It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First artificial life "within Months"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

First artificial life \

www.telegraph.co.uk

Scientists could create the first new form of artificial life within months after a landmark breakthrough in which they turned one bacterium into another.

But this marks the first time that the entire instruction set, consisting of more than a million “letters” of DNA, has been transplanted, transforming one species of bacterium into another.

They are attempting to build a microbe with the minimal set of genes needed for life, with the goal of then adding other useful genes, such as ones for making biofuels.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/7/2007 by Now_Then]

[edit on 3-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Not really sure exactly how important this is right now, IMO this case is just Genitic Modification - but useing the whole genome - in a way that is simpler than having to locate a desired gene and modify it individually. (i'm no expert!)

But as the article says this is a landmark in Bio eng. I wonder how long it will be before this is happening in stem cells? Larger multicell orginasms would be far more impressive - something like fish, or even mamals. What about completly new groups of life - are we getting closer to growing and 'teaching' our computers? How would we feel when it's time to upgrade? Where will it end!?!

link
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/7/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
seriously that is just damn cool.

We are getting advanced children. Advanced...

Thanks for the news.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
its funny that they use the word creat ..

all they are doing is cutting and pasting things together ..

its called frankenstine. LOL.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The whole thing sounds pretty damn disturbing to me. How do we know that we don't have to worry about the robots taking over or something like that? I know its mostly paranoia from watching countless movies, but how do we know that that particular future isn't possible? I'm not trying to go off topic or anything, but you know that once they master aftificial life, it's only a manner of time before that knowledge is applied to robots and anything else they can concoct.

[edit on 3-7-2007 by Saturn]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
my concerns for things like artificial INTELLIGENCE more than for just artificial life are along the lines of this: if we give a robot full sentience and it is self aware, and then we make it do dangerous work, or any work for that matter....isnt that still slavery?

dunno, but the idea of "growing" our biofuels is something to research, cuz unless the guys into the abiotic oil studies are right, we're going to run out someday

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chibihogoshino
its funny that they use the word creat ..

all they are doing is cutting and pasting things together ..

its called frankenstine. LOL.

I agree with that on one hand.
But on the other...Isn't that what naturally created life does as well?
Cutting, and pasting.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saturn
but you know that once they master aftificial life, it's only a manner of time before that knowledge is applied to robots and anything else they can concoct.

[edit on 3-7-2007 by Saturn]

Thats right, different tech has a way of changing the direction of existing tech, leading to all sorts of devolopments that may not of even been envisonged.

Also when computing is involved things snowball, processing power is getting ever better, knoladge is power. When AI really comes of age, the computers may now have a viable replacement for the clever little monkeys that invented them all those years ago - a range of purpose designed dumb monkeys / elephents / spiders / hallibert / lizards etc they've grown in the basement

Mind you I'd pay good money for a mail order grow your own Angelina Jolie kit!

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
They wouldn't be able to make a smart robot for a long time. I also doubt they will have a conscience. Therefore, whatever it's programmed to do is what it will do. They have computers that can learn, but without a conscience, they are just algorithms finding out the best possible solutions to problems it comes across.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Yeah, you've for it there RandomThought, we are a long way off from true AI... there are plenty of very convincing, and well thought out programs that learn on their own... but in the end, that's all they are, adaptive programs.

DNA manipulation, for now, is the only answer we have in regards to creating new life.

But please, if there are any scientists and engineers who can prove me wrong and create true AI... please, by all means. I'd bow to you.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
If true AI did exist today, do you think it might be smart enough to hide from us?

new topics

top topics

join