It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving to Mars Yes/No

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Should we move to mars?
Tell me if you would live their and why and if not why

I think we should!

But the idea of using green house gases to heat it up is silly because then eventually we will crap up mars too! Then we will just be moving planet to planet destroying them!

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I moved from Mars, and while I see myself going back one day, we still have things to do here comrade.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
We would have no choice but to create a warmer atmosphere. We would first have to create canals like some used to think were on mars. Then we would have to heat up the polar ice caps.

The water would flow only if the temperature of the planet was warm enough to allow it.

In the book "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, he refered to some sort of heavy dusting over the polar ice caps of mars. The dust would be dark, and absorb the sunlight raising the temperature of the ice caps. Again, the only problem was mantaining an ambient temperature over the entire mars suface that is above freezing.

I would go in any case........can you imagine looking at earth through a telescope from mars. So far away............

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I just watched this TV Program (Moving to Mars) and NASA would build green house gas farms that would pump green house gases in to the air, until it warmed it up, the polar ice caps melt you would get the water and the carbon-dioxide from the ice would warm it up even more and the NASA would put trees and other oxygen giving things on the planet

But it would take hundreds of years!

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krisboton
Should we move to mars?
Tell me if you would live their and why and if not why

I think we should!

But the idea of using green house gases to heat it up is silly because then eventually we will crap up mars too! Then we will just be moving planet to planet destroying them!

I think we should move to Mars. The more people we have spread out the better our chances for survival in the event of a NATURAL global disaster.

As for the greenhouse effect, who said it is bad or "crapping up" a planet? The green house effect only changes the enviroment, not destroys it. More greenhouse gasses promote plant growth. It does cause extinction, and it is bad for humans (we don't adapt well) but its not by deffinition bad. Assuming Mars has no life on it, it would be a good thing. We'd turn a usless ball of rock into something that supports at least human life.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
If we keep putting green house gases in to our atmosphere it will get to hot to Survive, all plant life will die and all of the animals too!

Then we will have nothing to eat and on air to breath!

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Krisboton]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If humans do make Mars warmer and more oxygen rich, we still need to do something about the radiation. Mar's doesn't have a protective magnetic field like the earth. Mutations and evolution on Mars would be MUCH faster.

Here is an article on Mar's Magnetic field if anyone is intrested. mgs-mager.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScienceGuyQ
We'd turn a usless ball of rock into something that supports at least human life.

OI!!!

Them's fighting words. What makes a rock useless in your homo sapiens-centric view? You think because you don't understand the broader definition of life that it's easy to supplant "uselessness" with "humanity"?

Give yourselves another thousand years, and if you have not destroyed yourselves totally through stupidity (all the signs have been there for so long), only then think about getting buddy-buddy with other sentient life forms.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krisboton
If we keep putting green house gases in to our atmospher it will get to hot to Survive, all plant life will die and all of the amimals too!

Then we will have nothing to eat and on air to breath!

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Krisboton]

Nah, you are probably refferencing some 1980's envro-doomsday stuff. Life has a way of stablizing its enviroment. As temperatures and CO2 levels raise the oceans will fill with algea blooms. Plant life would grow fine in 120F temperatures but even long before that people and many complex animal species would die, then simple plant life would start restoring the atmosphere.

Food and Air would out live people, then once humans are gone, the planet would start to regrow and reevolve.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
OI!!!

Them's fighting words. What makes a rock useless in your homo sapiens-centric view? You think because you don't understand the broader definition of life that it's easy to supplant "uselessness" with "humanity"?

Give yourselves another thousand years, and if you have not destroyed yourselves totally through stupidity (all the signs have been there for so long), only then think about getting buddy-buddy with other sentient life forms.

Its a rock... A sphere of minerals. And yes, i meant useful in respect to humans. Thats where the part about "if it doesn't contain life" comes in. If devoid of live, a rock will remain static for eternity.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
1. Mars is NOT devoid of life. That is where a little 'faith' comes in.

2. Mars is NOT static. It is moving at high velocity in its orbit around our dying sun and it has significant gravitational and astrological impacts.

3. Hey, wasn't it pretty in September last year?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think we need to go.

moving on out is our only hope for survival.

There is a book out called the milleniem project that talks about how to settle our solar system and beyond.In the part about mars it suggests slaming a few ice heavy comets into mars. That would do two things thicken up the atmosphere and add much needed water and co2.

I would be on the FIRST ship out

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Its not a doomsday thing, think about it. If it gets too hot plants die no food for us or animals then the animals die then we die!

And if it heats up too much the seas will evaporate and form massive clouds and then no light, then every thing dies!

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   

2. Mars is NOT static. It is moving at high velocity in its orbit around our dying sun and it has significant gravitational and astrological impacts.

Who do you think you are? You contradicted yourself twice. You honestly think your from Mars? Ask yourself that. really.......i mean, i knew there were raving lunatics on here that dont know what they are talking about, but as someone told me the other day......" i tip my tinfoil hat to you"

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Ah, i think Mars stand a good probability of sustaining life and having life. However, I don't do things on Faith. I do not believe in a god(s) nor do i believe in life on Mars. This doesn't mean that I think niether is possible or may even exist, but until I have some logical proof/evidence i treat it as though it does not. Again, if there is life on Mars, i would not want to terraform it. (Actualy there is life on Mars which makes the whole thing a bit complicated cause we know for a fact HUMANS put it there starting with landers in the 1970s)

Motion is relative, so in a way I can claim it is.
However i meant biologicly static.

Yes. Nice color change from the standard planet lighting up the sky, Venus.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Krisboton

I agree that there is a point in global warming that we would not survive. However LIFE would survive. There are life forms very much immune to our atmospheric warming. Some procaryotes live at well over 200F.

www.bact.wisc.edu...

And some sea life is well below our ecosystem to suffer from a surface devistation.

www.whoi.edu...

The enviroment would change drasticaly. Many thing would die. But life would survive and evolve to the changes.

Ancient Earth has no Oxygen in its atmosphere. Entire Eons went by where life was much hotter and in a different enviroment. Something adapt, something die out, but life lives on.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Good one science guy, i couldnt explain myself ten minutes ago, thanks for doing it for me. Its nice that there is at least one more physist in here besides me.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Q. Who do you think you are?

A. I'm working on it. I will make sure you are amongst the first to know, I care that much.

* You contradicted yourself twice.

A. I'm not aware of it. Show us all where please.

Q. You honestly think your from Mars?

A. Well, not in a Roky Erickson kind of way. I think most ATS members who know me seeing my Martian humor know immediately that it is figurative. I make Martian references every now and then.

* Ask yourself that. really.......i mean, i knew there were raving lunatics on here that dont know what they are talking about, but as someone told me the other day......" i tip my tinfoil hat to you"

A. Thank you for attempting to shade me from the perils of paranoia and conspiracy with your own tinfoil hat! It was such a kind and sharing act. I've never needed one myself.

Does being a minion pay well these days? Oh sorry, I just noticed you were a physist, LOL.

* makes further plots to escape this planet intact *

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I think that the only problem with creating a livable atmospere is water. Mars' atmosphere is 95 % co2, therefore if the soil were able to sustain plant life, or at least not poison it, plants would produce oxygen much quicker in a co2 rich enviroment.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I think that the only problem with creating a livable atmospere is water. Mars' atmosphere is 95 % co2, therefore if the soil were able to sustain plant life, or at least not poison it, plants would produce oxygen much quicker in a co2 rich enviroment.

Thats why you hit it with ice balls.
Also there is water locked up on mars just not a lot of it. Once we tipped the scale past a certian point it would continue with out our help. Mars is only 'Dry" by earth standards I read somewhere there is enough water there now for small oceans although I am unsure of the truth to it.

I think there are speices on earth that could live on mars now alges and some bactaria although again I could be wrong

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join