It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extra-Sensory Perception Research Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
GOAL/S:

1). Enter meditative states in an organized and structured basis to extract
information from assumed non-physical sources.
2). Verify information between members reproducing the same experiment, to
suggest whether results are purely imaginative or follow a credible trend.
3). If successful, examine in detail and theorize how this may be occurring -
whether it suggests existance of an astral plane or a more
earthly/psychological explanation.
4) Optional last tier of the experiment, utilize techniques in a purely
theoretical way to extract information about a specific subject such as a
public mystery.

PURPOSE:

We will spiritually collaborate in a scientific experimental manner in order
to investigate the phenomenon of retrieving information from an alterior
dimension. All techniques will be based off meditiation - the ancient art of
focusing thought and clearing the mind. We intend to assess the possibility
of paranormal ability in this regard, and investigate all other explanation
for the phenomena, if reproduced successfully.

Perhaps one can call it a discovery of the self, and how this relates to
inner and outer planes of conciousness.

MEMBERS:

biggie smalls: Co-Captain
SteveR: Co-Captain
AnAbsoluteCreation
kleverone
Menguard
Lightworker13
Skyblueff0
SpeakerofTruth

RESEARCH LEVEL:

"Level 3 Research"

If you have any questions regarding this project, please bring it up with either myself or SteveR. We will be starting as soon as possible. I believe we are full at the moment for this project, but if we do continue onto another project at level 3 or 4 I will probably be able to include you.

Start your research!

Biggie

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Welcome to the ESP research project.

As you may have gathered from Gavin's post the primary focus of this project is analyzing information gained without physical transmission or assistance. This involves using the mind or spirit exclusively, termed by skeptics anomalous cognition.

As a matter of fact this process has been mentioned and described in many ancient cultures and traditions all over the world. Depending on circumstance it is regarded in an esoteric way. Words such as mediumship, scrying, divination, remote viewing, meditation and telepathy in their respective ways have been associated in function to this process.

The research project aims to recreate the core phenomena in a secular way. We will be exploring the bounds of human consciousness with a blank page, no aforementioned lore or belief systems will be advocated or used in the investigation.

We will extend this to our personal perceptions too. I ask all of you to approach the subject matter with an open mind, due to the possibility of pre-formed conclusions interfering with the process. This should put us all in the same position regardless of belief.

There are alot of questions to be answered regarding the validity of the process and questions regarding the source of the retrieved information, which we will seek to answer in due time. As our experiment progresses, speculation and thought is welcome and important. We will hear experiences and discuss theories. Yet as we gravitate to a higher understanding of our activities, we may be able to develop logical explanations, some of which could be unconventional in nature and exploratory. This represents the ultimate aim of the project.

Please take time to digest the summaries in the links above. This should provide a significant background information resource that we will collectively share. On that note, it is pertinent that we conduct the experiment collectively, as multiple results and experiences will be of greater benefit. Below I will outline the structure of this project.

1) To prime our minds I suggest a period of introductory meditation. Share techniques and spend time daily or almost daily in their application. Be comfortable with the clearing of irrelevant thoughts and internal peace. Practice opening your consciousness to perceive an unseen external reality. The thought and concept should register in your mind.

2) When all are satisfied and ready to move on to the next level, SteveR and Biggie Smalls will divulge a tried-and-tested technique of ESP for the purpose of seeking external information. This will be practiced for a longer period. Targets will be given.

3) At this point we will collaborate and diversify our technique individually. We will explore ways to enhance the process, and examine the factors that effect the process. More targets will be issued to compare results.

4) The last tier of the experiment. When all are comfortable and want to move onto something new, we will utilize our technique to source information on an unexplained mystery or similar. The purpose is using ESP to explore concepts that are limited in knowledge by physical research. As we all focus on one particular target, we may build up a picture that exceeds currently known information.

Any off-topic comments and questions can be directed via U2U.

Many thanks.
SteveR

[edit on 4/7/07 by SteveR]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Tier 1

The Introductory Meditations

"1) To prime our minds I suggest a period of introductory meditation. Share techniques and spend time daily or almost daily in their application. Be comfortable with the clearing of irrelevant thoughts and internal peace. Practice opening your consciousness to perceive an unseen external reality. The thought and concept should register in your mind."

As explained during Tier 1 we are practicing meditation and not yet seeking information, so I have a simple meditation technique to offer. It may require repeated practice for the best results.

Instructions

Sit or lie on the couch in a very comfortable position. There is no right or wrong way for your body to be positioned. The only requirement is that your body is relaxed.

Let your entire thoughts fade away. Whatever is upsetting you, think about later. LATER. Use this meditation time for healing. Empty all thoughts about your environment.

Great focus can be achieved with proper breathing. The amount of air that must be inhaled is one hundred percent of capacity. Slowly inhale as much air as you can. Exhaling should be about twenty percent longer in length than inhaling. Slowly exhale every bit of air.

Normally breath five twenty percent inhales and exhales. Repeat this breathing cycle. Keep your mind empty of all thoughts.

Look at the top area of your head from within the mind's eye. Focus on it intently. Breathe out deeply with the intent of flushing out energy blockages. You may feel physical sensations - remain calm.

Your mind's eye is now looking between your eyes. Very slowly, exhale all air and hold your breath. You will have the intent of flushing out energy blockages in this area also.

Credit - Kaltem Gibson.

Personally I like his method. I've edited it for clarity somewhat. Peformed immediately prior to your main meditation this may help you to focus on external immaterial sources.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I will work on this later in the afternoon. Hopefully this will be a good little research project.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hello fellow scholars,

I hope everyone has done at least one meditation so far. I'd like to hear all of your personal results within a day or two. I know around the fourth of july tends to be a busy part of the summer, so I will forgive you.

However, I would like at least one post a week from everyone so we don't have to cut this short.

I will copy into this thread an experience I had a few days ago that I had written in the 'higher light' thread in paranormal. It involved what I believe to be a '___' induced experience. I had a vision of many different beings watching me. This is kind of what I was looking for when I thought about starting this project...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I hope some of these posts will give you greater incite into the grand possibilites we are dealing with.

Remember we are trying to prove the existence of extra-sensory perception. That means anything that you can detect without the use of the five common sense: sight, smell, touch, hear, and taste.

I have done some research into the realm of meditation as well. Below are a few quotes that I felt might point you in the direction I had in mind.

I hesitate to use the word meditation. To me, as well as many others, the word "meditation" conjures up the picture of a bearded man sitting cross-legged in front of an entrance to a cave or high on a mountain top. Climbing the mountain and reaching him is part of the arduous journey toward self-fulfillment, self-improvement. Once we find him we ask, "What is the meaning of life?" or "How do we achieve peace in ourselves and our lives?" This all-knowing man tells us the answers are "inside ourselves" and tells us to go and contemplate. I don't know if that answer was worth the journey!

www.learningmeditation.com...

There are various types of meditation - prayer is probably the best known, but there is also TM (Transcendental Meditation), mindfulness meditation, and from the Eastern tradition, Zen meditation, Buddhist meditation, and Taoist meditation.

The meditation encompasses such diverse methods as:

Formal sitting in which the body is held immobile and the attention controlled. e.g., Zazen, Vipassana

Expressive practices , in which the body is let free and anything can happen. e.g., Siddha Yoga, the Latihan, the chaotic meditation of Rajneesh.

The practice of going about one's daily round of activities mindfully. e.g., Mahamudra, Shikan Taza, Gurdjieff's "self-remembering".

All these practices have one thing in common - they all focus on quietening the busy mind. The intention is not to remove stimulation but rather to direct your concentration to one healing element - one sound, one word, one image, or one's breath. When the mind is "filled" with the feeling of calm and peace, it cannot take off on its own and worry, stress out, or get depressed.

According to Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., a pioneer in the field of mind/body medicine, meditation can be broadly defined as any activity that keeps the attention pleasantly anchored in the present moment. When the mind is calm and focused in the present, it is neither reacting to memories from the past nor being preoccupied with plans for the future, two major sources of chronic stress known to impact health. "Meditation," says Dr. Borysenko, "helps to keep us from identifying with the 'movies of the mind."

www.1stholistic.com...

The benefits of meditation from www.1stholistic.com...

Physical Benefits

Deep rest-as measured by decreased metabolic rate, lower heart rate, and reduced work load of the heart.
Lowered levels of cortisol and lactate-two chemicals associated with stress.
Reduction of free radicals- unstable oxygen molecules that can cause tissue damage. They are now thought to be a major factor in aging and in many diseases.
Decreased high blood pressure.
Higher skin resistance. Low skin resistance is correlated with higher stress and anxiety levels.
Drop in cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is associated with cardiovascular disease.
Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing. This has been very helpful to asthma patients.
Younger biological age. On standard measures of aging, long-term Transcendental Meditation (TM) practitioners (more than five years) measured 12 years younger than their chronological age.
Higher levels of DHEAS in the elderly. An additional sign of youthfulness through Transcendental Meditation (TM); lower levels of DHEAS are associated with aging.

Psychological Benefits

Increased brain wave coherence. Harmony of brain wave activity in different parts of the brain is associated with greater creativity, improved moral reasoning, and higher IQ.
Decreased anxiety.
Decreased depression.
Decreased irritability and moodiness.
Improved learning ability and memory.
Increased self-actualization.
Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
Increased happiness.
Increased emotional stability.

Transcendental Meditation is a technique that I think most of us would benefit from and does not involve any real experience in the matter. For those who have never done meditation before or wish to have a different kind of experience, try this on for size.

Transcendental Meditation is by far the most thoroughly researched in terms of its benefits for mental, physical, and social health TM is a simple mental technique, easy to learn and practice. Anyone can learn it within a few days and can begin to experience beneficial results almost immediately. Since 1958, 4 million people have learned TM and over five hundred scientific studies have been conducted on it at over two hundred universities worldwide.

TM is one of the easiest meditation techniques to learn. When you learn TM, an instructor gives you a word or phrase-your personal mantra-which you promise not to divulge. You are told to sit quietly with your eyes closed and repeat the mantra over and over again for 20 minutes at a time once or twice a day.

The mantra functions to focus your mind on a single idea, representing the "oneness" of the universe. You're instructed to assume a passive, accepting attitude while repeating your mantra. When distracting thoughts intrude, you're instructed to simply observe them, accept them and gently return your mental focus to repeating your mantra.

www.1stholistic.com...

I hope you are all meditating daily. If not, try to do it at least 3 times a week. This will not only help yourself out, but it will give our fellow ATSers an incite that they may not have on their own.

For those who already engage in meditation, great for you!

Biggie

P.S. I just wanted to add one more thing. We are dealing with the unknown here. I want everyone to be as careful as possible. If you suddenly get a massive fear for no apparent reason, stop meditating. We do not need anyone to break out into schizophrenia over the course of this project.

Please, please be extra cautious when dealing with this kind of subject. None of us really knows what we are getting ourselves into and the astral plane is not always the nicest place to be.

Thank you all for sharing this experience with me, I greatly appreciate your help.

Direct any and all questions to myself or SteveR and we will respond promptly.

Thank you again!

[edit on 6-7-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well, something really strange happens when I go into a meditative state.

I see this pure white image. At first it just looks like a swirl of whiteness and darkness, then I start to see movement. I can't describe it as anything other than a "fluttering" movement of the image. When I try to focus in on the image, my attention is broken.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Hey fellas, I hope everyone is keeping up.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's experiences in the realm of extra sensory perception whether it be involved with meditation or not. I don't think its that important if meditation was used during an ESP event, just the idea that life is not all that it seems.

Granted, most people will need firsthand experience to believe anything, heck I do most times. I don't expect many believers in evolution to agree with what is said in this discussion.

Let's all keep an open mind here. Nothing is fact, all is perception remember. Everyone perceives similar ideas in different ways. That does not make anyone's truth any more or less real than the next person's.

Just wanted to clarify that.

Ok back to the topic at hand.

I have been doing some research on 'ESP' and meditation while at the same time pursuing our goals as stated in the first few posts of this project.

I have found quite an interesting amount of information that I would like to share with you all.

We are not the first group of people to research the ESP phenomenon (did I spell that correctly?). Back in the 30s, a professor at Duke conducted tests on the aforementioned topic.

Source: www.themystica.com...

The first card-guessing ESP experiments were conducted by Rhine at Duke University in 1930. The cards consisted of five designs, now called ESP symbols, a square, a circle, a plus sign, a five pointed star, and a set of three wavy lines. The symbols were printed singly, in black ink, on cards resembling playing cards.

In the classic Rhine experiments on ESP, the subject tries to guess or "call" the order of the five symbols when they are randomly arranged in a deck of 25 ESP cards. The likelihood of calling a card correctly by chance is one in five. Therefore, it is possible to calculate how often a particular score is likely to occur by chance in a given number of calls. It was Rhine'' argument that when his subjects made high scores that could be expected by chance only once in a thousand tries, or once in a million, they displayed "extrachance" results, or ESP.

The early experiments faced several criticisms. Two were automatically dismissed: (1) The statistics were unsound which was refuted by the president of the American Mathematical Association. (2) That ESP is physical impossibility which begs the question.

Several appropriate criticisms were accepted by Rhine which he used to improve his experiments. Examples are: (1) There may have been sensory cues. An example of this is that if a strong light shined on the back of the ESP cards, it might be possible to see the symbol through the back. Currently to avoid this possibility the target card is covered by an oblique shielding, or kept far from the subject. (2) An experimenter that knows the target might whisper it or otherwise give a cue to the subject. Presently no one in contact with the subject knows the target. (3) More hits might be recorded than actually occurred.. Currently hits and responses are recorded by machine or by someone not knowing either.

Information continued at source.

From the same source, interesting subject material.

In New Frontiers of the Mind (1937) Rhine said that ESP experiments were changing the way people thought the mind sensed information. Historically learned people held the human mind received information through the ordinary five senses, and that therefore, the mind is subject to the laws of the mechanical world. Laboratory tests have attempted to determine the existence of ESP, and discover the physical mechanism by which it operates. "The mind has been equated with the brain, and scientists search to discover how ESP registers in the brain/mind."

However, increasing evidence is demonstrating that ESP does exist, but it cannot be explained or quantified by physical laws; and furthermore, that the mind (consciousness) and the brain are two separate entities. Simultaneously, research in quantum physics points to the existence of a second, nonmaterial universe. So, the time is fast approaching when Western scientists must come to terms with the Eastern mystical concept: "that an extrasensory force exists in another realty, and intersects and integrates with the physical world."

Same experiment, different source: www.williamjames.com...

ESP Self-Tests

ESP Info

A university in Chicago actually has a class on the paranormal

More to be added later tonight.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Hey, I'm updating as promised

Alright, I have a little more research in regards to meditation and alternative healing methods.

I have been practicing a Japanese healing method called 'reiki.'

www.reiki.org...

Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.

The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "life force energy". So Reiki is actually "spiritually guided life force energy."

This is a similar concept to 'quantum touch.'

Below is something called 'chakra meditation.' Focus your intention on each chakra as you move up with each mantra.

Here is a picture of chakras to help you visualize your healing (or look at my avatar).

Chakra Meditation

Chakra Meditation

Guided chakra meditation with music

Body Alignment Technique

www.reiki-for-holistic-health.com...

PURPOSE OF THE CHAKRA BALANCING SELF-MEDITATION

The purpose of the chakra balancing meditation is to open and clear the chakras the Reiki way. It will align higher frequency energies and also purify/release any stored negative energy from your body/aura.

An ATS member's site 'Society of Light'

[edit on 12-7-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Withdrawing from this project until further notice.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
OK I don't really know how to start with this one so here it goes...

I had a dream/vision last night right before bed. It was around 1am or so PST just so you have an understanding of what condition I was in (tired).

I'm not sure if I'll be able to recollect every single detail, but that may come at a later date.

So, all of a sudden I was in some fiery realm not unlike hell (or my understanding of what it would look like if it indeed exists). I was an angel, with a set of white wings.

I felt trapped. I immediately jumped up from where I was standing (a furnace of sorts) and flew upwards. There was between 7 and 9 layers of this realm. I flew through each successive layer as if it were nothing. I remember about 30-50 feet per level.

Around the 7th layer I flew right next to what I perceived to be a waterfall...And I noticed a dragon-type creature with another being on its back. I attacked this dragon with a sort of energy ball and flew up through another layer. I put a golden cover over the hole I made so it wouldn't follow me...And I noticed a few golem-type creatures on this next level who seemed extremely frightened due to my presence. Then I reached the surface after bursting through another ceiling and placed a manhole cover over that hole...

And I was back on the surface of Earth, in the middle of a city (concrete jungle).

I then flew out into the universe, tried to take a look at the far side of the moon. I continued my journey around our solar system until a white light seemed to grab me up and transport me into another dimension/realm.

I saw a 'mandala' very similar to this one in the middle of my viewing area (I wouldn't call it space because I seemed to be immersed in white light):

This picture seemed to open up like a lotus flower and turned into an elevator-like machine.

When it stopped, I was standing in the middle of a vast hall which reminded me of a great room of a castle...Basking in white light I felt instantly at peace. It was nothing compared to the hardships I had just endured in 'hell.'

I then basically woke up, unafraid of anything. I felt great serenity and calm...Nothing and I mean nothing could hurt me.

...Then around 4am I had a really high fever and felt cold right down to my bones...

So I can't say if it was an OOBE, which I believe it was, or if it was a hallucination.

I thought it was very fascinating though (I should have wrote this post last night to be honest I would have remembered greater detail). I hope more of it comes back to me later today...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Is anyone meditating?

There hasn't been one post in a long time.

You signed up for the project, no one forced you into it.

Ok, enough of the lecturing.

Please just somebody respond

I am aware the project guidelines include experiencing the 'paranormal' through means other than our five senses, but I felt a scientific background would help convince some skeptics (maybe?
).

Fourth Dimension - Tetraspace

Fourth Dimension. Now, the final step. Take the non-infinite cube and extrude it in yet another direction perpendicular to the first three. But how can we do this? It is impossible to do within the restrictions of the third dimension (which will I refer to as realmspace in this webpage). However, within the fourth dimension (which I call tetraspace), it is possible. The shape that results from this extrusion of a cube into tetraspace is called a tesseract, which is a 4-hypercube. All tesseracts differ from other tesseracts in size by four measurements (equal to each other within a single tesseract) - width, length, height, and a fourth measurement, which I call trength. Looking back to the previous n-dimensional cubes, they all have the same trength, which is infinitely small. Just like the cube and square, all of the edges within a single tesseract are the same length, and all of the angles are right angles. If you expanded the tesseract infinitely, it would cover four-dimensional space.

3 ways of identifying the 4th dimension:

1). 'Inner projection'

2). 'Parallel projection of a skewed tesseract'

3). 'Parallel Projection into realmspace'

Physicists probe for fifth dimension

The cosmos would make perfect sense … if it turns out we're living in a 10- or 11-dimensional realm where gravity is bubbling off a different plane entirely. At least that's what's emerging as the hottest concept on the frontier of physics.

The claim that the cosmos has more than the four dimensions we can perceive — that is, three spatial dimensions plus time — is exotic enough. But the quest to prove that claim brings in a virtual menagerie of mysteries: mini-black holes and dark matter, gravitational waves and cosmic inflation, super-high-energy particle collisions and ultra-powerful gamma-ray bursts.

In short, 4th dimension is space and 5th dimension is time. They make up space-time.

(Note, I could be confusing the two so correct me if I'm mistaken).

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Is anyone meditating? There hasn't been one post in a long time.

Please just somebody respond

I hope you do not mind my interjection...

A Meditative Journey to a Twelveth Dimension and Beyond

by Sri Oracle

-------------------------

You have a point before you; non-dimensional space.
You extend that point linearly; the first dimension.
You extend the line perpendicular to its length to become a plane, the second dimension.
Adding volume to the plane, you create the cubical third dimension.

You choose a point to be the "center" of that cubical space. Imagine it to be the heaviest most dense point; perhaps off-true-center.

The x,y, and z values of your point, relative to the absolute center of the third dimensional space defined, can then correspond to the fourth, fifth, and sixth dimensions.

Your central point within your 3rd dimensional universal space now begins to grow.
It gains length, then width, then height. The 7th, 8th and 9th dimensions are revealed to you.

Your object now looks like an "inward" projection of 4th dimensional space.
But rather than defining the "inwardness" (trength) of the object you have established its "positional inwardness".

You are in a universe of defined size. You know that within that universe you are positioned. You also know at that position, you occupy a defined space.

Now within that defined space, define a center. The tenth, eleventh and twelveth dimension reveal themselves as the weighted center (xyz) of the object within your defined space.

You stand in a universe of dimension.
Within that universe you have position.
At that position you have personal dimension.
Of your personal dimension you have a center.

The thickness of your defined center within your personal dimensions, as specifically located within the universe of defined size is then the 12th dimension.

Hold yourself there; in the thick glob of your personal center... aware of your location and density relative to the known universe.

Say to yourself, "I am here."

Say to yourself, "The time is now."

The 13th dimension now extends linearly from your center, backwards and forwards to encompass every iteration, that has been or ever will be, of the thick center, that we know to be the self within the defined universe.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
It has been several months since the last post.

This research project is closed. I may start another ESP/meditation research project if there are active participants.

Thank you all who helped.

G

top topics

join