It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who's the best artist of all time ??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I've started this forum to see who you'll choose as the greatest artist of all time from the begining of its era up to now.Anyone is entitled to to choose whoever they think is the best but would have to suffer the consequences of other bloggers who might disagree with your decision.Feel free to provide images with your reply and share with us what comics you like that the person you chose has done so in later posts I'll show you who's my number one pick. If you would like to get some quick referance you could go on www.comicartcommunity.com,

[edit on 3-7-2007 by steve-o]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Who do you think is the best?

Tough call I think. Where would comics be today without Jack Kirby? His and Steve Ditko character designs are amazing and have lasted decades.

Growing up I was a big fan of Jim Lee's work. Everything he penciled looked amazing to me.

Right now my favorite artists are Frank Cho and Leinil Yu who are coincidently working on the Avenger's books. I'm also really enjoying Ariel Olivetti's work on Punisher War Journal.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
...I think Jack Kirby really was "the King"!

His work was iconic, even mythic... His influence

is even felt today... There wouldn't be any

Silver Surfer without Kirby ...

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Used to love Joe Maduiera when i was into comics and I liked Adam Pollina's X-force stuff.My knowledge of this is pretty limited on this subject though i only read comics for a couple of years during the mid nineties and usually got X-men related stuff.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
...For #2 I would nominate Jean Giraud (Moebius), the French

cartoonist. I really love "The Airtight Garage (of Jerry Cornelius)

...Hated the Marvel/Epic version for the poor coloring, and bad translation.

To me Major Gurbert will always be

"The Timeless Aristocrat."

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't think Ed Mcguinness is the best of the best on what contributions he made to comics but the man's style is reminesant of the "king" Jack Kirby.His style is similar to the way I draw ,and his work after superman/batman has became more polished and a feel of mass compared to the work of John Romita Jr.Another thing I forgot to mention was that he's scheduled to be the penciller in "Ultimates 4" which might come out a few months after Joe Mad! those a few issues of "Ultimates 3".Hope those of you out there keep posting who you think is #1 or next to that top spot,and a special thanks for those who have already posted on this thread,keep them posts rolling and have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
... For # 3 I nominate Masamune Shirow the Japanese Manga artist.

Appleseed is great... But,Ghost in the Shell is more well

known.. You should check out his coffeetable Art books

Intron Depot I and II...

[edit on 5-7-2007 by cosmokatt7]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the recomendation cosmokatt7,since I was'nt really a manga fan to begin with but this guy's work is pretty cool and flashy and is not like any traditional I've seen before .The next man I'm gonna bring to my fictional list has got to be Ed Benes. His art is like a perfect blend of Michael Turner and Jim Lee in one.He has his own website called ed benes art,if there are those of you out there who don't know him check the site out.He's currently working on DC's JLA title I think since he's signed an exclusive contract to be with DC ,so there is no hope of him being on marvel 'till this contract expires.Like I've said before thanks to everyone out there ,read some comics ,discovere new artists,and best of all have a great time posting and spreading info.

[edit on 5-7-2007 by steve-o]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
...Glad you could appreciate Shirow, steve-o...

I'm something of an amateur cartoonist myself...

I even had an illustration published in The Fandom Directory

a few years ago...

For #4 I want to nominate a classic newspaper cartoonist...

Alex Raymond from the original Flash Gordon

newspaper strips.... Actually, this work has perhaps never been

surpassed!

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the addition of Alex Raymond to the fictional list cosmokatt7,I did some research and found out he had died in a car accident in the same car he had featured in a couple of strips,which was pretty weird and could have been put in a scene in "Final Destination".His art style is that classic feel that I could never achieve in my work ,it's something that only a few people could achieve like the late great Will Eisner whose work was shown in the jewish museum of art in manhattan,which I had seen first hand when it was up.His work and the work of Neal Adams,who graduated from the high school I went to which has such allumni as Joe Mad! ;Jamal Igle;John Romita Sr;and Mark Texiera. The school was a great moment in my history and I also got myself an original Joe Mad! comic page he had done in high school since I had the same teacher that he had in my senior year.Thanks for the posts and hope we continue to spread our thoughts on who deserves to be on this fictional list.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
lenil yu art Lenil francis yu is on the #15 spot due to his detailed pencil renderings and variant covers he has done for marvel's death of captain america and other X-men related work.Right now I'm drawing some sketches of nightcrawler and my favorite mutant slasher wolverine ,I would love to show some of my one work but I seem to not know how to at the time.Feel free to post work of your own or post images or even websites to check on, to those of are'nt nocturnal good night and don't let the bed bugs bite,and don't forget to post the next day.
:bash:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I always liked the work of Wilce Portacio and Jim Lee
back in the mid 90 when I was collecting comics

Barry Windsor Smith was also a favorite

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah those are still my top favorite as well DarkStormCrow, I've have gotten almost all of there creator works over the years . I got every issue of Wildcats and almost the whole collection of Wetworks.I still have them in mint condition so I could sell them when they have exceeded in worth to be able to live off of them,I wish. Well I've gotta go now ,again thanks for the posts and continue to contribute to make this thread more interesting.
:w:

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Another guy guy that rocks in style , not in realism but in cartoonish form, is the guy who created Hellboy,Mike Mignola,who had made it all the way to hollywood with his own creation which is something I'd like to do with my own future creations. official bio

[edit on 6-7-2007 by steve-o]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

With the help of a "friend" of mine who's in ATX, I have been able to upload some pics, finally. I hope you enjoy these pics by Joe Mad!

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I'm posting again,since I've got nothing better to do at the moment but post.This guy's my # 33 pick on my fictional list.

John Byrne has been in the industry for a while and has contributed in establishing the two big company's flagship characters such as the Hulk,Superman,and the X-men.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
My favorite comic book artist out of the plethora of talented artists who have worked in this wonderful genre? A tough one. However, if I could only pick one artist it would have to be Neal Adams.

Besides his comic work, his work for the proprietary rights of the comic book artists has been one of the reasons that so many artists have entered the business.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your pick Benevolent Tyrant, I'm a fan of Neal Adams as well ,which led me to go to the High School Art and Design where Adams graduated from a long time ago.The school was great and met other talented artists/friends with the same interests as me, for those of you who have'nt seen his work here's some pics.Hope ya enjoy it,and keep on posting.

[edit on 8-7-2007 by steve-o]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My next pick is a guy that I've looked up to in the comic biz and was one of the top artist after his run on Danger Girl ,is the coolist guy to meet in person, J.Scott Campbell.His work is similar in style to the work seen in some clasic disney movies , and can't be compared with any other comic artist besides Art Adams, hope you enjoy.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
...While there are many obvious choices...I think Landronn is an

artist to watch. His early work was reminicent of Kirby, and Moebius...

later he seemed to influenced by Juan Gimenez... Slowly, he has been

developing his own "style"....

www.marvel.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join