It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists: Piranhas are wimps!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
MSNBC Source

LONDON - Despite their fearsome reputation, piranhas are wimps that gather in large shoals to protect themselves from predators, scientists said on Monday.

Rather than aggressive killers, research shows piranhas are omnivorous scavengers, eating mainly fish, plants and insects, Anne Magurran of Scotland’s University of St Andrews said.

“Previously it was thought piranhas shoaled as it enabled them to form a cooperative hunting group. However, we have found that it is primarily a defensive behavior,” she said.

So they mean to tell us this videos shows us defense rather than attack?

Caution! Graphic video of live mouse being eaten by piranahas

Any comments on this? I kinda disagree but Im not an animal behavior Expert.

*Added video disclaimer*

[edit on 5-7-2007 by dbates]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yea..
after watching that video,
I don't know about that.

I'd like to push one of those researchers
into a pool of 'em, and then judge their
reaction.. now that's research.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

N.C. fisherman reels in a piranha

MOUNT HOLLY, N.C. - A fisherman looking to catch a catfish for dinner instead reeled in a fish that flashed its teeth and bit his knife. Jerry Melton, 46, was fishing in the Catawba River last week when he caught what state wildlife officials later identified as a piranha, a South American carnivorous fish that lives in freshwater.

"When I got it on the bank I didn't really know what it was; I hadn't seen anything like it before," Melton said.

When Melton opened the fish's mouth with a pocketknife, he said the fish bit down and left an impression on the blade.

More...

Wimp?

I don't know how many animals of similar size can indent the blade of a pocketknife...

(I'll leave alone the fact that this particular fish was found in NC!
)

[edit on 4-7-2007 by loam]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I wonder how many gangs are going to change their name because of this. Not so cool being called Piranhas anymore...

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I lived deep in the Amazon rainforrest with a small tribe of native Yanomami indians. We used to swim in the river several times each day. We also used to fish in the same river and often caught pirrana. They are not at all as fearsome as Hollywood makes them out to be. I never got bit and neither did anyone else. They taste great but there are too many fine bones to pick out.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
You don't understand. Piranha's are not group hunters. The reason they gather in schools is to defend themselves from predators.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
That is the reason ALL fish school. It lowers their chance of getting eaten by predators. The whole idea is safety in numbers. Piranha do indeed feed in schools often, but finding food is not why they school.

There are times when piranha can be dangerous. When food sources are scarce, or in the presence of blood much like sharks. In general, they are just like any other fish and swimming near them is no big risk.

As for the comment about them leaving marks in a steel knife.....that statement is highly suspect. They have small jaws and not a lot of power. They do have numerous very sharp teeth, and often can bite trough fishing lines, but never in my experience, could they damage steel. We generally caught then in hand thrown nets, or with a hand line. The Yanomami also hunt them and other fish with small fishing spears.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I think the statement about piranah being wimps is just a little over the top.

They survive as best they can. At least, they don't have that stupid "Army of One" mentality.

I'd like to think that's the reporter's term and not the scientists'.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate
Yea..
after watching that video,
I don't know about that.

I'd like to push one of those researchers
into a pool of 'em, and then judge their
reaction.. now that's research.

Disgusting video, may who ever made it have an unfortunate fishing accident next time they are near water.

Anyways..

If you actually look at the fish behavior besides the killing.. the first fish niped it, swam around, tried to scare it... obviously this was a warning.

Then 2 fish swim around it and nudge it a few times.. obviously a warning.

Notice the more fish in the area, the more aggressive.. this shows they don't like attacking big prey on their own..

Only until all the fish in the tank are around the poor beast do they kill it, and they killed it because it intruded their water and did not leave when warned.

Obviously these fish are scared of mice, and attacked in a large group because of that fear. Territorial to be exact.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I think it was more likely a young rat than a large mouse looking at it.

The way I saw it the initial nips were to test the prey, most predator figure out their prey before commiting because a predator will die if it looses the ability to kill.

I was always told that Piranhas only attack something equivelent or larger when in numbers. But i've never ever seen one that wasn't on a tv or computer screen - so thats how much my knoladge on this subject is worth

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'm not particulary fond of the graphic content of the video as it seemed the owner was actually taking enjoyment from watching the mouse be eaten to the extent he wanted to film it.

BUT..

I do know piranhas would not attack humans, say swimming, due to the size and flailing arms and legs would definitely put a piranha off attacking. I noticed the attack in numbers routine- all edging forward together. Its good to shed light on some of the realities of Hollywood stereotyping!

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
My father had an aquarium when I was a kid. He had pirahnas in that aquarium. I never trusted those pirahnas. They would always give me dirty looks and stuff. Those pirahnas thought they were so cool. Swimmin' around, bitin' things, chewin' on animals and stuff...........
I hate pirahnas.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Man, that mouse got tow up from the flow up!

What a great way to handle a rodent problem.

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That was some great footage there, almost makes me want to get some piranhas myself, though I heard they're difficult to maintain...That's like a pint sized version of a shark attack.
I think this vid is almost as good at the centipede one.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
My friend used to feed his Python live rats and we'd all sit around and watch! We'd all pick a time and drop a pound in the pot (that's like 2 dollars us).

In went the rat!

On went the stop watch.

Someone always made a killing.

Usually the snake.

Monkey

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
In went the rat!

On went the stop watch.

Someone always made a killing.

Usually the snake.

Priceless. You mean you always bet on the rat?

I've just given you a little starry thing by the way.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Meh...

That video is okay... But I think this one is better.

(Warning: Gerbil Language)

Joe Monkeys, not just for being the scourge of gerbils anymore...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
My father had an aquarium when I was a kid. He had pirahnas in that aquarium. I never trusted those pirahnas. They would always give me dirty looks and stuff. Those pirahnas thought they were so cool. Swimmin' around, bitin' things, chewin' on animals and stuff...........
I hate pirahnas.

Hilarious! I can totally imagine peter griffin reading this. With a bit of a touch-up, this could even be a "grinds my gears" segment

Here's a clip for those who live under rocks

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExquisitExamplE

Originally posted by lombozo
I hate pirahnas.

Hilarious! I can totally imagine peter griffin reading this. With a bit of a touch-up, this could even be a "grinds my gears" segment

Here's a clip for those who live under rocks

www.youtube.com...

Now that is a compliment and a half! Thank you!

new topics

top topics

join