieve nothing.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
polite discourse is not empathy.
a polite discourse will have the effects of a gentil, open, considered, thoughtful words...without any grating friction apparent....
but all that fascade is couched in stabbing & venemous words,
but nade to appear to be refined, courteous, respectful....
thats the 'Art' of the diplomat/debator....

i can appreciate where your heading
but idealism is just that.... idealistic

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i can appreciate where your heading
but idealism is just that.... idealistic

I notice the tendency to be drawn toward the far corners of polarized thought. For example, Intrepid suggests that empathy is lacking. That doesn't mean that he thinks there is NONE ANYWHERE on the board, and is now expecting us all to speak with only flowers and love. It's not an attack against everyone who would argue their position passionately. If he were expecting perfectly polite discussions 100% of the time, I do think that would be idealistic, but as far as I can tell, he's not demanding or even expecting that.

All he's saying is that there are SOME people who don't seem to have the ability to treat those of differing opinions with respect and understanding. There are SOME people who see discussion as a battle of wills, a freaking war to conquer the opposition!

Originally posted by intrepid
There are some here either without the ability, or desire, to see what another member is saying, or feeling.

His post isn't an all-out attack on all ATS members, as a few here seem to think it is.

He's asking for people to listen. If you're already listening, then his message isn't directed to you.

He's asking for a healthier ATS. Not demanding that you change your ways. If his message doesn't resonate with you, carry on...

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Blessings to all

Sorry for any offense.

[edit on 6/7/2007 by BO XIAN]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think I love you intrepid
, I have seen forums torn apart because people wouldn't seek a meeting of the minds, or would dictate instead of debate, and immediately form a negative opinion of a person based on religion and political affiliations.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
OK Bo, we're trying to help make ATS an even BETTER place than it is now. I've asked you nicely to desist in derailing this thread, consider this #2. If you don't like what you see here please refrain from posting, ATS isn't your lab room. I would hope that you would respect what we, as members, are trying to do here.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Being civilized should be no problem to any of us...

Yeah, you'd think that with about 10,000 years or more of "civilization" behind us, there'd be a greater number of "civilized people" running around.

C'mon people, try a little civility. Its good, and it feels good.

Sorta like sex...It always felt good in the past, it feels good now & (for the purpose of future evolution) will feel better tomorrow.

Go to my *hug* thread on BTS and give everyone a hug. Its a miracle thread-
Its like a drug. It will make you feel warm and fuzzy all over.
Go on- It will be good for you.

Your hugging thread sounds like a good start for "social intercourse" to get social evolution going...

After all, there's nothing like a little close-contact, social intercourse to generate some empathy. Good for generating more babies, too...

Hey Intrepid, if you think there's a lack of empathy in the world (as you stated in the thread title), then why is this world so over-populated?

[edit on 6-7-2007 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I would like to add this thread to the discussion providing that you read or have read the thread there is no no need for me to comment further.
Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Intrepid, great thread. Puts me to shame.

I try not to let others provoke me, but sometimes I do.

I try not to stir the pot, and see what bobs up...but sometimes, I can't help myself.

I try to be understanding, and sometimes I don't show that - or not enough. I take it for granted that someone knows that I understood them, and just move on to the next point. In the meantime, I may give off the impression I'm not even listening, when in truth I am.

But I always do try to show respect.

Which is due to everyone here, regardless of age, opinion, camp, whatever. We are all on some sort of a journey, and if anything I've learned during my short time on ATS, it's how true it is, that the more we know and learn, the more we find out about how much more there is, that we don't know.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I guess it was time for a thread like this, in my time here at ATS I've noticed a trend that seems to follow a pattern, tempers flare, then a rash of warning flags can be seen on fellow members avatars, followed by irrational ranting by these very same members, next comes a thread such as this. bestowing upon all, that guiding light of calm, reason and better judgement that the board so desperately is in need of.

A little forethought goes a long way.

A saying we've all heard goes like this: show respect = get respect

or if you like : show empathy= get empathy

People tend to treat others in the same way they themselves get treated, it could be equated to the spiritual law of sowing and reaping, because you will reap what you sow, or if you like: (what comes around goes around) puting this principal to work in the negative realm and you have the potential of opening a pandora's box full of ill will. After the snowball effect takes it's toll the outcome cant be good for ATS.

once again, a little forethought goes a long way.

I myself normally will take the time to proof read a post and consider whether my remarks would possibly anger, hurt or inflame a fellow member, and possibly causing that member to say something that would warrent corrective action by a Mod.

thanks Intrepid for the thread, sentinal

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
One crazy day a while back I realized that there was something just not quite right with the world and I decided to do some research. Then one fateful predawn morning I stumbled across ATS and became hooked instantly. I was amazed at all of the wonderful topics, information, opposing viewpoints and links to fabulous sites that I had no idea even existed. I had, if you will, a researchers orgasm.
I love to research, I will get so wrapped up in researching my topic of interest that I sometimes forget about my own life in play. My research is not scientific, I just get as much possible information from all sides that I can, lay it all out and see what I come up with.
I have many beliefs but I don't feel the need to debate those beliefs heatedly since those beliefs are just that, my beliefs, not anyone else’s. That said, my beliefs could change on a dime with any new information I may come across.
I love ATS for the opposing viewpoints, opposing links and vast amounts of information that is here from both sides of the coin. I want to read all of this and then go do my own research and then eventually come to my own conclusion.
But every couple of months (maybe its a lunar thing, I dunno) the threads start to implode with those wonderful opposing viewpoints turning into "Let me see how far I can shove MY OPINION that I will back up with MY FACTS down your throat" and then all of the intelligent discussion goes out the window, the thread disintegrates and any knowledge that could have been obtained is lost.
And that is the really horrible part, ALL OF THE KNOWLEDGE IS LOST.

I don't care if you are a Conservative, a Liberal, a Moderate, a Truther, a Believer, a Christian, a Jew, Latino, Black, White, Asian, European, American, Female, Male, Senior, Twenty something, Whatever.
I dont care I just want you to share your knowledge, I want you to tell me your beliefs, answer questions, intelligently discuss all aspects.
But please do not flame others for opposing viewpoints, please do not berate others for their beliefs, please do not try to force me or anyone else to accept your version as the only version because you are not me and cannot force me to believe what you do or be who you are.

You can enlighten me, inform me, guide me but you cannot force me.

Intrepid deserves a great big "Hooray and Thank Ye Sai" for putting it out there.

We all want to learn, I personally crave it, I beg of you all to please, please, please share your knowledge, tell us what you believe, give us the external links and then let us find our own beliefs.

I have deep respect for so many here, you all add so much to this forum and you all help me everyday to broaden my knowledge, step out of my box and to deny ignorance and I deeply Thank all of you.

I do not usually post unless I am seeking answers or thought of some clever line or two but recently I have had quite enough of interesting threads dieing because of nastiness and 3 of my last 5 posts have been about this very topic, I am posting this now with a bunch of self right indignation with a hint of sarcasm but I really would love if we could get ATS back on topics, so I selfishly can continue soaking up all of your knowledge. I am now stepping down from my soapbox, thank you, thank you very much.
Now can we put down the torches and go enlighten the masses...
Man it's a scary thing to hit that Post Reply button, I better just do it, okay here I go

[edit on 10-7-2007 by SEEWHATUDO]

[edit on 10-7-2007 by SEEWHATUDO]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Hi Intrepid,

while you may be right about the bickering that may appear to be on the outside fruitless, there may be a silent majority who are just content with remaining silent but may be reading and saying "well I never knew that" or "wow I thought it happened another way". Im sure at any given time there are at least over a dozen google-spiders or yahoo-spiders indexing all these posts and someone that may not be a member of this board may come here and read something and learn something new.

Pie

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I don't feel I have empathy, or much of a conscience for that matter. While watching Sicko at the theatres this weekend, I really didn't care much what happened to people, all I was seeing were $$$Dollar Signs$$$. I guess it's just the "me me me" attitude that North Americans have these days.

One thing that I have for everyone unless they do something to change it is RESPECT.

However, I will not empathize with, nor respect anyone who doesn't back up their "thoughts, feelings, or beliefs" with facts. If you see a board with an idea that is completely ludicris, you should have the ability to point that out. Not this "they have feelings too, even if you can prove them wrong" stuff. But really the only time I have seen the stuff you are talking about going on is on PTS. I've also never seen any of this "Political Baiting and Sniping" here on ATS anyway, at least in the forums I visit regularly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join