It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gordon Brown sets out constitutional reform 'roadmap'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Gordon Brown has outlined a series of constitutional changes which he says will make the British government a "better servant of the people".

MPs would be given the final say on declaring war and on international treaties and would have a "bigger role" in approving public appointments.

Mr Brown also proposed Commons committees for each English region.

He added that election day could be moved to weekends and said he would create a national security council.

Linked to this he would "regularly publish" a national security strategy.

His proposals - in which he suggested a "bill of rights" could eventually be published after public consultation - were not a "final blueprint" but a "route map" towards change, he said.

Source: BBC News

What do you all think? There are further links on the BBC site, including the transcript of the full speech and a list of key points.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Looks good on paper dont it. Is he not trying to make us like the US? or somethig similar. Knows we have the Human rights, but having our own Bill of rights in the UK would be a good thing.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Gordon Brown sets out proposals to reduce the power of patronage and that of his own office of PM.

Very interesting.

So much for those ludicrous tory jibes that GB was, at heart, a controlling 'stalinist'.

I also liked the comments about these proposals being just steps on the journey and not the final destination, as it were.

We'll have to await further consultation and developments but so far it's looking good - nice too to see he has kept the promise (early) over the democratisation of the decison of the nation going to war.

GB's impressed me since becoming PM, some wondered how he could possibly be seen to be 'different' and enact policies that were genuinely 'different' given the role he played in the last 10yrs but I think only the most partisan could deny that he has shown just that.

The ideas to extend additional accountability of the executive/Parliament is very welcome.

[edit on 3-7-2007 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
This is what I envisage in an actual Prime Minister, not some continuously smiling slime ball whose more interested in a photo op but rather a thinker and a reformer who looks like they understand that the Government is the servant of the people.

The reforms are looking good and while I suspect some of them have been sitting on the back burner for a while its good to see them announced.

This new Government, because lets face it its basically a new Government with new leadership and a new direction, could have some potential and it'll be interesting to see how it differs from Tony (thank God he's gone) Blair's previous Government.

[edit on 4-7-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
This is what I envisage in an actual Prime Minister, not some continuously smiling slime ball whose more interested in a photo op but rather a thinker and a reformer who looks like they understand that the Government is the servant of the people.

- Jeez Wizard I thought you were more up on UK politics than that, I can't believe you'd thought he'd gone.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that David 'I-never-saw-a-passing-bandwagon-I-didn't-feel-compelled-to-be-seen-to-leap-onboard' Cameron is still very much the current tory candidate to be PM.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- Jeez Wizard I thought you were more up on UK politics than that, I can't believe you'd thought he'd gone.

I had a minor panic for a second then, please don't ever do that again...

Cameron is just as bad as Blair, apart from the fact Cameron is still around, thankfully I can't see Brown stuping to their levels of "look at me I'm Prime Minister" or "I pretend to ride a bike to work"...

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
[I had a minor panic for a second then, please don't ever do that again...

-

I'm just glad it came over that way.

I was hoping you'd double-take.

Thanks for taking the wee jest in the spirit it was intended.

new topics

top topics

join