It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Earths missing bees be helping terraform Mars?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod

So ok from a what you have been taught yes Mars has a thin non earth like atmosphere but could there be bio habitats would they need bees? water? ...if you piece all the bits together then it makes such a possibility not all that hard to believe alternatively if you wish to say from a purely scientif background thats a load of - then you have the right too, because your not wrong.

Again -
1) there's not much point taking huge quantities of bees from all over the US - one hive can pollinate a LOT of trees, how big a dome are you hypothesizing?

2) in CCD only the workers are missing, the queen is still in the hive

3) workers without a queen generally don't do well - bees don't last but a few weeks before you need to replace them

4) it doesn't make a lot of sense to send worker bees anyway, when you can box up a nice young fertilized queen that's only a few ounces for the little box, the queen and some grub. Let the queen make all the workers in situ.

5) If you've got UFOs at your disposal, you don't need to take lakes. There is plenty of ice out there. You'd probably want to slam some asteroid sized ice chunks into Mars at some point to provide some water and maybe crack the tectonic plates apart again. No outgassing = no atmosphere.

Why not postulate that grays like bees for snacks? Maybe a nice bee is like popcorn. They've finally gone into production and they're harvesting them with a big bee-vac.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
OK byrd - no argument there. Could they be used in an enclosed area with an artificial environment? on Mars or inside Mars would bees be important for such a task as keeping humans fed over an extended period of time? ALong with the vanishing water and the enormous black budget do you think it could be done or even if it is possible?

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Tom - maybe they like pure mountain lake water, maybe they dont want astronomers to see asteroids hitting mars - maybe they cant target asteroid hits and are worried about hitting their bases - who knows and as for the bees I dont know about workers / queens and bee popcorn but as usual on ATS anyone starts a interesting subject the sarcasm flows - their is a bee decline and I got interested in the idea that one or more hives could possibly be used note the word possibly for those who cant grasp an idea, to help polination within an enclosed bio sphere say the size a small town 2-3,000 population. The question again is would they need bees? hello. ANd one other possibility is that asteroid water may not be fit for human consumption just another possibility.

Do you work for the ...........

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod...who knows and as for the bees I dont know about workers / queens and bee popcorn but as usual on ATS anyone starts a interesting subject the sarcasm flows - their is a bee decline and I got interested in the idea that one or more hives could possibly be used note the word possibly for those who cant grasp an idea, to help polination within an enclosed bio sphere say the size a small town 2-3,000 population. The question again is would they need bees? hello. ANd one other possibility is that asteroid water may not be fit for human consumption just another possibility.

Do you work for the ...........

Well, the tiny bit of sarcasm there was due to the weird confusion of scope I'm feeling.

CCD may end up killing 50% of the hives in the US. That's a lot of bees. But you're talking some dome structure not much bigger than a carrier to hold 2-3000 people.

Something that size - you're talking 3 maybe 4 hives, tops, if it was all flowering food plants. If you put half the bees in the US in there, it would be crawling with them like a horror movie.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I would like to make a few points about this theory. first This plan wont take place for many years.If at all. do to funding problems it may not.

And bees dont live very long so i dont see what the point would be taking them now.I would say it is due to pesticides or maybe some other planetary problems that is causing the bees to leave the hive and move onto some other location.

I was fishing about two weeks ago here in ohio along the little miami river and i seen thousands of bees feeding on the small flowering plants along the shore.

I see them every year here. Ill update you if i start to see them decline or even vanish.

If the queens where also missing from these hives, then i would say someone might be taking them.But for the previous reasons i highly doubt it.

Now i have a question. How many recorded cases of this is there. because if its just a handful, how do we know if its true and not some tactic to drive the price of food through the roof. Some hidden agenda.They managed to raise fuel prices. The price of milk is about to double. What else can the governments of the world do to make us pay more. They have some heavy expenses and no way to pay for them.

I predict they will rake us over the coals until there is nothing left for them to get. Then they will tell us how they are working on helping us to solve these problems. But in order to help us they need more funding. So taxes will increase and we will be happy to pay, because we will have no other choice. This is just a theory of mine based on what i see going on in the world. tell me what you think. Im always glad to hear all sides. I will keep an open mind.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I have not read any posts except the OP's post, so forgive me, but these are my initial thoughts.

1 - Bees could not survive on mars...physically impossible.

2 - IF the bees could survive, it would take multi BILLIONS to have even a minute effect on the attmosphere of any planet, let alone mars.

3 - The number of missing / dead bees is miniscule in relation to the total number of bees on earth.

4 - Scientists have given many plausable explanantions for dissapearance of said bees.

5. If I'm way off about the OPS post, forgive me, I've been up for 2 days and cannot think straigt

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Thanks for all the responses, I have allot more facts that i didn't think of before.However part of my point that some of you aren't understanding is the fact that we may be much further along than the public is told. For instance, we didnt hear about the stealth bomber and other things until many years after they existed. And before they existed they were developed many years before that even. Now if terraforming Mars could only take 30 years as some scientists are saying. And they are leaking the information. Then how far into this 30 year process could we be?
would there come a point that we would actually need Bees, how many would we need, and would we be able to grow enough there from queens? Or would there even be a need to take them from earth at all? This wouldn't be inside some glass bubble environment as if we just landed there. Lets just rewind time from the lets say 10 years or more. As if its a secret being held like the stealth bomber or something like that. Now 10 years into this project would be 1/3 into a near completion. now wouldn't that be about the time we would need bees? maybe carbon levels and atmosphere are different than we know. And in its current condition it may be easier to terraform mars than it would be to repair earth from its downhill course.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by captain spalding Lets just rewind time from the lets say 10 years or more. As if its a secret being held like the stealth bomber or something like that. Now 10 years into this project would be 1/3 into a near completion. now wouldn't that be about the time we would need bees? maybe carbon levels and atmosphere are different than we know. And in its current condition it may be easier to terraform mars than it would be to repair earth from its downhill course.

That was a point I made on my first post, I think.

It's not something you can hide.

You can actually see Mars pretty well with a really nice amateur telescope setup, say a 12" reflector in an area with pretty good elevation.

The appearance of a dense atmosphere would be obvious.

We were able to determine if a planet had a gaseous atmosphere, how much of one, and what gases were in it long before we had interplanetary probes. It doesn't take NASA, They® can't keep everyone quiet all the time. A well-equipped astronomy department at a University could spectroscopically measure the gases as well as the amounts.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by captain spalding
Thanks for all the responses, I have allot more facts that i didn't think of before.However part of my point that some of you aren't understanding is the fact that we may be much further along than the public is told. For instance, we didnt hear about the stealth bomber and other things until many years after they existed. And before they existed they were developed many years before that even.

Well, the flying wing idea wasnt new. And the reason the stealth was such a well kept secret is because it wasnt being made at just one place. there where many aerospace contractors working on different parts. They didnt know what the parts where for. I was lucky enough to see the stealth before most of the public. Only because i had friends that worked for lockheed. And we all gathered around the outside fence of burbank airport and watched it come over the san gabriel mountain range and do a touch and go on the main runway. Now that was quite a site, let me tell you.But it wasnt a project that took many years to complete. it was Just a few years. and it was only kept secret because of the different contractors making parts didnt know what they where building these parts for.My point being that if lets say the government was building ufos, the secret couldnt be kept very long before someone opens there mouth and tells someone else.(Oh, isnt that whats happining now) people that where employed through the government coming forward with claims of secret operations and mind blowing technology being produced. But the problem will always be getting enough proof to convince most people. If the Government had already been building this structure on mars, dont you think not only someone in our government would have leaked it. and other countries would have some observation from telescopes seeing that the atmosphere was changing on the red planet.Space exploration alone is very expensive and I dont believe they will get to the stage of sending lifeforms to mars for atleast another 50 years or more.

But im just a normal guy with no training or experience in these fields. So i could possibly be wrong about that. I just want to present you with some different views of why it cant be. I still dont believe that humans can travel past the radiation belt. So i dont believe that bees could.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Tom, What I am talking about is kind of like kick starting the process. The way you say it is like cooking a tv diner in the sun at room temperature. What I am basically saying is that if they were to create some form of plant life before allowing it to do this on its own wouldn't those plants(MASS ABUNDANCE!!!!)
be able to transform the CO2 and what have you, that much faster. Kind of like a microwave can cook food faster than an oven. Ah maybe not, or maybe. Unless you guys have a powerful enough telescope to see the surface than I don't know.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by parry noid
Tom, What I am talking about is kind of like kick starting the process. The way you say it is like cooking a tv diner in the sun at room temperature.

Sure, but you and Captain Spalding are discussing two very divergent things. So my replies to him are different than those to you. He's espousing that the planet is already far gone down the road to terraforming, and that we can't tell because we're dependent on NASA for all our data, which isn't so. You, on the other hand, seem to think that you can set up a few greenhouses to get a bunch of seedlings going, then go outside and plant them and they'll flourish, which also isn't so.

What I am basically saying is that if they were to create some form of plant life before allowing it to do this on its own wouldn't those plants(MASS ABUNDANCE!!!!) be able to transform the CO2 and what have you, that much faster.

Well, probably not, at least not as I understand what you're saying. If you mean, would it take a LOT of bacteria, algae, lichen and the like to speed things up, yep. If you mean, if we had a few acres of apple trees instead of a few, won't they be ok, then nope. They'll be suffocated tree-sicles the first day. Again, there's a scope thing here I don't know if you're envisioning clearly - a planet's surface is a big big thing.

The plant produce of a few city sized domes isn't squat compared to the size of a planet. It took a long long long time for the bacteria, green algal goop, moss and lichens to make decent soil for the first cycads to grow in. You can't readily start with an arid, freezing environment with no oxygen (and beans for air pressure!) and go plant pines to fix things up. You'll have to start with plants that can deal with that environment and work your way up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join