It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yawning cools the blood to refresh your brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yawning cools the blood to refresh your brain

www.dailymail.co.uk

Researchers at the State University of New York in Albany found that yawning boosts blood flow and chills the brain. Vessels in the nasal cavity send cool blood to the brain during a yawn, making it operate more efficiently, said Dr Gordon Gallup, who led the study.

..."According to our hypothesis, rather than promoting sleep, yawning should antagonise sleep," he said.

The researchers also have an explanation for why yawns are so contagious...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ask.yahoo.com
www.medicinenet.com
universalfacts.blogspot.com

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have always wondered why we yawn? I was and am still convinced that yawns are contagious.

Anyhow, it seems that some science types have hypothesized why we yawn.

Finally an answer to my question.

What do you think yawning is for? The same thing as our appendix?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
That was really interesting. Nice to see they know what it's for, anyway. I used to get embarrassed because I always yawned in class, but I couldn't help it. It makes sense that you yawn more when you're tired, because if you're up and yawning, you're fighting the natural urge to sleep.

Somebody ought to tell the Mythbusters so they can update their contagious yawning show.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Interesting find, thanks for posting this.

I always assumed yawning was an involuntary sometimes addictive way to increase oxygen levels.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
That is really interesting. I have always wondered why yawning is contagious.

This remind me of a site my friend sent me this morning- www.wakeuppeople.com. It's an online yawn-a-thon where people can submit photos of their yawns. It's really funny! You can send personalized e-cards too that talk too! It's a fun mid-day distraction when you are stuck at work when everyone else is on vacation

new topics

top topics

join