posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:35 AM
tO INTREPID . . . et. al.
I concur . . . with feeling . . . comment . . . and . . .
1. Empathy is not often taught in our ME-FIRST-LAST-AND-ONLY world.
2. The major seemingly rising/winning value orientations do not place much currency on empathy.
3. Family systems--which are under deliberate destructive attack around the world and particularly in the Western world--are under such stress and
disintegration that empathy modeling and teaching drop off the priority list, even there.
4. Empathy is not currently even often raised--much less praised and lauded overtly in the majority of the media presentations and entertainment
5. The OPPOSITE OF EMPATHY--GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE, BLOOD, GORE, LEWDNESS etc. are held up as paragon foci of interest and attention. And the masses
drink at such forbidden cups greedily.
6. Even the top flight religious leaders who would, in times past, have modeled, advocated and pushed empathy . . . are no more. And their proponents
are under assault in the public square as at no other time in recorded history on such a world wide scale. Where is a Gandi? Mother Theresa? Billy
Graham, even, is in health decline. Oh, I know, the MAN OF PEACE is coming . . . to wage war with peace and control the world in a tyrannical global
government. But I'm not talking about imposters. Where are the authentic models of true empathy--sacrificial, servant-hearted--Christ-like empathy
that dies on a cross even for His enemies--forgiving THEM in the process. He's coming again, too . . . but there will be more death and violence,
first--hardly more empathy in most regions and situations.
7. Selfishness, greed, arrogance, ego-glorification, insecurity, stubbornness, compulsions to win at all costs--are all glorified, exalted, rewarded,
encouraged . . . and the opposite of EMPATHY--INDEED--HOSTILE TO, DEADLY TO EMPATHY.
8. UNDERSTANDING, PATIENCE, WISDOM, HUMILITY, KINDNESS--PRECURSORS of EMPATHY are also avoided, not taught, trashed, ridiculed, shredded, mangled,
lacking in our cultures around the world in this era.
9. FATHERS and FATHERING are particularly lacking, missing, shredded, out-of-commission--drunk, stoned, exhausted, drained, empty. . . in our era . .
. not even there, rarely there AND ABLE to teach and model UNDERSTANDING, PATIENCE, WISDOM, HUMILITY, KINDNESS, EMPATHY.
10. Employees, colleagues, family members, associates are rarely rewarded for their empathy . . . at least not routinely and not in lastingly
substantive ways. Greed is rewarded. Aggressiveness is rewarded. Clever conquest gaining Arrogance is rewarded. Put-downs are rewarded.
And, I suspect, that within 3-7 posts, this post will be argued with vigorously, rebelled against indignantly vs empathisized with . . . unless this
sentence discourages such--which is doubtful.
Therefore what? Great question. Challenging question. Challenging issue.
Behaviorism would indicate that rewarding empathy would increase it's frequency. And punishing it's opposites would also likely increase it's
frequency to some degree.
Is that done on ATS? Not greatly; not frequently--to my awareness.
It's one thing to logically shred a weak, inferior argument, proposition, position--even with passion based on facts and experience.
It's another thing to--out of blind, rigid, arrogant bias--trash a position, perspective, argument, poster. But that happens a lot and is even often
praised and rewarded hereon.
Sometimes it seems like a very narrow gestalt is expected and glorified hereon. And Empathy is not part of that gestalt UNLESS the positions at the
core of that gestalt are agreed with. That's rather sad. Often enough, it's infuriating. Needlessly infuriating colleagues, associates, is not
usually perceived as empathy. It's also not a good route to foster empathy.