It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving to Mars Yes/No

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Don't think I can move to Mars...I hate to fly

unless they develop a teleportation device, I will never make it there!

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

I would be on the FIRST ship out

WOW!! You must be a really important person!

please excuse the sarcasm

Anyway, as I am sure you all probably know, BUsh man has decided that there will be a manned mission to mars within 10 years. Very exciting I think.

BUt should we settle once more on MArs? well, yes! of course! It is our nature to travel and expand, we have been doing it since the dawn of mankind, it would be very unwise to stop now as pretty soon we will be kneehigh in people. Think how traffic jams will be in 20 years time if a better mode of transport and travel isnt established. Then there are all the hundreds of dangers to our planet. The man-made dangers seem most prolific, then we have natural dangers not just from outta space (comets-meteors etc) but also more domestic problems like earthquakes and Volcanic eruptions. (run) Amuk said that it could be our only chance of survival. This I hadnt thought of before. It is very true. If a bigf enough comet hiots us now or a mad enough President presses the button, then human life could be finished but if we were further spread throught the Milky way then one such huge disaster, although being the very worst thing in human history would leave millions more to morn from afar.

I dont think it is a question of "should we conquer and settle on Mars", more " when could we possibly do this"

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by triplesod]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minion

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
1. Mars is NOT devoid of life. That is where a little 'faith' comes in.

2. Mars is NOT static. It is moving at high velocity in its orbit around our dying sun and it has significant gravitational and astrological impacts.

3. Hey, wasn't it pretty in September last year?

Who do you think you are? You contradicted yourself twice. You honestly think your from Mars? Ask yourself that. really.......i mean, i knew there were raving lunatics on here that dont know what they are talking about, but as someone told me the other day......" i tip my tinfoil hat to you"

Well, it looks like he is someone who understands sarcasm, humour, irnoy just that little bit better than your good self

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

WOW!! You must be a really important person!

Only to my dog

I meant if I had a chance

And I was the one that said it was are only chance

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

A. Well, not in a Roky Erickson kind of way.[Edited on 9-1-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

I would be interested in seeing how many people understand this little nod to psychadelic schitzophrenia.

Sorry, i dont mean to sound like we are in some very smug group here who are the only ones in the know and can titter at the ignorant hoards for their Green Days and Limp Blietzkrieg's. But I woudl still be interested to know if anyone speaks up.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
How fun would a skate park be there? with 1/6th the gravity the tricks you could do there would be unreal.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Yea it would be cool to move to another planet. But why do we go somewhere where there is nothing but red dust when we have grass, buildings, animals, water etc... we might be wrecking this planet but this planet is still a whole lot better compared to the resources available on mars.

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Mikomi]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
im sure NASA plans to terraform Mars in net 100 years or so, nano bots could help terraform Mars faster.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So we bring some species there now, plant some apple trees... you know the usual. Then just wait for more and more and in a few years it'll be forests and then enough air for humans to come. I'm a genius! Hmm... we do need to come there periodically to water those trees.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
What do you mean by "water the trees", does that that have something with cases of beer?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScienceGuyQ
If humans do make Mars warmer and more oxygen rich, we still need to do something about the radiation. Mar's doesn't have a protective magnetic field like the earth. Mutations and evolution on Mars would be MUCH faster.

Here is an article on Mar's Magnetic field if anyone is intrested. mgs-mager.gsfc.nasa.gov...
Perhaps that is the purpose behind the HAARP program? Maybe we are hoping to stimilate a magnetic field on Mars?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikomi
Yea it would be cool to move to another planet. But why do we go somewhere where there is nothing but red dust when we have grass, buildings, animals, water etc... we might be wrecking this planet but this planet is still a whole lot better compared to the resources available on mars.

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Mikomi]

Why? you ask.

Well, why not read the thread as that question has been answered in parts by several different people.

Third roll of the eyes in one thread. Heartbreaking

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
No...as to previous reply's...I'm not important. But if the chance arose to go and colonize Mars...I'd jump at it (if not be the first to volenteer) Evan taking into consideration all the risks and such...I'd go in a heartbeat. Given a chance to start fresh, (away from this planet)...sign me up.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krisboton
Should we move to mars?
Tell me if you would live their and why and if not why

I think we should!

But the idea of using green house gases to heat it up is silly because then eventually we will crap up mars too! Then we will just be moving planet to planet destroying them!

You knock yourself out, buddy, but count me out! My next move will be the last, and its only going to be into the rural county area.
I could imagine the movers losing my furniture somewhere between the moon and Mars.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
ok, if you were making a joke fine, im not a writerpoethistoyenglishperson like yourself, whover you were , wherever, ahh

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Oh, yea, and i cant stand green day or limp whaterver "blitzkreig" ?.... if thats what you were alluding to.....im a Van halen man, everyone here knows that.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hey, im sorry. I didnt mean to be funny with you

Was just letting you know he was just being daft (he's australian, dont you know).

It's very very hard to tell how people are expressing themselves in ASCII, isnt it?

edit. NO, I was reffering to MA mentioning a guy called Roky Ericson who was from a 60's band called 13th floor elevators. He was completely off his head. See if you can find any interviews with him on th enet to see what i mean. NOt that you will get to read much as he normally is in a world of his own, not hearing any of teh interviewers questions, until suddenly something catches his ear and he goes off on one about the most insane quasi-religious madness ever. The Nick Kent interview for example.

He was quite a dangerous man too, actually.

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by triplesod]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
O.K., how about Jefferson STARSHIP ?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
O.K., how about Jefferson STARSHIP ?

hehe, Jefferson gravitypropelledplane.

I'm off to bed now peeps. I hope you have all added more to this thread by the morn. Its an idea i am fascinated by and i am glad that the right people seem to be answering it.

(i sound like a right bastard! "the right people" sorry, i really dont look down on anyone here although i know i must sound like a right message board snob to some of you... sorry
)

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScienceGuyQ
If humans do make Mars warmer and more oxygen rich, we still need to do something about the radiation. Mar's doesn't have a protective magnetic field like the earth. Mutations and evolution on Mars would be MUCH faster.

Here is an article on Mar's Magnetic field if anyone is intrested. mgs-mager.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Wow, That link had some really complicated information. I was wondering, DavidBieniek, as you are a Physicist, could you explain it in simpler terms? I want to understand it but that is a little out of my league.

Thanks in advance,
BG- fellow musician and human

<< 1    3 >>

join