It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Drug That Deletes Bad Memories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   

A New Drug That Deletes Bad Memories

www.livescience.com

Do you have a really bad memory, or past heartache, that you would prefer to forget?
Researchers at Harvard and McGill University (in Montreal) are working on an amnesia drug that blocks or deletes bad memories. The technique seems to allow psychiatrists to disrupt the biochemical pathways that allow a memory to be recalled.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-7-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Remember that movie "Total Recall" where Arnold Shwarzenegger's character gets his memory erased?? now we have the real thing, the possibilities are scary for this new drug, and it sounds kinda dangerous if you ask me.

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-7-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Yea I got a few my self but I wonder, is it healthy to build walls around bad memories?
Doesnt that just cause other problems?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
hmmm very reminiscent of the movie "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" very creepy too. I rather live with all my bad memories and heartaches, they make me who I am today. Picking and choosing what we choose to remember can be managed without drugs, you're right this is definitely dangerous, especially if used by the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
That's pretty scary. I don't see why any reasonable person would want such a thing done to them, also the drug is dangerous in my view because we don't know the long term psychological damage the person can get, if someone reminds them of these bad memories or they have a flashback to an event prior, then realise they have a lot of times where they "don't remember anything". Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind status!

And who knows? Maybe we'll have a new MK-ULTRA with this one.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I thought this was what excessive amounts of alcohol were for

Now they have a simple drug....?????

Well crap, there goes my excuse for over drinking

I'm starting to hate science!

This may actually work in severe cases of PTSD or other traumatic events that may occur in someones life. Imagine taking away the memory of having killed the wrong person in a time of war...especially if that person was a child.

Kill with impunity and you don't even have to worry about living the rest of your life with the results.

It's a brave new world indeed.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Picking and choosing what we choose to remember can be managed without drugs, you're right this is definitely dangerous, especially if used by the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

The part I dont get is how the drug can differeciate which memories get deleted??

I can see how this drug can help with victim's of sever rape and abuse assuming that it works like they say.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thats probably what the drug is for , all the service men coming back home from the war will start getting there scrips.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
There is an earlier existing breaking news discussion here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join