It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving to Mars Yes/No

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Mars? You mean Yuma, Marsizona? The only people that will be moving to Mars will be the rich and the old. How do we know that humans can even reproduce healthy offspring on Mars? If not, you will end up with retirees using their life's savings for a trip to Mars and getting the benefits of reduced gravity and probably a longer and more active life. The rich will fly in and fly off back to Earth, and the locals will be the service sector for the old and those rich tourists.

I'm sure there will be miners, scientists, and hermits who will be there, but I dobut a Wild West on Mars is going to happen. I have a feeling that the only way people could truly become Martians is by genetic engineering that manipulates the human body so that it can exist on Mars permanetly.

Of course the easy answer to colonize Mars, is to just move the Playboy Mansion there...men would be blasting off tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by beergoggles
Wow, That link had some really complicated information. I was wondering, DavidBieniek, as you are a Physicist, could you explain it in simpler terms? I want to understand it but that is a little out of my league.

Thanks in advance,
BG- fellow musician and human

Yes, without going into details of the field stength and uniformity... Mars has a very weak magnetic field. This is due the the dynamo inside it being either dead or almost dead. The dynamo is the liquid iron portion of the core of the planet that spins and produces the magnetic field. Earths dynamo is very active and thus shield us from the radiation that fills space. Without our magnetic field we would all start off with some bad sunburn and move on to massive skin cancer.

Mars does not offer us this protection, nor do we have even close to the technology to change it. When talking about the dream of terraforming Mars this is normaly left out cause its a real dream-stopper.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
ok

Thanx for all the Replies!

Boogie: Good Point
On the TV Program yesterday they did a test with some people. They had to just stay in bed and there Heart Muscle got smaller!

And that�s what would happen on Mars because of there being hardly any gravity!
And when they got back to earth they wouldn't be able to walk or do anything really!

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by Krisboton]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScienceGuyQ
Yes, without going into details of the field stength and uniformity... Mars has a very weak magnetic field. This is due the the dynamo inside it being either dead or almost dead. The dynamo is the liquid iron portion of the core of the planet that spins and produces the magnetic field. Earths dynamo is very active and thus shield us from the radiation that fills space. Without our magnetic field we would all start off with some bad sunburn and move on to massive skin cancer.

Mars does not offer us this protection, nor do we have even close to the technology to change it. When talking about the dream of terraforming Mars this is normaly left out cause its a real dream-stopper.

So, if, as scientists believe, mars once had a more active dynamo and thicker atmosphere, we could have inhabited it then? I believe the magnetic field is now around 1/800th of what the earth enjoys and the ability to block the radiation from the sun is now diminished to a level rendering it virtually useless to human inhabitation, so what is the point of going there? I understand the planet may hold clues to the origin of the earth but as far as inhabitation is concerned, it is a moot point.
You mentioned that you are in favor of colonization

I think we should move to Mars
Am I missing something?

Peace,
BG

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by beergoggles]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
beergoggles

We could live in shielded habitats. If Mars was terraformed to be warmer, oxygern rich, and support other life that can withstand the radiation, then humans could simply stay indoors, or underground, or in suits, or whatever else it takes.

It is by far not an ideal situation, however it is our best bet at living places other than Earth.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krisboton
Should we move to mars?
Tell me if you would live their and why and if not why

I think we should!

But the idea of using green house gases to heat it up is silly because then eventually we will crap up mars too! Then we will just be moving planet to planet destroying them!

How do you think we will move to Mars, with a Space Shuttles? Year after year I hear that after some 20 - 30 years we will live on the mood, fly to the mars and so on, but actually nothing has changed much since US landed on the moon.

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by Agnis]

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
We should of have had hotels up there by now.
Yeah, why was the Moon program so dead for 30yrs.,
and now they are interested again? BS!! They KNOW
they can't take all 6 billion of us up there!!
and by 2040, if we last that long, it will be 12-24
billion people that need to get off this planet fast.!
The atmosphere is mostly CO2, so everything would
have to be within enclosed areas of course.
maybe some of the elite nwo types will get up there.
but for the masses, I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
If it's anything like the pics we've being seeing, the answer is NO.

It's boring to see red all the time.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScienceGuyQ
If humans do make Mars warmer and more oxygen rich, we still need to do something about the radiation. Mar's doesn't have a protective magnetic field like the earth. Mutations and evolution on Mars would be MUCH faster.

This is exactly my reason for NOT moving to mars. You can't flip a switch (ok, do billions of dollars of work on mars) and expect everything to work perfectly.

While fiction, Total Recall was written with the input of scientists and NASA - the mutants in the story were based on comments about radiation and the magnetic field. It takes more than an atmosphere...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join